ADVERTISEMENT

STH survey

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the questions NU asked.

I was a bit puzzled by the question about the "benefits" (I think that was the word) NU offers STHers. Maybe I'm missing something. But outside the Wilson Club, we pay for tickets and we get better seats. That's the only advantage I saw. Maybe a couple invites each year ... yawn.

Lots of questions about the game-day atmosphere. My response was the best thing NU could do to improve the atmosphere was get 5000+ butts in the seats for EVERY game, even if they need to give away the tickets.

There was also a question about prices. You better not have answered that you were completely satisfied with prices.

Reactions: EagerFan and NJCat
Totally agree, I too was confused. Other than pricing advantage over single game prices I see no "benefit". I mentioned bringing back the local business discount card lol. I cleaned up at Smylie Brothers back in the day.

Reactions: NUCat320
Based on this and past surveys the Ticket Office clearly lacks any expertise in survey design. There are always questions with vague or ambiguous wording, that allow multiple selections when it should be a single response, or that allow contradictory responses. It used to bother me, but I've realized there is no evidence they actually use the results for anything so there's no point in worrying about it. Due to the defects in survey design the results are mostly meaningless anyway. This is a classic check the box 'See, we listen to our STHs' exercise.

Reactions: ricko654321
How about a concessions discount? Obviously applies to football as well. Cubs/Bears both offer one.

A) I don't expect much from any survey developed on Google.

B) I'm not totally with you, PS, but I'm close. Show me a generally futile market survey, and I'll show you the single question that they really cared about. In this case, I thought it was the question about ticket prices.

C) The other thing I mentioned was halftime entertainment. In general, I don't care, but throw us a bone 3 or 4 times year with a quality act like the Phillips regime always had. Kiddie basketball and student bands for every game is just cheap.

I'm sure Phillips blew too much money on halftime, and this is the result. But there's a middle ground somewhere.

The question path I suspect were drivers were the 'donate your tickets' theme and the 'upgrade your seats/ticket prices' theme.

Reactions: Sec.112
The only improvement I'm really interested in is better quality opponents for the pre-Big Ten schedule. The halftime entertainment is generally not watchable (aren't we there because of the basketball game?), although when they had the tumblers and Simon Says guy it was pretty good.

I think it's great to have kids play a game at halftime. Nice experience for them and maybe creates some new fans.

Based on this and past surveys the Ticket Office clearly lacks any expertise in survey design. There are always questions with vague or ambiguous wording, that allow multiple selections when it should be a single response, or that allow contradictory responses. It used to bother me, but I've realized there is no evidence they actually use the results for anything so there's no point in worrying about it. Due to the defects in survey design the results are mostly meaningless anyway. This is a classic check the box 'See, we listen to our STHs' exercise.
Reminds me about the Employee Engagement surveys at my work. There were always 2-3 themes that the employees bitched about. Muckity Mucks held a meeting 3 months later acknowledging the issues and then commandeered some committee to address the complaints. The committee had bagels at the breakfast meeting and nothing changed.

Totally agree, I too was confused. Other than pricing advantage over single game prices I see no "benefit". I mentioned bringing back the local business discount card lol. I cleaned up at Smylie Brothers back in the day.
When you throw in the required donation not even sure about that

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT