ADVERTISEMENT

Terrific news for all the OL critics.

Interesting. It appears he was born in Evanston, played high school ball at Glenbrook South, and was an all-B1G center at Michigan. Some coaching experience in the NFL prior to the stint at Arkansas. Seems to make a lot of sense.

According to Wikipedia, Anderson has previous NFL coaching experience.

He was the assistant OL coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2015 when their offensive line that paved the way to 2,432 yards rushing, 152 yards rushing per game, 4.8 yards per attempt, and 19 rushing touchdowns; all marks were best in the NFL on the season.

Interesting side note: the Bills OL coach at that time - former NU OL coach, Aaron Kromer.

According to Wikipedia, Anderson has previous NFL coaching experience.

He was the assistant OL coach for the Buffalo Bills in 2015 when their offensive line that paved the way to 2,432 yards rushing, 152 yards rushing per game, 4.8 yards per attempt, and 19 rushing touchdowns; all marks were best in the NFL on the season.

Interesting side note: the Bills OL coach at that time - former NU OL coach, Aaron Kromer.

That's probably not a coincidence. Fitz hires people that he has first hand experience with or guys that are highly recommended by his network. I suspect the Kromer connection was vital. I also think this has the potential to be more that just a one year arrangement.

Say what you want about Bielema the Head Coach and person but he knows OL coaching and play. While this guy had a bit of a rough time at Arkansas, Bielema was very complimentary of the guy.

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas...ch-kurt-anderson-after-win-over-no-11-florida

Last edited:
That's probably not a coincidence. Fitz hires people that he has first hand experience with or guys that are highly recommended by his network. I suspect the Kromer connection was vital. I also think this has the potential to be more that just a one year arrangement.

Looks like Anderson coached under Jeff Genyk at Eastern Michigan back in 2008 as well.

Looks like Anderson coached under Jeff Genyk at Eastern Michigan back in 2008 as well.

The connections just keep coming for this guy!

His father, Donald Anderson, played college football at Northwestern University and in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints.

Gotta imagine Fitz knows his brother pretty well as they had similar careers in the B1G.

Kurt's older brother, Erick Anderson, is a fellow Michigan alumnus who won the Butkus Award in 1991 playing linebacker for the Wolverines and played in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Washington Redskins.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
Basically everything except actually coach on the field. Film review, game planning, etc.

He can't coach on the field during games, correct? I believe he can coach during practice. Can he sit in the coaches box and provide feedback during a game?

Another complimentary article about Anderson's three year stint with the Bills. Also worth noting that Arkansas OL Frank Ragnow was a highly thought of first round pick in the recently completed NFL draft.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/01/09/asst-ol-coach-anderson-leaves-for-arkansas/

He can't coach on the field during games, correct? I believe he can coach during practice. Can he sit in the coaches box and provide feedback during a game?

Another complimentary article about Anderson's three year stint with the Bills. Also worth noting that Arkansas OL Frank Ragnow was a highly thought of first round pick in the recently completed NFL draft.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/01/09/asst-ol-coach-anderson-leaves-for-arkansas/

Unless rules have changed, which seems to happen all the time, there’s no on-field coaching allowed period. Can be on the field to chart, observe, etc., but technically not supposed to interact with the players. There was also some talk of limiting the number of personnel on the sideline and in the box on game day, but not sure where that landed.

So why isn't he named the OL coach and give Cushing a desk job?
willy and others who continue bashing Cushing, this is becoming ridiculous and unfair. Apparently, Cushing was good at coaching Slater and Doles, but not others. Also, our OL played very well during our 8 game winning streak. (350 yards rushing in a bowl game certainly supports that notion.} I'm happy to have this new guy, but having a good offensive line is mostly a function of how well we recruit.

willy and others who continue bashing Cushing, this is becoming ridiculous and unfair. Apparently, Cushing was good at coaching Slater and Doles, but not others. Also, our OL played very well during our 8 game winning streak. (350 yards rushing in a bowl game certainly supports that notion.} I'm happy to have this new guy, but having a good offensive line is mostly a function of how well we recruit.

Maybe he’ll study and work hard, like Jerry Brown did, and become a good coach. After all, those same posters anointed him the worst DBack coach in history, right before the Cats fielded their lockdown secondary.

It’s amazing how good a coach can become in just a couple of years.

Maybe he’ll study and work hard, like Jerry Brown did, and become a good coach. After all, those same posters anointed him the worst DBack coach in history, right before the Cats fielded their lockdown secondary.

It’s amazing how good a coach can become in just a couple of years.

... and how good players can make a coach look better.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Agreed, and my point exactly. Once again we're on the same page!

No arguing with that 1-2 punch of knowledge and wisdom.

Anderson is a great addition and the announcement timing while Rouse is on campus couldn’t be better. I don’t know how good Rouse is. His film is sketchy at best. But he is a physical specimen unlike any OLM we have recruited since Daryl Ashmore. He is also the most sought after OL official visitor since Matt O’Dwyer and Trai Essex. The addition of Anderson sends a strong message to Rouse and others that we are serious about putting OLM in the League again.

GOUNUII

Reactions: freewillie07
One brother is Lars Anderson, who played HS Football at Glenbrook South & College at Indiana. Another brother, is Erick Anderson who olayed football at Michigan. He too played football at Michigan. His father played football at NU

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
-Courtesy of various sources

Anderson is married with five children, wife Jennifer, sons Hawken and Torin, daughter Dagny and twins Odin and Raina. His grandfather, Bob Nowaskey, played for the Chicago Bears of the NFL and the Baltimore Colts and Los Angeles Dons of the All-America Football Conference (AAFC).[14] His father, Donald Anderson, played college football at Northwestern University and in the NFL with the New Orleans Saints.[15] Kurt's older brother, Erick Anderson, is a fellow Michigan alumnus who won the Butkus Award in 1991 playing linebacker for the Wolverines and played in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Washington Redskins. Another older brother, Lars, played football at Indiana University Bloomington.

Who cares? All I know is that this guy is coming to work with our OL in some capacity. Not to mention he was born in Evanston, starred at Glenbrook South and played his college ball in Ann Arbor (won’t hold that against him). I’m stoked.

That's a big dude. Maybe he's going to BE the offensive line.

No arguing with that 1-2 punch of knowledge and wisdom.

Anderson is a great addition and the announcement timing while Rouse is on campus couldn’t be better. I don’t know how good Rouse is. His film is sketchy at best. But he is a physical specimen unlike any OLM we have recruited since Daryl Ashmore. He is also the most sought after OL official visitor since Matt O’Dwyer and Trai Essex. The addition of Anderson sends a strong message to Rouse and others that we are serious about putting OLM in the League again.

GOUNUII

“Sketchy?” No. He’s a big, athletic dude. That’s what an OT recruit is supposed to look like.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
“Sketchy?” No. He’s a big, athletic dude. That’s what an OT recruit is supposed to look like.

So from the available HUDL film you can tell how athletic he is? Details please. What have you seen and what does it tell you about the athleticism needed to justify his top notch offers? I don’t doubt it. I just don’t see it on film. A stark contrast to how obvious it was in the Foster and Gelotte film, even though neither have Rouse’s elite offers.

GOUNUII

Youtube interview from last year, just to get a feel for his style.

Last edited:
So from the available HUDL film you can tell how athletic he is? Details please. What have you seen and what does it tell you about the athleticism needed to justify his top notch offers? I don’t doubt it. I just don’t see it on film. A stark contrast to how obvious it was in the Foster and Gelotte film, even though neither have Rouse’s elite offers.

GOUNUII

Yes. I'm not sure what else there is to add. He's a very large, athletic kid on tape who looks like he has the frame to get much larger. Competition isn't great and he's pretty raw, but has all the tools to become an excellent tackle.

Would also note that he didn't really start getting "bigtime" offers until the period right before and during the spring evaluation period. This means coaches from Indiana, Stanford, Michigan State, North Carolina, Purdue, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Penn State, Ohio State, and, yes, Northwestern all saw him in person this spring and decided to offer. This tells me that he has probably developed physically since his junior year and coaches are confident that he will continue filling out as an elite OT prospect.

I mean... look at the size of this kid, from a visit to Yale no less. For a frame of reference, the coach on his right/our left in the first photo is none other than Yale's OL coach and our very own Al Netter (who measured 6040 312 at NU's pro day):

He's a kid who is interested enough in academics that he has visited 4-5 Ivies, but blew up on the recruiting trail this spring. I think we have a legitimate chance to land him with places like Stanford, Duke, Virginia, and Wake Forest making a similar pitch.

Interestingly, the kid actually reached out to Cushing on twitter on 4/17 and had his offer by 5/7.

Reactions: NU Houston
I am glad to see Kurt Anderson joining our ranks- good background and when you’re building a foundation, it’s sometimes better to have an extra technician.

I also like Rouse- he LOOKS like an athletic tackle. Plus all the intangibles make him sound like a TRUE wildcat

Great to have a GBS Titan in the coaching family. The Andersons are legends at Pfingston and Lake.

I can't elevate Lars to legendary status ;-) Eric, yes, still the best football player in school history. Both really nice as well. I did not know Curt since he came along after we had all left the building.

Reactions: NUCat320
You’re such a freakin’ Debbie downer...someone needs to give you a hug. It must really suck to never be satisfied. Sheesh.
Your right, I don't see everything through purple glasses. Your a knowledgeable football guy, so tell me if you would rather have a OL coach who played at Michigan, coached at Arkansas and the NFL or one who didn't play Div. I football and coached at Univ. of Chicago. Be honest, now.

Reactions: NJCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT