ADVERTISEMENT

shame on the seniors

haywood jahblowme

Aug 5, 2010
what a glaring difference to watch previous seniors give their all and everything for the cats and to watch this group bring no fire and passion to the game. i watched multiple plays yesterday where lindsey and skelly gave up easy back door plays and quit on plays, and while mcintosh played well he has been a no-show way too many times this year.

i actually turned the game off early for the first time this season

this is why we can't gain fans and respect! we had a chance to build on an amazing season and we lay an egg. guess we are back to being the same old NU

what a glaring difference to watch previous seniors give their all and everything for the cats and to watch this group bring no fire and passion to the game. i watched multiple plays yesterday where lindsey and skelly gave up easy back door plays and quit on plays, and while mcintosh played well he has been a no-show way too many times this year.

this is why we can't gain fans and respect! we had a chance to build on an amazing season and we lay an egg. guess we are back to being the same old NU
Agree, except for Bryant. He has had some games where he didn't shoot well but I have never seen a lack of effort. If anything he tries too hard and forces things leading to turnovers. Can't put him in the same box as Skelly and Lindsey.

Agree, except for Bryant. He has had some games where he didn't shoot well but I have never seen a lack of effort. If anything he tries too hard and forces things leading to turnovers. Can't put him in the same box as Skelly and Lindsey.
He could easily of sat out yesterday and he didn’t. That shows something too.

Reactions: mikewebb68

I will say that Vic Law, while not technically a senior from an eligibility standpoint, is really a max effort guy and I think without a doubt our closest thing to a team leader. Vic never looks to take off plays and is very vocal on the floor and when he is on the bench.

My honest opinion is that there is one player, pretty obvious to most who that is, who appears to be the biggest issue in the effort/team chemistry department. Note this is coming from someone though (me) that has no connection to the program and only watches games on TV like most others, so I could be way off. If true, I don't put all of this on that one player, but it surely isn't helping.

Which is probably why there are 4 Captains.....

For the record, I don’t agree with having four captains on a basketball team either. About 1/3rd of your roster is a captain- really? Two tops in my opinion. Having four captains tells me there is no true leader.

I will say that Vic Law, while not technically a senior from an eligibility standpoint, is really a max effort guy and I think without a doubt our closest thing to a team leader. Vic never looks to take off plays and is very vocal on the floor and when he is on the bench.

My honest opinion is that there is one player, pretty obvious to most who that is, who appears to be the biggest issue in the effort/team chemistry department. Note this is coming from someone though (me) that has no connection to the program and only watches games on TV like most others, so I could be way off. If true, I don't put all of this on that one player, but it surely isn't helping.
You're entitled to your opinion, but the entire team was MIA against Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

In Northwestern's only good effort of the season, Lindsey put up 17 against Purdue.

Lindsey's 25 saved NU from embarrassment against DePaul, and his 22 saved NU from embarrassment against Illinois.

It's nice to blame it on one guy - it means, after all, that all problems will be solved when he's gone. But it's so, so, so, so, so, so far from the truth.

NU believed every good thing written about it - Final Four contenders! There's no proof that *anybody* affiliated with the program got better this offseason. (Edit: Pardon worked on a jumper. I wish we saw it more.)

I bet it'd be a different story if our leading scorer slapped the floor a little more.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion, but the entire team was MIA against Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

In Northwestern's only good effort of the season, Lindsey put up 17 against Purdue.

Lindsey's 25 saved NU from embarrassment against DePaul, and his 22 saved NU from embarrassment against Illinois.

It's nice to blame it on one guy - it means, after all, that all problems will be solved when he's gone. But it's so, so, so, so, so, so far from the truth.

NU believed every good thing written about it - Final Four contenders! There's no proof that *anybody* affiliated with the program got better this offseason.

I bet it'd be a different story if our leading scorer slapped the floor a little more.

I think I pretty clearly said:

A) I don’t know if I am right or if it’s true.
B) Even if it is true, I don’t put it all on that one player.

Reactions: NUCat320

TTU, agree.

OU, that was just a team on fire that probably could have beaten anyone in the country that night. Trae was hitting from unreal distances. Not a lack of effort just a lack of talent and getting whipped by a better team.

GaTech, lack of effort. PSU, same. Early game against Loyola, same. Team has been VERY inconsistent to say the least.

I think I pretty clearly said:

A) I don’t know if I am right or if it’s true.
B) Even if it is true, I don’t put it all on that one player.
But your opinion is that there's one guy who is "pretty obvious[ly]" the "biggest issue". Your equivocation is the "not to make an excuse" of college basketball message board jibber jabber.

I would suggest that, if four seniors, coming off of a truly singular accomplishment, can't figure out a way to get along (that's what your suggestion is, right?), then it's on all of them.

For the record, I don’t agree with having four captains on a basketball team either. About 1/3rd of your roster is a captain- really? Two tops in my opinion. Having four captains tells me there is no true leader.
They could have 10 captains or zero captains and it means absolutely nothing. Please stop with that nonsense.

They could have 10 captains or zero captains and it means absolutely nothing. Please stop with that nonsense.

I think we have 6,800 captains and no one is doing a good job.

I watched the tape and NU got beaten by PSU because PSU’s 3 talented 4-star sophomores - Stevens, Watkins and Carr scored 60 points with Stevens having a career high 30 pts. while NU’s 4-star players - Law, Falzon, Ivaunauskas and Benson scored 10 points. Yes, not totally fair because RI is injured, but our team was relying on Falzon to be the primary substitute to Lumpkin and he has not because of his not being totally healed from a knee surgery. So we can rip on Lindsey but he has had to assume a larger role in the offense and he did so against DePaul but not against OU, UNL and PSU.

I watched the tape and NU got beaten by PSU because PSU’s 3 talented 4-star sophomores - Stevens, Watkins and Carr scored 60 points with Stevens having a career high 30 pts. while NU’s 4-star players - Law, Falzon, Ivaunauskas and Benson scored 10 points. Yes, not totally fair because RI is injured, but our team was relying on Falzon to be the primary substitute to Lumpkin and he has not because of his not being totally healed from a knee surgery. So we can rip on Lindsey but he has had to assume a larger role in the offense and he did so against DePaul but not against OU, UNL and PSU.

Games are primarily won or lost on defense.

"A team's defense is the foremost part of its overall game plan. Defense dictates tempo, it establishes the flow of a game. Defense triggers the offense. Victory is always within the reach of a strong defensive team. Good defense enables a team to overcome an occasional poor shooting night. A strong defensive team can come from behind to win. A team's personality is established through its defense. Defense, in a word, is dominant." -- Dr. Jack Ramsay

"We were sort of inept (in the second half) and their defense had something to do with it. That was the game." -- Bill Carmody

We really do not know what is going on. Players could have nagging injuries or other issues keeping them from top performance. And because of slow recovery and other injuries, they still have to play. It could even be a difference in the way the game is called. Plus it seems we constantly have guys in foul trouble affecting everything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT