ADVERTISEMENT

shout out to Fitz

d'son d

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2007
At the end of the Idaho Potato Bowl where Tulane is playing Nevada, there was a shout out to Fitz and the NU program, academic side, as to how the academics at NU is used to recruit players, something that the Tulane coach is following.

We had one of the top students and chess players at my high school...decide to go to Tulane...and I was all "cant believe Alex is going to a party school" . Then he got his degeree in molecular biology,,,then masters at UW and Doctorate from Boston University and is making more money in a week than I am in a year....and everytime I see him he says...I told you Tulane was a great academic school......then pause and say Wasnt a bad place to party either.

We had one of the top students and chess players at my high school...decide to go to Tulane...and I was all "cant believe Alex is going to a party school" . Then he got his degeree in molecular biology,,,then masters at UW and Doctorate from Boston University and is making more money in a week than I am in a year....and everytime I see him he says...I told you Tulane was a great academic school......then pause and say Wasnt a bad place to party either.
How does a molecular biologist make so much money? Is that person a CEO of a pharma?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
At the end of the Idaho Potato Bowl where Tulane is playing Nevada, there was a shout out to Fitz and the NU program, academic side, as to how the academics at NU is used to recruit players, something that the Tulane coach is following.
By the announcers? That’s a nice bit of branding if so.

I remember when Willie Fritz at Tulane became the coach, there was a story that he called NU Fitz to talk about recruiting at an academic school and building the program. The advice was not shying away from being an academic school, but to embrace it, selling the opportunity to attend an elite academic school that will prepare you for life. They have embraced and are seeing success in building the football program. It would have been interesting to see them play, Tulane is no pushover these days.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

"Willie Fritz" couldn't sound any more like an NU football plant if we tried.

I remember when Willie Fritz at Tulane became the coach, there was a story that he called NU Fitz to talk about recruiting at an academic school and building the program. The advice was not shying away from being an academic school, but to embrace it, selling the opportunity to attend an elite academic school that will prepare you for life. They have embraced and are seeing success in building the football program. It would have been interesting to see them play, Tulane is no pushover these days.

No they are not. They play good football.

How does a molecular biologist make so much money? Is that person a CEO of a pharma?

Right now, finding people with biotech chops (doctorates) who also have commercial acumen is hot. Venture capital partners who have bio PhDs or MDs are getting 7 figure base and bonus aside from carried interests and close to 2x what tech partners are getting. Hot healthcare start-ups are paying top dollar for top scientific and sector knowledgeable executive and commercial talent.

If there is one thing I regret, it's not having been a EE or a biotech undergrad guy. If you want your kid to have the best hand to play with in the future, I'd encourage him/her to do STEM. Especially since AI and Blockchain are probably going to disrupt (in some case obsolesce) professions in the legal and finance sectors significantly (i.e. if there weren't already reasons not to, I'm not sure anyone should aspire to be a lawyer or banker with what is coming).

Last edited:
Right now, finding people with biotech chops (doctorates) who also have commercial acumen is hot. Venture capital partners who have bio PhDs or MDs are getting 7 figure base and bonus aside from carried interests and close to 2x what tech partners are getting. Hot healthcare start-ups are paying top dollar for top scientific and sector knowledgeably executive and commercial talent.

If there is one thing I regret, it's not having been a EE or a biotech undergrad guy. If you want your kid to get have the best hand to play with in the future, I'd encourage him/her to do STEM. Especially since AI and Blockchain are probably going to disrupt (in some case obsolesce) professions in the legal and finance sectors significantly (i.e. if there weren't already reasons not to, I'm not sure anyone should aspire to be a lawyer or banker with what is coming).
Yup. STEM is what this country needs. Too many useless Humanities degrees out there!

Reactions: SLUCATS210
Right now, finding people with biotech chops (doctorates) who also have commercial acumen is hot. Venture capital partners who have bio PhDs or MDs are getting 7 figure base and bonus aside from carried interests and close to 2x what tech partners are getting. Hot healthcare start-ups are paying top dollar for top scientific and sector knowledgeably executive and commercial talent.

If there is one thing I regret, it's not having been a EE or a biotech undergrad guy. If you want your kid to get have the best hand to play with in the future, I'd encourage him/her to do STEM. Especially since AI and Blockchain are probably going to disrupt (in some case obsolesce) professions in the legal and finance sectors significantly (i.e. if there weren't already reasons not to, I'm not sure anyone should aspire to be a lawyer or banker with what is coming).

Interesting take E-Cat. My oldest son is near the top of the food chain in revolutionizing banking with his stable coin. He was the brains behind bypassing Maduro’s grip on the Venezuelan banks by getting stable coin funds to the front line resisters via the internet. Also just signed a deal with Visa to make his B to B block chain clearing services available to all of Visa’s 60 million business customers. He and others are taking direct aim at business as usual banking practices.

GOUNUII

Interesting take E-Cat. My oldest son is near the top of the food chain in revolutionizing banking with his stable coin. He was the brains behind bypassing Maduro’s grip on the Venezuelan banks by getting stable coin funds to the front line resisters via the internet. Also just signed a deal with Visa to make his B to B block chain clearing services available to all of Visa’s 60 million business customers. He and others are taking direct aim at business as usual banking practices.

GOUNUII

Congratulations to your son. Is he with Circle? And does your last name begin with an A or an N?

Probably something for the rant board, but I never understood until recently the hype around blockchain, why the Tim Drapers and a16z's of the world were pivoting hard into this area. Gartner projects that Blockchain will generate $3 Trillion in value by 2030. I personally think that may be understating things severely. Blockchain will likely have as much impact on how we do business as the internet, and probably more. Basically removes the need for intermediaries to establish trust for transactions. Meaning banks, legal services, will be severely disrupted. But, simply getting rid of the middle men and their fees is small beans. Imagine being able to clear international trade settlements in minutes instead of 3-10 days. What does that do for liquidity? The ability to liberate the capital that is tied up to finance other projects, and the value that creates. Imagine a world where you don't need to go through US banks and the SWIFT system, that has been weaponized by the Trump administration, and you can understand why 80% of countries today are aiming to build out their own Central Bank Digital Currencies. Once this hits, the impact will be profound, levelling the playing field between developing countries and developed countries, the latter which have a strangle hold on the global financial system. The hardest hit will be the US, because we have been fleecing developing countries (including China) who have been making goods at lower cost, and we are paying for it by printing more and more money without generating value to keep up with it. In other words, they are generating value which we consume without fair exchange, we are and have been living way beyond our means, and the day the free ride comes to end is coming sooner than we would like. Imagine what will happen when we lose the ability to print money because no one needs the dollar as a global reserve currency. If you thought globalization of trade and off-shoring of manufacturing hurt us and our standard of living (it didn't - actually quite the opposite as even our poorest can afford big screen TV's, cars, and i-phones because of off-shoring), it'll be nothing compared to when we can't justify our consumption with sustained value creation. America has a trade deficit in goods, but enjoys a trade surplus in services (especially financial services). What happens when that surplus goes away because those services are no longer needed? The answer for America isn't about bringing manufacturing back to the US (which isn't going to happen) or containing China or cutting off global trade. It's about improving our productivity, our competitiveness, by investing in technology (including blockchain - like China is:

instead of trying to restrict it as we are doing to Libra), infrastructure, education (including retraining of our workers for what's here/coming), and diverting the massive waste of resources in an oversized military that is many times bigger than what we need to destroy the world and defend our nation (especially if we decide to stop fighting wars in and occupy foreign lands) to these areas of greater need.

And don't get me started on AI. We are dumbasses and are going to get left behind in the dust if we don't wake up quick. It's like football. We're only going to be as good as how we prepare. Games are won in the weight room and in practice. If we keep feeling entitled on blaming China or globalization for our problems and malaise instead of getting better and improving ourselves, we're going to get beat on the field of play.

Last edited:
We're lined up to play there around five years from now, IIRC. Looking forward to the trip already.

I'm still looking for financing to open my political science shop on Michigan Avenue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT