ADVERTISEMENT

So, when I got to NU's practice this morning...

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
...I was a little early. The doors to Ryan Fieldhouse, where the Cats were practicing, were wide open, so I walked in just as the team was starting to scrimmage at the end of practice.

Usually, there's a group of media hanging around in the corner nearest the doors, but today there wasn't anyone there. I seemed to be the first one there. I didn't see any media relations people, either, so I couldn't "check in" with them.

So, I figured I'd just blend in and watch some of the scrimmage. No one will even notice I'm there, I thought. I'll blend right in with the dozens of other observers -- visiting prospects, boosters, training staff, etc.

I watched a few plays. I took my notepad and pen out of my pocket and scratched something out. At that very moment, guess who noticed I was there? Fitz. The guy must have eyes in the back of his head. He was watching the scrimmage from behind the offense, which was running plays in the opposite direction from where I was standing, yelling things out, coaching players, running around. And he still somehow saw me among a pretty big line of people.

"Louie, don't be taking notes and posting that s**t on the Internet!" he yelled at the top of his lungs. I held up my hands, like he was a cop and I was a high schooler getting busted with a beer. A group of people turned to look at me.

Of course, Fitz wasn't serious. It was just his way of saying hello. It wasn't like I was on my phone, tweeting something to the world. Really, I was just jotting down a question to ask him later. He knows that I know better than to report on practice, even if it is just spring practice.

A short time later, a media relations staffer came over to ask me to wait in the lobby. It turns out the practice was really closed and that media wasn't supposed to even watch. (Personally, I can understand that policy during the season, when the Cats are installing a game plan. But in the spring, it seems a little paranoid. But whatever, it is what it is.)

Anyway, I thought the whole episode was funny. Here I was thinking I was getting away with something, and the freaking head coach notices me. It's like sneaking into a Stones concert and having Mick Jagger point you from the stage.

In the end, I managed to see about 15 plays that I wasn't supposed to. I would love to tell you all about them -- but I'm sure Fitz would bust me for that, too.

...I was a little early. The doors to Ryan Fieldhouse, where the Cats were practicing, were wide open, so I walked in just as the team was starting to scrimmage at the end of practice.

Usually, there's a group of media hanging around in the corner nearest the doors, but today there wasn't anyone there. I seemed to be the first one there. I didn't see any media relations people, either, so I couldn't "check in" with them.

So, I figured I'd just blend in and watch some of the scrimmage. No one will even notice I'm there, I thought. I'll blend right in with the dozens of other observers -- visiting prospects, boosters, training staff, etc.

I watched a few plays. I took my notepad and pen out of my pocket and scratched something out. At that very moment, guess who noticed I was there? Fitz. The guy must have eyes in the back of his head. He was watching the scrimmage from behind the offense, which was running plays in the opposite direction from where I was standing, yelling things out, coaching players, running around. And he still somehow saw me among a pretty big line of people.

"Louie, don't be taking notes and posting that s**t on the Internet!" he yelled at the top of his lungs. I held up my hands, like he was a cop and I was a high schooler getting busted with a beer. A group of people turned to look at me.

Of course, Fitz wasn't serious. It was just his way of saying hello. It wasn't like I was on my phone, tweeting something to the world. Really, I was just jotting down a question to ask him later. He knows that I know better than to report on practice, even if it is just spring practice.

A short time later, a media relations staffer came over to ask me to wait in the lobby. It turns out the practice was really closed and that media wasn't supposed to even watch. (Personally, I can understand that policy during the season, when the Cats are installing a game plan. But in the spring, it seems a little paranoid. But whatever, it is what it is.)

Anyway, I thought the whole episode was funny. Here I was thinking I was getting away with something, and the freaking head coach notices me. It's like sneaking into a Stones concert and having Mick Jagger point you from the stage.

In the end, I managed to see about 15 plays that I wasn't supposed to. I would love to tell you all about them -- but I'm sure Fitz would bust me for that, too.

Your fatal mistake was taking the notebook out. You need to to dictate notes to your phone or something more discrete than taking a notebook out.

Your fatal mistake was taking the notebook out. You need to to dictate notes to your phone or something more discrete than taking a notebook out.

Phones not really supposed to be out at practice either. Guessing there are still plenty of staffers looking out for that kind of thing, except maybe for recruits taking a handful of shots.

Phones not really supposed to be out at practice either. Guessing there are still plenty of staffers looking out for that kind of thing, except maybe for recruits taking a handful of shots.

Do they scan you before you walk out to the practice facility?

probably didn't want Stanford to know what our first play from scrimmage. Delayed dive by Bowser might be a secret, I guess.

I'll blend right in with the dozens of other observers -- visiting prospects, boosters, training staff, etc.

Were there a lot of prospects there?
What about boosters? willycat?

Do they scan you before you walk out to the practice facility?

Full body cavity search. It’s the only reason I go to practices.

Were you there for the triple-reverse pass? It was really a cool play, especially with Slater ending up with the ball and throwing the pass - I hope we see it this year in a game.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE
Were you there for the triple-reverse pass? It was really a cool play, especially with Slater ending up with the ball and throwing the pass - I hope we see it this year in a game.
Slater ended up with the ball and threw a pass. Now that’s special

probably didn't want Stanford to know what our first play from scrimmage. Delayed dive by Bowser might be a secret, I guess.
It was so they would have no idea who the starting QB would be

The intrigue worked out pretty well last time we had Stanford in a season opener.

This is a long stretch of nothing. There has to be a way to service the fan base and continue to build enthusiasm and excitement without risking sharing intel with the other teams.

This is a long stretch of nothing. There has to be a way to service the fan base and continue to build enthusiasm and excitement without risking sharing intel with the other teams.

Winning football games should do the trick.

And Fitz is winning a whole lot of football games.

No worries. We are all family!

Reactions: purplejustice
Winning football games should do the trick.

And Fitz is winning a whole lot of football games.

I don’t want to pivot too much from the point I’m trying to make but your favorite school wins a lot of games and has for a while now - Stanford - and they struggle with fan support as well.

I just think there must be a way to determine who is logging on and whether that person is to be trusted with information like who is likely starting quarterback and real injury reports.

I don’t want to pivot too much from the point I’m trying to make but your favorite school wins a lot of games and has for a while now - Stanford - and they struggle with fan support as well.

I just think there must be a way to determine who is logging on and whether that person is to be trusted with information like who is likely starting quarterback and real injury reports.

People will come. Win games and people will come.

They’ll arrive in Evanston for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn up Central Street, not sure why they’re doing it. They’ll hand over the money without even thinking, for it is money they have and peace they lack.

Ohhhh people will come. People will most definitely come.

They’ll arrive in Evanston for reasons they can’t even fathom. They’ll turn up Central Street, not sure why they’re doing it. They’ll hand over the money without even thinking, for it is money they have and peace they lack.

Of course, and you are right. Who would rather drive to South Bend than to Evanston? Seriously? We've got the clear advantage. We just need to get a clear offensive line.

They'll arrive at Ryan Field as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Fitz. The one constant through all the years, Fitz has been football. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But football has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Fitz . It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Fitz. People will most definitely come.

Reactions: NUCat320
They'll arrive at Ryan Field as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the sidelines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Fitz. The one constant through all the years, Fitz has been football. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But football has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Fitz . It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Fitz. People will most definitely come.

And when they hear the first F-bombs, they'll leave.

Two guys walk into a bar in Dublin.

The first guy says to the barkeep, “Gimme a f@@@ing bear ya wankuh.”

The bartender gives him a pour.

The second guy says “Sir, May I please have a shot of whiskey?”

The bar man looks at him says “Get the f@@@ out. Only Irishmen allowed here.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT