ADVERTISEMENT

Sparty @NU Prediction Thread

I actually think this game will be decided by more than 10 points, but it could go either way. For the Cats to win, Johnson will have to challenge the MSU secondary with intermediate and deep throws. If he is successful, the Cats win by about 24-10. Unfortunately, I think it is more likely that he throws 4 interceptions or so, and so I say MSU 24, NU 7. I hope I am wrong, but it is an intriguing game to consider.

NU 23-14 is my pick. I do think HJ is the key but I don't agree that he needs to force the ball downfield to be successful. I actually think we'll lose if he does that. He needs to do what Clayton did to these guys. Be patient, take what they give you, accurately deliver the ball underneath and on the outs. Compliment Bowser/Anderson with Johnson's legs and then gash MSU when they tire later in the game. Their defensive depth is not what it has been and not as good as ours. Their team will tire if the offense is able to sustain long drives throughout the game.

I'll make a second prediction:

NU players guilty of rape: 0
MSU Players guilty of rape: greater than 0

NU 23-14 is my pick. I do think HJ is the key but I don't agree that he needs to force the ball downfield to be successful. I actually think we'll lose if he does that. He needs to do what Clayton did to these guys. Be patient, take what they give you, accurately deliver the ball underneath and on the outs. Compliment Bowser/Anderson with Johnson's legs and then gash MSU when they tire later in the game. Their defensive depth is not what it has been and not as good as ours. Their team will tire if the offense is able to sustain long drives throughout the game.

I hope you are right, but MSU’s front 7 is really good, and so far Hunter has not been quick enough in his reads to beat them on the shorter routes, I think. Their defense does give some downfield 1 on 1 matchups where his arm strength and quick release could be successful.

The only trouble with that is if HJ is the kind of QB where being patient wrecks his game. CT was that kind of QB, HJ might be more of an instinctual aggressor (there is a better name I just can't think of it). We don't really know yet, HJ may not really know yet. It would be great if he had a great game; even just a few great series. It's early in the season, I expect him to shine before the season is over but it's early and MSU is has a great front 7, our line will be better in a few games too.

If we don’t turn the ball over,Michigan State can’t score.
Our QB shows why he was once the top recruit in America.
Cats - 27
Spartans- 10

Reactions: NUMBfan
The only trouble with that is if HJ is the kind of QB where being patient wrecks his game. CT was that kind of QB, HJ might be more of an instinctual aggressor (there is a better name I just can't think of it). We don't really know yet, HJ may not really know yet. It would be great if he had a great game; even just a few great series. It's early in the season, I expect him to shine before the season is over but it's early and MSU is has a great front 7, our line will be better in a few games too.

Instinctual aggressor = rapacious?

Are these by any chance Japan's famous Snow Monkeys (macaques) in Nagano? Surely the football gods are willing to forgive the omission of Reindeer Sausage this time if you'd be willing to substitute a Giant Bluefin Tuna instead. ;) Might be difficult to bring home as a carry-on, however. :D :D :D

It's good to know those bears and monkeys are getting good legal representation, in any event. :)

I think you are correct that they are Snow Monkeys here as well, although Nagano is on the other side of the Japan Alps from where I am here in Yuzawa doing volunteer work at Mikuni InternationalCollege.

Somehow it was felt my legal background qualified me to teach the class in U.S. History while I am here. Thanks to the internet and cell phone connections I have also been able to keep up with my day job back home.

Actually I should correct that to “night job” as it is 3 or 4 AM in the morning here when I am emailing or calling those in the Alaska office. If I have the times lined up correctly I should be able to catch the Wildcats in action today on the WGN internet connection at 1 AM - although it will be a day ahead, Sunday morning here in Japan.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUMBfan and drewjin
Somehow it was felt my legal background qualified me to teach the class in U.S. History while I am here.
Wow! What a great experience! I taught American history. I’d spin some yarns and call it a day. It was lots of fun. Part of my family goes way back in the United States so I had plenty of stories about that.

My students used to ask me, “Was your family everywhere?”

“Yeah, we’re like Forest Gump.”

You should read Democracy’s Big Day by NUdog. Great stories in there, although it might arrive a little late for your class. Read it anyway.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Wow! What a great experience! I taught American history. I’d spin some yarns and call it a day. It was lots of fun. Part of my family goes way back in the United States so I had plenty of stories about that.

My students used to ask me, “Was your family everywhere?”

“Yeah, we’re like Forest Gump.”

You should read Democracy’s Big Day by NUdog. Great stories in there, although it might arrive a little late for your class. Read it anyway.

Thank’s for recommending NU Alum Jim Bendat’s book on the subject of US President inaugurations. I just listened a C-Span recording of a speech he gave to the Long Beach Rotary Club aboard the Queen Mary in which he shared excerpts.

The last lesson I taught was on the Civil War and we discussed how Lincoln’s second inauguration (which back then was held in March) was within weeks of the end of the Civil War as well as his assasination. Listening to Jim Bendat describing how Lincoln’s inaugural remarks in 1865 included the reference to, “With malice to none, and charity to all” was most poignant.

FWIW in my own presentation to the Japanese students I compared similarities and differences to Japan’s Civil War that followed ours just a few year’s later. For example we discussed how the one started out to reunite States that had left the Union and the other was to return Japan to a unified Imperial government. Interestingly foreign powers such as England and France had roles in both wars promoting their own economic interests.

Thank’s for recommending NU Alum Jim Bendat’s book on the subject of US President inaugurations. I just listened a C-Span recording of a speech he gave to the Long Beach Rotary Club aboard the Queen Mary in which he shared excerpts.

The last lesson I taught was on the Civil War and we discussed how Lincoln’s second inauguration (which back then was held in March) was within weeks of the end of the Civil War as well as his assasination. Listening to Jim Bendat describing how Lincoln’s inaugural remarks in 1865 included the reference to, “With malice to none, and charity to all” was most poignant.

FWIW in my own presentation to the Japanese students I compared similarities and differences to Japan’s Civil War that followed ours just a few year’s later. For example we discussed how the one started out to reunite States that had left the Union and the other was to return Japan to a unified Imperial government. Interestingly foreign powers such as England and France had roles in both wars promoting their own economic interests.
Wow! I’d love to sit in on that. Sounds fascinating.

Reactions: nugnrfan82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT