ADVERTISEMENT

Sparty @NU Prediction Thread

rmndcat

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2009
Defense is the strength for both teams coming into this game, so will predict:

Spartans 24
Fighting Methodists 31

The prop bet would be on #of overtimes....

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
After watching the UNLV RB tear off 144 yds in 16 attempts, the NU D needs improvement. OTOH, we got a glimpse of the NU O that could become a strength.

NU - 24
MSU - 21

Reactions: drewjin
No idea who is going to win this game, but if NU is going to finish with a record along this lines of ‘15,’17,’18, then this is a must win game. A loss may well precipitate a record along the lines of ‘14, ‘16.

Almost all good programs have off years. ( But, for context, an off year for Wisconsin or Stanford over the past decade is 8-5. An unthinkably horrible, wake the President, year for Wisconsin is 7-6 and these occur once a decade ). So, in spite of a difficult schedule, a new QB and a re-building OL, is this the year where NU establishes itself as a program which is a consistent winner, or does NU revert to the Wildcat two step ( two steps forward, one step back, and do si do ....)? We’ll see.

Reactions: IGNORE and drewjin
I don't see how we score more than 14 points against MSU unless the offense clicks far beyond what we've seen thus far. It's possible yes, but I don't think likely given their defense is superb. (I'd be as thrilled as anybody else here if it does happen).

Our defense can hold MSU to under 14. So this is a winnable game, but feels like it'd be 14-10 if we do pull it off. Need Bowser to be healthy and have a big day.

Reactions: rmndcat
Us 6
Them 17

This one is really, really tough to predict, though, particularly with the Jarvis injury. We could just as easily win, just like we could have beaten Stanford.

I don't see either offense scoring more than 2 TDS barring turnovers. Odds are that the cats lose the turnover battle, but not by much. .... MSU 16 NU 10. The true underdog will be the offenses.

Michigan State - 18 (this is a change than the initial post)
NU - 23 (damn the stats and seniors - NU wins)

Even though they lost last week MSU is trending up. Lots of offense, just need to punch it in. That's a relatively fixable problem.

They have a senior qb with a lot of starts and some better than average wide outs.

Do I think ASU is terrible and that they lost to a terrible team? No, maybe they aren't going to win the PAC but either is Stanford.

We are young on offense and lacking some real weapons that are going to put MSU in uncomfortable situations.

Unless a pretty new and evolved team shows up Saturday that we have yet to see...it should play out this way.

Last edited:
I don't see how we score more than 14 points against MSU unless the offense clicks far beyond what we've seen thus far. It's possible yes, but I don't think likely given their defense is superb. (I'd be as thrilled as anybody else here if it does happen).

Our defense can hold MSU to under 14. So this is a winnable game, but feels like it'd be 14-10 if we do pull it off. Need Bowser to be healthy and have a big day.

Defensive scores. Gaz and Brown each score.

Michigan State has health concerns the effect their OLine and their defensive ends. I think we play solid for the first full game.

Cats 24
MSU 13

Reactions: NUMBfan
I don't see either offense scoring more than 2 TDS barring turnovers. Odds are that the cats lose the turnover battle, but not by much. .... MSU 16 NU 10. The true underdog will be the offenses.
I agree except the Cats win the turnover battle.
NU 16 MSU 10

Is this by any chance based on a recent Moose Sighting? Surely your berry patch must be in season by now. :D

I’m actually in a remote area of Japan at this point in time where the primary wildlife consists of bears and monkeys.

Last night when I returned to the apartment there was a cadre of screaming monkeys to greet me. Can only hope that the primate parade will suffice for a moose sighting.

I’m actually in a remote area of Japan at this point in time where the primary wildlife consists of bears and monkeys.

Last night when I returned to the apartment there was a cadre of screaming monkeys to greet me. Can only hope that the primate parade will suffice for a moose sighting.

Are these by any chance Japan's famous Snow Monkeys (macaques) in Nagano? Surely the football gods are willing to forgive the omission of Reindeer Sausage this time if you'd be willing to substitute a Giant Bluefin Tuna instead. ;) Might be difficult to bring home as a carry-on, however. :D :D :D

It's good to know those bears and monkeys are getting good legal representation, in any event. :)

Reactions: IGNORE

Let us know if a moose shows up; then we'll know for sure the Cats will win!

I actually think this game will be decided by more than 10 points, but it could go either way. For the Cats to win, Johnson will have to challenge the MSU secondary with intermediate and deep throws. If he is successful, the Cats win by about 24-10. Unfortunately, I think it is more likely that he throws 4 interceptions or so, and so I say MSU 24, NU 7. I hope I am wrong, but it is an intriguing game to consider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT