ADVERTISEMENT

The Implosion Continues

rwesley264

Jul 2, 2006

For sure a lot of coaches will be fired. And eventually the AD. And the president.

Supposedly the NCAA did a study that fund 70% of D-1 athletes had been hazed. With a number that hight, that has to include a lot of women.

The question is now: How far will this go? Will athletes at other schools come forward? Will they sue universities?

If the world is as outraged as it claims to be and this generation of college students are the brave, change the world activists they think they are, this should spread like wildfire and change college sports forever.

Yet....I think it won't. This was just a lynching of Pat Fitzgerald. Nothing more.

Will they look at the Board of Trustees behavior in all of this, including their handling of the Polisky affair? If not, then it's all window dressing.

The outrage burns white hot here at Northwestern because Fitz's brand was integrity. If people found out the exact same things to the letter were happening in Jimbo Fisher's locker room, most people would not blink. Whether that's fair or not...meh. I admit, I'm one of those people who took pride in Northwestern's choice to maybe settle for fewer wins in exchange for decency (or so I thought).

The funny question to me, which I hope reporters are literally asking Michael Schill: why do you consider the report you already commissioned to be unfit for public release? You're effectively going to do another investigation so a more sanitized version can be available for public consumption?

Public relations to quell the mob and which might also help the university in the court of public opinion..But anything new uncovered in these subsequent investigations cannot be used in the wrongful term case by the university because the reasonableness of the termination is assessed based on the facts known at the time of the termination. No one thinks that case will ever go to trial and an NDA will hide the settlement amount.

Supposedly the NCAA did a study that fund 70% of D-1 athletes had been hazed. With a number that hight, that has to include a lot of women.

The question is now: How far will this go? Will athletes at other schools come forward? Will they sue universities?

If the world is as outraged as it claims to be and this generation of college students are the brave, change the world activists they think they are, this should spread like wildfire and change college sports forever.

Yet....I think it won't. This was just a lynching of Pat Fitzgerald. Nothing more.
That’s why I was shocked at the quick firing. If in fact the extent of Fitz’s offense was that he should have known and prevented it, and he otherwise had an unimpeachable (obviously not) 17 year record of integrity and results of his players as students and members of the community. It’s quite a shocking precedent because of the NCAA stats are correct, then hundreds more coaches should be fired if we apply similar standards.

Public relations to quell the mob and which might also help the university in the court of public opinion..But anything new uncovered in these subsequent investigations cannot be used in the wrongful term case by the university because the reasonableness of the termination is assessed based on the facts known at the time of the termination. No one thinks that case will ever go to trial and an NDA will hide the settlement amount.
Actually, employers can "terminate" a plaintiff again if new facts uncover additional bases for discharge. The legal strategy behind it is to cut off back pay damages. So a scenario may unfold where Fitz wins his original wrongful termination case, NU's after acquired evidence shows deeper misconduct warranting discharge, Fitz recovers back pay up to the date of the second findings and "second" termination and no more. This would shape settlement talks.

Reactions: FeralFelidae

For sure a lot of coaches will be fired. And eventually the AD. And the president.

You wanna see what hazing looks like? Check out the Harvard women’s hockey team story. 1000x worse than what supposedly occurred at NU.

Reactions: ashley0623
Actually, employers can "terminate" a plaintiff again if new facts uncover additional bases for discharge. The legal strategy behind it is to cut off back pay damages. So a scenario may unfold where Fitz wins his original wrongful termination case, NU's after acquired evidence shows deeper misconduct warranting discharge, Fitz recovers back pay up to the date of the second findings and "second" termination and no more. This would shape settlement talks.
The optics of that are pretty bad and it might force an actual trial, I don't think Fitz is the type to just fold his tent and give up the millions which are at stake.

The optics of that are pretty bad and it might force an actual trial, I don't think Fitz is the type to just fold his tent and give up the millions which are at stake.
He’ll run it into the line but ultimately punt and rely on his D to keep his financial position intact.

• Haha
Reactions: TerraCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT