ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting double standard

phatcat

Nov 5, 2001
Wisconsin
Why is it that if a recruit verbally commits, they are not allowed to visit other schools, but Fitz will recruit other teams' verbal commits. I realize there is not a direct correlation, even if they recruit someone else at the same spot they won't pull the one commit's offer, but it just seems like it would be tough to reconcile to a recruit.

Further, let's say that we get a verbal commit, a "flip" from someone previously committed. How confident is Fitz that he is now really, positively committed?

I understand why both things occur, it just seems inconsistent.

Why is it that if a recruit verbally commits, they are not allowed to visit other schools, but Fitz will recruit other teams' verbal commits. I realize there is not a direct correlation, even if they recruit someone else at the same spot they won't pull the one commit's offer, but it just seems like it would be tough to reconcile to a recruit.

Further, let's say that we get a verbal commit, a "flip" from someone previously committed. How confident is Fitz that he is now really, positively committed?

Maybe because it is inconsistent.

Reactions: drewjin

To boil it down as simply as possible, an NU offer is a “guarantee” according to Fitz. If a recruit accepts the offer, stays out of trouble and keeps his grades up, his spot is secure. So the NU offer will not be pulled if the recruit gets injured or if a better player at the same position commits to NU.

Supposedly, NU is the only school that has this guarantee. Therefore, poaching other schools recruits is fine.

Because we are us and they are them.

Ire

It’s actually not inconsistent because it’s not a matter of ethics, it’s a matter of doing what is best for the team. It is not unethical to pull an offer if a commit visits other places, it’s like breaking up with a girlfriend who goes on other dates. But if you like a girl with a boyfriend you can still ask her out if you think you’re a better catch.

Ire

It’s actually not inconsistent because it’s not a matter of ethics, it’s a matter of doing what is best for the team. It is not unethical to pull an offer if a commit visits other places, it’s like breaking up with a girlfriend who goes on other dates. But if you like a girl with a boyfriend you can still ask her out if you think you’re a better catch.
Good to know that I’m not the only one who has compared recruiting to dating!

Doesn’t this question come up every year? If NU wants to offer a recruits spot that has given a verbal commitment and want to visit others, more power to them. Why should they reserve the spot? If they want to recruit a kid that is willing to take a chance that his original commitment won’t be honored after he visits NU, that is there choice. Not NU’s problem. He made the choice. Not inconsistent at all.

Reactions: CitizenCat

I can tell that you are not a lawyer. The parties to a contract determine its terms. Fitz can dictate the terms to people who want to attend NU on football scholarships. He regards commitments made to him as absolute pledges on both sides. Therefore, if a student visits other schools, that commitment has been breached and the contract is ended. NU is then freed from its commitment and is allowed to pursue someone to replace him. In consideration of the students' commitments to NU, NU also commits to them. No injury or performance issue will void the promise NU makes to that student. Conversely, Fitz has no contract with any other schools or any players who commit to other schools. His poaching of other schools' committed students breaches no commitment and violates no promises. This is not a matter of fairness, equity, or ethics, but simply of mutual promises agreed to by the parties. Do not make it harder than it is - it is pretty simple. Law school - first week of class.

I can tell that you are not a lawyer. The parties to a contract determine its terms. Fitz can dictate the terms to people who want to attend NU on football scholarships. He regards commitments made to him as absolute pledges on both sides. Therefore, if a student visits other schools, that commitment has been breached and the contract is ended. NU is then freed from its commitment and is allowed to pursue someone to replace him. In consideration of the students' commitments to NU, NU also commits to them. No injury or performance issue will void the promise NU makes to that student. Conversely, Fitz has no contract with any other schools or any players who commit to other schools. His poaching of other schools' committed students breaches no commitment and violates no promises. This is not a matter of fairness, equity, or ethics, but simply of mutual promises agreed to by the parties. Do not make it harder than it is - it is pretty simple. Law school - first week of class.
This was hard to read. I hope you never practiced.

Ire

I can tell you’re a PJ Fleck fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT