ADVERTISEMENT

Strief Book Recommendation

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Peter King, in his MMQB column, always has a book review. This week it is a book recommended by Zach Strief. #64's comments here:

Under Our Skin, by Benjamin Watson with Ken Peterson
Recommended by Saints tackle Zach Strief

Writes Strief, who was teammates with Watson in New Orleans from 2013-15:

“What would it take for me to pick up a book detailing race relations in America? Maybe only that book being written by a good friend. That question and answer infuriates me, but it is the truth. Being honest with yourself isn’t always easy, but as Benjamin Watson addresses in this book, it is the first step in our society getting past the epidemic of racism in America. ‘The solution to the problem of race in America will be found only by ordinary people, good people, looking inside themselves, being honest about the assumptions and biases that have formed and beginning to change what’s in their hearts,’ Watson writes. After finishing the book, this is the quote that was underlined and marked that I continue to come back to. Watson challenges us to look inside, to be honest and to start a dialogue with each other to understand the challenges facing us all.

“This book put me through many of the range of emotions that Watson expresses having while explaining his view on race in America: embarrassed, frustrated, fearful and confused, sad and sympathetic, offended, hopeless, hopeful, encouraged and empowered. The power of this book is that I, a white man, experienced all of those emotions while reading. EMBARRASSED, that I never would have read this if Benjamin wasn’t a friend. FRUSTRATED by my role in the problem. FEARFUL and CONFUSED that my niece, who is half black, may experience the prejudices that exists in America. SAD and SYMPATHETIC toward all who are affected on a daily basis. OFFENDED that with every tragedy comes people taking sides against one another. HOPELESS that it is a problem that at times feels like it’s getting worse. HOPEFUL that the message in this book can change the hearts of many as it has mine. ENCOURAGED that people like Benjamin Watson exist in our country with the power to heal our hearts, and EMPOWERED by the knowledge gained in this book to make a positive change to those around me. For me, this book was a life-changer.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/02/nfl-coach-firings-playoff-wild-card-schedule-peter-king

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT