ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling news; prime time flexes

Styre

Oct 14, 2004
On May 31, the Big Ten will announce the first three weeks of the football schedule, including all kickoff times and TV information. They will also announce all homecoming start times and any Thursday or Friday night games.

The big news is that prime time games after the first three weeks will not be announced prior to the season. Instead, all games are eligible to be played in prime time, and kickoff times will be announced 12 days prior to game day like they are now. In other words, those of you who are making travel plans for NU games must now account for the possibility of the games being moved to night kickoffs on short notice.

Also, for those of you who aren't aware, FOX's new Big Ten rights agreement kicks in this season, meaning that games can potentially be on FOX, FS1, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, or BTN. I am not sure if the 11:00 AM/2:30 PM framework will be maintained or if there will be more flexibility in kickoff times with the new network options.

On May 31, the Big Ten will announce the first three weeks of the football schedule, including all kickoff times and TV information. They will also announce all homecoming start times and any Thursday or Friday night games.

The big news is that prime time games after the first three weeks will not be announced prior to the season. Instead, all games are eligible to be played in prime time, and kickoff times will be announced 12 days prior to game day like they are now. In other words, those of you who are making travel plans for NU games must now account for the possibility of the games being moved to night kickoffs on short notice.

Also, for those of you who aren't aware, FOX's new Big Ten rights agreement kicks in this season, meaning that games can potentially be on FOX, FS1, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS, or BTN. I am not sure if the 11:00 AM/2:30 PM framework will be maintained or if there will be more flexibility in kickoff times with the new network options.
To be clear, if I am coming in for Nevada, and they announce 230,, it will be 230 or night, no way back to 11?

Because if they say 230, I am already flying in on Saturday morning, and I can go to the hotel and drop stuff prior to game, and IDC if night, I'll just come up to Ryan later in the day

Last edited:
To be clear, if I am coming in for Nevada, and they announce 230,, it will be 230 or night, no way back to 11?

No -- once they announce a time, it's locked in. If they say 2:30, it's 2:30. We'll know the Nevada and Bowling Green game times on May 31. But all of the games after that will be listed as TBA and won't be announced until 12 days beforehand, and any of them could be played at night.

No -- once they announce a time, it's locked in. If they say 2:30, it's 2:30. We'll know the Nevada and Bowling Green game times on May 31. But all of the games after that will be listed as TBA and won't be announced until 12 days beforehand, and any of them could be played at night.

Except for homecoming, right? Several years ago when I was on my class's homecoming committee it was frustrating for us as we had to plan alternative scheduling for homecoming events not knowing when game time would be for sure. Hopefully now there is more certainty further in advance?

Styre: You seem to know so much about CFB broadcasts, perhaps you know the answer to my question.

In the UK (and possibly other overseas countries), Big Ten games are available on ESPN Player (the overseas version of ESPN 3) if they are being broadcast on an ESPN network or on BTN2Go International if the games are broadcast by BTN. All games are available on BTN2Go International 24 hours after the initial broadcast.

My question is: Do you have any idea how I would be able to watch any FOX games live from the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Except for homecoming, right? Several years ago when I was on my class's homecoming committee it was frustrating for us as we had to plan alternative scheduling for homecoming events not knowing when game time would be for sure. Hopefully now there is more certainty further in advance?

Correct - all homecoming kickoff times across the conference will be announced on May 31. TV networks will remain TBA until 12 days out.

FOX Sports Go is the best way, but many of the programs will be blocked if they conflict with international broadcast rights. FOX doesn't have an international streaming app like ESPN or BTN.

While Fox Sports coverage of, say, the NFL may run afoul of some international rights, I highly doubt that this pertains to any college sports.

I am a much happier fellow now that I have a slingbox. I see everything for free (well, I have to pay the cable bill for the tv of course).

One slight correction. Yes, on Wednesday, we'll learn kickoff times for first three weeks and for the Penn State homecoming game.

But as for the remaining games, assuming that the rules from past years remains in place, the networks will announce kickoff times either six or twelve days in advance. It's usually 12 days, but the networks sometimes choose to wait for game results on given weeks and then make a later decision on start times.

But as for the remaining games, assuming that the rules from past years remains in place, the networks will announce kickoff times either six or twelve days in advance. It's usually 12 days, but the networks sometimes choose to wait for game results on given weeks and then make a later decision on start times.

True, although at least one person has reported that the networks will not be able to use 6-day picks on prime time B1G games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT