ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for NU vs. Rutgers

Buie's wild-ass shots down the stretch are hurting us though.
Yeah he needs to play within the offense. We completely stop moving the ball when we get tight. The whole offense changes and we just dribble around. Boo was out so long but then wanted to do to much when back in the game.

Work the offense through Young. He makes good decisions and it will open up more shots.

Posters were complaining about Spencer in prior end game situations, but it’s Buie tonight. He’s playing out of control. Not unexpected, but still a bummer.

Have a chance here, though. It they can get a clean look for Kopp...

Reactions: drewjin
Maybe it speaks well of Boo that the play is “clear out for the freshman”? Maybe? Yeesh.

everyone standing.
Boo is very good. He needs to be able to also get a guy open with a pass at the end. He’ll get there.

Reactions: NUCat320
AJ was our best option to try to contain Baker. He’d also help having poise on offense, being a senior and all. But he sat on the bench till the last minute.

Kopp was being guarded by Harper, who seemed a step too slow all game. But we went with Buie 1-1 for at least 5 posessions in the last minutes. Terrible.

Reactions: drewjin and bjm989
4 points scored in the last 24 minutes. Absolutely inexcusable.

Guessing the play had more options but boo just dribbled to nowhere

Not necessarily. For the first six or seven years of Mike Brey's tenure, the end-of-game plays consisted of having Chris Thomas or Chris Quinn dribble around by themselves and fire up a shot, usually a bad one.

Yeah but you can’t blame it on Boo. That’s what they drew up. I can’t believe we don’t find a way to let Kopp take a shot.

He’s been playing hero ball the last several minutes.

I like him a-lot, but not really looking to get others involved, regardless of the design of the final play of regulation.

Maybe it speaks well of Boo that the play is “clear out for the freshman”? Maybe? Yeesh.

everyone standing.
It's actually Dook ball. Dook doesn't really have to coach that hard because they always have somebody on the court capable of hitting contested shots.

Collins needs to learn that NU doesn't have that luxury, and the coach actually needs to draw up a play to get an open shot.

It's actually Dook ball. Dook doesn't really have to coach that hard because they always have somebody on the court capable of hitting contested shots.

Collins needs to learn that NU doesn't have that luxury, and the coach actually needs to draw up a play to get an open shot.

That's it! These Duke alumni coaches, astoundingly, are not well-prepared.

That's it! These Duke alumni coaches, astoundingly, are not well-prepared.
Amazing how we make things happen when the ball moves and we go to the basket.

this is an interesting theory above. What bothers me so much is we couldn’t stop the bleeding away of our lead when being up 14.

I am sure there are others that are worse, but that is the most painful Cats game I hav watched in a long time.

Not necessarily. For the first six or seven years of Mike Brey's tenure, the end-of-game plays consisted of having Chris Thomas or Chris Quinn dribble around by themselves and fire up a shot, usually a bad one.

Obviously the plan was for boo to get a screen and drive. Rutgers played good d and the drive wasn’t there. Then boo had no idea and dribbled the clock out into a prayer shot. If there wasn’t an option for a pass to a shooter if the drive was taken away then we might as well fire CC

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
You, for sure, did not watch the game against Purdue.
I did. This one hurt more. It seemed like we kept a big lead so much longer.

the commentators are talking about needing a “closer”. Perhaps, but we need to run good offense to end the game. Probably does lie with the point guards more so than others. But we don’t really need a closer, we need to run good O at the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT