ADVERTISEMENT

Soldier Field

Seat Geek works out just fine for me under 4 miles from the homestead.
For those travelling further Try to approach the stadium from the south, 55 to Harlem or First Ave/Archer/Robert's Rd. will have you pulling your hair out between viaducts,rail overpasses and traffic lights, and Saturday Funeral processions.
A Side trip to Chet's Melody Lounge to see if Ressurection Mary stops by might be worthwhile, pop for a Bloody Mary for her empty seat.

I don't get ir. Like Soldier is easier? Heck, unless you live like 10 mins from CTA, going to Wrigley also sucks.

I don't know where our STHs live but I'm guessing this is no worse than Soldier and All-State, and Wrigley is probably not realistic, considering the Cubs' misguided hopes of WS glory
I think for many people it's a state of mind. One of my STH friends is a five-minute walk from Wrigley, so that is super-convenient for us (but I realize not convenient at all for those coming from outside the city and need to stash a car).

As a northsider for the last 20 years, when I hear "south suburbs" I immediately groan. The Beatles could be playing with Michael Jackson as their opener, and if you tell me the show is at Tinley Park, I will pass.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Given the low capacity for Seat Geek I'm wondering if we just play the early OOC games there while MLB finishes up its season...with a 2:30 p.m. start, I think that would be palatable.

Yeah, it always struck me as a strange location. I assume Bridgeview is in a boatload of debt after throwing $$ at a project that was never going to generate that much revenue, but Wikipedia doesn’t include any information.

But, @NU Houston is right. Helluva location for Cats fans/Southwest Airlines flyers. You could probably do a gameday in-and-out from

My recollection is the Chicago Park District told the Fire they couldn't come back to Soldier Field after it was renovated in 2002. So the Fire were basically willing to go anywhere that would build them a stadium, which ended up being Bridgeview. I don't think it worked out well for either party. The Fire felt like an afterthought playing there, though it's not Bridgeview's fault they didn't field a competitive team most of the time. And I don't think the venue generated enough revenue or exposure for the project to have tangibly benefited Bridgeview.

I've long suspected Seatgeek (it'll always be Toyota Park to me) would be part of the plan as it has the best combination of field, media facilities, and availability in the area. I've been to ~10 games there and it's perfectly fine. The drive from Evanston won't be fun though. However, after the debacle at Wrigley I think I prefer the idea of playing at a smaller less desireable stadium.

My recollection is the Chicago Park District told the Fire they couldn't come back to Soldier Field after it was renovated in 2002. So the Fire were basically willing to go anywhere that would build them a stadium, which ended up being Bridgeview. I don't think it worked out well for either party. The Fire felt like an afterthought playing there, though it's not Bridgeview's fault they didn't field a competitive team most of the time. And I don't think the venue generated enough revenue or exposure for the project to have tangibly benefited Bridgeview.

I've long suspected Seatgeek (it'll always be Toyota Park to me) would be part of the plan as it has the best combination of field, media facilities, and availability in the area. I've been to ~10 games there and it's perfectly fine. The drive from Evanston won't be fun though. However, after the debacle at Wrigley I think I prefer the idea of playing at a smaller less desireable stadium.
It was more so the league (MLS) pushing for teams to build soccer specific facilities and control more of their revenue streams as a growth push. Fire played briefly at renovated soldier before moving to Toyota Park in 2006 (not to say that the Bears and CPD weren’t happy for the Fire to leave).

Does southwest fly out of Erie airport? If so, chances are good you can get a direct fly into Midway. From Midway you are looking at literally a 15 minute drive from the Rental car center.
Unfortunately Southwest does not fly out of Erie, but I would make the 1.5 hour drive to Cleveland and fly from there. Also would probably stay at a hotel somewhere near the airport and take a cab or an uber to the game. I'm sure there are decent hotels near SeatGeek stadium as well.

Unfortunately Southwest does not fly out of Erie, but I would make the 1.5 hour drive to Cleveland and fly from there. Also would probably stay at a hotel somewhere near the airport and take a cab or an uber to the game. I'm sure there are decent hotels near SeatGeek stadium as well.
Don't be so sure about finding a "decent" hotel in Bridgeview.

This discussion is like an old Johnny Carson routine. Don't recall the name of the character. All I can say about approaching Chicago from the southeast/east is good luck. It's a shit show. Coming from the north is no bargain either unless someone decides fixing roads in Chicago metroland is all completed. Good luck with that also.

PS And this is from someone who lives in the Washington, DC area.

There's a Hampton Inn on premise that you can walk to from Seat Geek. It's not a Four Seasons but I find Hampton Inns to be tolerable for a night.
It certainly won’t be much worse than the Orrington was a lot of the times over the past 10 years.

Hampton Inns are great if you find one that serves real meat, eggs and fruit in the morning. The accountants have been cutting costs.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It certainly won’t be much worse than the Orrington was a lot of the times over the past 10 years.
This season I've enjoyed my stays at the Orrington. It's been nicely refurbished and the staff has been very welcoming and helpful. One of my favorite guys at the front desk always prints my boarding pass for my return flight. Plus, I have easy access to a number of good restaurants, as well as my tailgate beer, and I can get a cab ride to the West Lot for 9 bucks plus tip. Last but not least, its a 5 minute walk to Bob's Pizza after the game, where I can chat with most of the players. Of course, all of this will be gone for the next 2 years, so I can only hope I can live until the 2026 season, at which time I'll be 83! ;)

This discussion is like an old Johnny Carson routine. Don't recall the name of the character. All I can say about approaching Chicago from the southeast/east is good luck. It's a shit show. Coming from the north is no bargain either unless someone decides fixing roads in Chicago metroland is all completed. Good luck with that also.

294 is still a construction mess, but the Southbound portion that is completed is like the Audubon.

This season I've enjoyed my stays at the Orrington. It's been nicely refurbished and the staff has been very welcoming and helpful. One of my favorite guys at the front desk always prints my boarding pass for my return flight. Plus, I have easy access to a number of good restaurants, as well as my tailgate beer, and I can get a cab ride to the West Lot for 9 bucks plus tip. Last but not least, its a 5 minute walk to Bob's Pizza after the game, where I can chat with most of the players. Of course, all of this will be gone for the next 2 years, so I can only hope I can live until the 2026 season, at which time I'll be 83! ;)
We definitely need you to be there for the opening of the new stadium. Stay healthy, my friend!

All of you interested in this little spelling diversion will be amused to hear that I flunked the driver's exam the first time because I couldn't spell my first name. It's Terence, but I had never used it. I was always registered in school as Terry. This left such a lasting scar that in my legal career I was always known as T. Warren Jones, and friends called me Terry.

It's going to be really interesting to see what costs are involved with tickets at the new Ryan Field. Will season ticket holders be required to purchase a seat license? How much do you expect prices to increase? What is your threshold for continuing as a STH? If you had to pay $2,500 for a seat license, are you in or out?

It's going to be really interesting to see what costs are involved with tickets at the new Ryan Field. Will season ticket holders be required to purchase a seat license? How much do you expect prices to increase? What is your threshold for continuing as a STH? If you had to pay $2,500 for a seat license, are you in or out?

Are they actually considering PSLs instead of mandatory donations? Because $2500 for a PSL would be a steal.

I find it really strange (though not surprising - cough, cough GRAGG) that we actually don't even know yet for ANY of the games next year.

That’s good to hear.
We didn’t stay there this year, so I’m happy they brought it back.
I actually love the hotel and the location, that’s where we usually stayed.
Let’s just say, it wasn’t running real smoothly there for a while.
Also, congrats on 80!!

Reactions: No Chores
Are they actually considering PSLs instead of mandatory donations? Because $2500 for a PSL would be a steal.
I would probably be out. I have been a STH for a while now (I think 15 years), but that is because the cost is not prohibitive. I currently have 2 seats, but I have twin two-year-olds, and will have to start getting 4 seats, probably when the new stadium is open.

My wife tells me we should just buy to games we want to go to. As of now, we go to more games than that would be. We normally we made it to 4-5 games a year, and would give away tickets to the other games. Although, the last couple of years have been sporadic attendance because of having two little ones and having to drive from out of state.

• Sad
Reactions: No Chores
That’s good to hear.
We didn’t stay there this year, so I’m happy they brought it back.
I actually love the hotel and the location, that’s where we usually stayed.
Let’s just say, it wasn’t running real smoothly there for a while.
Also, congrats on 80!!
It's not quite all the way back because the hotel's restaurant is still being refurbished and is not yet open. Nonetheless, I enjoyed both of my stays. Maybe in 2026 we can get together!

Reactions: Bwm57
Yeah, it always struck me as a strange location. I assume Bridgeview is in a boatload of debt after throwing $$ at a project that was never going to generate that much revenue, but Wikipedia doesn’t include any information.

But, @NU Houston is right. Helluva location for Cats fans/Southwest Airlines flyers. You could probably do a gameday in-and-out from BWI.
Fan base - there are substantial Polish and Mexicans population in the vicinity.

All of you interested in this little spelling diversion will be amused to hear that I flunked the driver's exam the first time because I couldn't spell my first name. It's Terence, but I had never used it. I was always registered in school as Terry. This left such a lasting scar that in my legal career I was always known as T. Warren Jones, and friends called me Terry.
And this was just a few months ago!

Art Fern!

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Hey NC, stop stealing my schtick here. Dumb not good enough for NU is my byline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT