ADVERTISEMENT

Something is sour about all this

MC_Cat

May 29, 2001
The team doesn't look to my eye like it's trying. I can only imagine what's going on internally but it can't be pretty.

The team doesn't look to my eye like it's trying. I can only imagine what's going on internally but it can't be pretty.
When things devolve this badly, it’s always a leadership/trust breakdown either on the team or with the coaches. In this case having no QB and no DC seems to combine 2005 with 2019. Maybe Hilinski will be OK but when you’re on QB3 and your top QB was so obviously terrible the players’ trust in the coaches must be shot. This team is playing like they know the coaches are lost.

Why have the linebackers never been subbed? Really wondering.

It's insane. Give the other guys a shot. There's got to be somebody on the roster who can run, and in any case Fitz needs to pull a Tucker and go shopping in the portal, after he finds a D coordinator.

Agreed. Could our other guys really embarrass us more? How can this be good for the culture?

Reactions: MC_Cat
I honestly don't believe this is a speed issue. I think our guys look slow because they are always out of position. They are just ALWAYS in the wrong spot. That is on the coach. I find it hard to believ our talent has diminished THIS MUCH in one year. Our D coach changed and he sucks and I am guessing the players wanted someone else (promotion from within). Just to have so many players in such bad positions all the time is exhausting.

I honestly don't believe this is a speed issue. I think our guys look slow because they are always out of position. They are just ALWAYS in the wrong spot. That is on the coach. I find it hard to believ our talent has diminished THIS MUCH in one year. Our D coach changed and he sucks and I am guessing the players wanted someone else (promotion from within). Just to have so many players in such bad positions all the time is exhausting.
You could be right. But some of these angles…oof. It’s high school.

Reactions: rmndcat
You could be right. But some of these angles…oof. It’s high school.
I agree the angles are bad, but hard to take a good angle when starting from a horrible spot. I can't count the number of times our players are just so badly positioned that they have no chance of making a play. Just awful.

Reactions: rmndcat
These blowout losses to BT teams is concerning. I can accept losses but these blowouts do reflect something is very wrong with leadership.

I watched the Stanford/Oregon game and was impressed how Stanford managed to pull off the win in OT. They had some help from the Ducks and the refs but their effort reminded me of NU teams of prior years- they would find a way to win. These BT blowout losses do not bode well for the rest of the season.

Do you realize that every one of them is faster than Paddy Fisher? It’s about instincts and being coached. Being put in positions to make plays.
Last time I saw Paddy Fisher in a conference game the RB was setting records.

What's personally frustrating to me is that while over a longitudinal period we hang just fine with the Wisconsins, Iowas, and Nebraskas of the conference...we really never blow them out. The blowouts hurt, and remind those programs that they can still really own us in any given year - and so long as this is a semi-regular occurrence every few years, winning division titles doesn't really change our brand enough. Our peak is below theirs and our basement is way, way lower. It's gross.

Not the offense. They played their asses off tonight. Andrew Clair? Robinson? Hilinski? Washington? And yes, the OL fought hard as hell while the 1s were in.... till they started dropping like flies (another serious problem). I am very guilty as a Nabob of frequently overgeneralizing, especially when I'm ticked off. So I get it, but don't drag the offense into these doubts about their effort.

Regarding what's going on internally.... I'm curious as hell too. Ever since January I have wondered why EBrown, Pace, RCB, Vogel, Ramsey and so many others chose not to come back. I have no idea what the deeper scoop is, and how connected it is to this team's drastic decline of... simple capability (I can't think of what else to call it).

But we're in trouble right now. And I really wonder if Fitz has a grip on whats wrong with this team.

Last edited:
Not the offense. They played their asses off tonight. Andrew Clair? Robinson? Hilinski? Washington? And yes, the OL fought hard as hell while the 1s were in.... till they started dropping like flies (another serious problem). I am very guilty as a Nabob of frequently overgeneralizing, especially when I'm ticked off. So I get it, but don't drag the offense into these doubts about their effort.

Regarding what's going on internally.... I'm curious as hell too. Ever since January I have wondered why EBrown, Pace, RCB, Vogel, Ramsey and so many others chose not to come back. I have no idea what the deeper scoop is, and how connected it is to this team's drastic decline of... simple capability (I can't think of what else to call it).

But we're in trouble right now. And I really wonder if Fitz has a grip on whats wrong with this team.

“What’s going on internally,” give me a break.

These are 22-year-olds who just went through a pandemic season in which they had to sacrifice so much. And then they went out and had one of the best years in NU history. Hardly a surprise they would almost all feel ready to move on to the next part of their life.

Reactions: NUCat320

Yes agreed not the offense. I was referring only to the defense after those first two essentially uncontested TDs to start the 2nd half.

Reactions: mountaindrew
How'd the game before that and the game after that turn out? And how many points resulted from those record yards? 22? That's what I thought.

This defense is, quite possibly the worst NW defense this century. Just awful.
Don't you mean "in a century?"

When things devolve this badly, it’s always a leadership/trust breakdown either on the team or with the coaches. In this case having no QB and no DC seems to combine 2005 with 2019. Maybe Hilinski will be OK but when you’re on QB3 and your top QB was so obviously terrible the players’ trust in the coaches must be shot. This team is playing like they know the coaches are lost.
You think it's time, actually past time for coaching changes? All of the way up to the top.

These blowout losses to BT teams is concerning. I can accept losses but these blowouts do reflect something is very wrong with leadership.

I watched the Stanford/Oregon game and was impressed how Stanford managed to pull off the win in OT. They had some help from the Ducks and the refs but their effort reminded me of NU teams of prior years- they would find a way to win. These BT blowout losses do not bode well for the rest of the season.
Maybe a past NU president had it right. Go East.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT