ADVERTISEMENT

The game is bad but the fox crew might be the worst of all time

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
If fox doesn’t improve their broadcast talent we are in for a long miserable fox big ten contract.

no one on ESPN has ever been this bad.
I would venture to say these two are incompetent.

I also think in the first quarter one of the teams coordinators could be heard on the broadcast

Truly the worst. The line that got me was: “Northwestern is no stranger to Drama. Meghan Markle, Cindy Crawford, David Schwimmer…”

First of all one of this is a model and the other is a comedian. Second of all, how about maybe a Cardiac ‘Cats mention?

awful.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
If fox doesn’t improve their broadcast talent we are in for a long miserable fox big ten contract.

no one on ESPN has ever been this bad.
I would venture to say these two are incompetent.

I also think in the first quarter one of the teams coordinators could be heard on the broadcast
Devin Gardner was absolutely atrocious. You could also hear him struggling with something related to the telestrator on NU’s first drive as well. Not sure why FOX left his mic on during that sequence.

Eric Collins is a pro, but has leaned into the histrionics to the point where it’s hurting the broadcast. Not as clean a PxP guy like he was during his stint at ESPN.

Styre, what was your take on this?

Truly the worst. The line that got me was: “Northwestern is no stranger to Drama. Meghan Markle, Cindy Crawford, David Schwimmer…”

First of all one of this is a model and the other is a comedian. Second of all, how about maybe a Cardiac ‘Cats mention?

awful.
Totally agree. When they spewed out the “no stranger to drama” comment I also thought this had to have been one of the worst crews ever to work an NU game.

I did chuckle at Collins name-dropping Gissendaner and Bates.

Gardner apparently doesn't realize PI will be called 9 times out of 10 when the DB does not turn around.

He’s trying to be the next Gus Johnson. It’s not working.

I guess a lot of you aren't familiar with Eric Collins. He's been calling games forever (including on BTN), maybe he hasn't done many of our football games but he's done a lot of our basketball games over the years. He's been the lead pxp for the Charlotte Hornets for a while now, there's YouTube compilations of his overdramatic reactions in NBA games.

Devin Gardner was absolutely atrocious. You could also hear him struggling with something related to the telestrator on NU’s first drive as well. Not sure why FOX left his mic on during that sequence.

Eric Collins is a pro, but has leaned into the histrionics to the point where it’s hurting the broadcast. Not as clean a PxP guy like he was during his stint at ESPN.

Styre, what was your take on this?

I was at the game, so I've only heard highlights. Can't comment on Gardner. But Eric Collins has been doing college football for 20 years and he's always been over the top. I've never liked him. He's a decent enough game caller on a technical level but between the yelling and the awful puns I find him unlistenable.

Reactions: cedricmelons
Eric collins may have broadcast the worst I’ve ever heard anyone. And there are lots of bad pbp out there these days with the proliferation of games.

I think many newbies doing their first game would have done a better job. He didn’t watch the play at times. Didn’t know who was on the field others.

fox should bench him or fire him for being so incompetent.

devin the color guy was clueless. He suggest a play call before the play and was not even close to being correct.

Fans deserve better. The big ten deserves better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT