ADVERTISEMENT

The reality is Fitz should not be King of Northwestern football

SadCatFan22

Sep 17, 2022
It has gotten to a point where this program badly needs new blood, but we don’t have any booster or AD support to put pressure on Fitz.

Wake up people! 3 out 4 years winning <3 games. Northwestern is on the same level as Rutgers was with Ash, Purdue was with Hazel, and Minnesota was with Brewster.

Signing Fitz to that contract marked the end of Northwestern football. Fitz can lose the next twenty games (he may) and he still won’t be on the hot seat. That isn’t a recipe for success.

Dr Gragg needs to step up and insist on DC change
The problem is, again, that I don't believe the defense is the primary reason we lost today's game.

Should JON be replaced? Sure, but making him the scapegoat for today won't address the reasons that we actually lost today.

Reactions: drewjin
I posted this on the Illinois site. I’ve had NU season tickets since 1994:
I’ve been an NU season ticket holder for over 25 years (since Fitz, I root against them). He reminds me of Zook when it comes to game management; Zook would still be our Coach if someone had disconnected his headset. Fitz is an awful game manager. Late in the 1st half in a tie game, SIU had a 4th and 2 in field goal range and Fitz has all three TO’s. Fitz let’s the clock run from the 1:15 mark and let’s SIU run down the clock before SIU took its own TO. I sit right behind the NU bench, 14 rows up and I literally yelled, how could you not take a TO in his direction. The NU alums who sit around think he’s a great cheerleader and decent recruiter but they find it laughable that the National media think he’s a coaching wizard.

Agree, but JON and Jake don't
You know, Fitz has 8 and I have suggested the AD fire asst coaches and take the reigns of the replacements to which gcg said that would alienate PF and he would probably leave. Well there you go, make him feckless. Start firing coaches, OC, DC, Springer, maybe MacG - and don't let PF do the hires. When he doesn't quit and gets obstinate, make the OC or DC hire an associate head coach and start stripping PF of powers as long as he acts out.

The only thing larger than PFs remaining contract is his head. At some point, PF says fvck off to NU and hopefully goes and coaches the Irish or Green Bay.

I’ve been an NU season ticket holder for over 25 years (since Fitz, I root against them). He reminds me of Zook when it comes to game management; Zook would still be our Coach if someone had disconnected his headset. Fitz is an awful game manager. Late in the 1st half in a tie game, SIU had a 4th and 2 in field goal range and Fitz has all three TO’s. Fitz let’s the clock run from the 1:15 mark and let’s SIU run down the clock before SIU took its own TO. I sit right behind the NU bench, 14 rows up and I literally yelled, how could you not take a TO in his direction. The NU alums who sit around think he’s a great cheerleader and decent recruiter but they find it laughable that the National media think he’s a coaching wizard.
Uh oh, you just poked the bears. Cue our famous self appointed board police to come and put you in your place for voicing very valid, but negative, points. For shame!

I was at the game, watching that sequence closely.
(Fourth and almost 2 on the NU 27, tie game at 14)
SIU surprised most people by keeping the offense on the field instead of trying the 44 yard field goal.
Both coaches let the clock run down from about 1:10 to 35 seconds, then SIU used its last timeout.
SIU came back out, ready to go for the first down.
I was surprised SIU was still going for it, especially after they let all that time run off the clock.
Northwestern called timeout.
SIU picked up the first down, ran a few plays and had a field goal blocked.

Not sure how you think Fitz messed that up. Calling a time out would not have made sense.

I don’t think Fitz is going anywhere but with a new stadium being built they can’t afford to drive away too many fans or it will be embarrassingly empty (at least of NU fans) if the product continues to stink. A lot of $$ at risk so I think there will at least be pressure put on “the king” to make staff changes

Reactions: Ryanfield124
I don’t think Fitz is going anywhere but with a new stadium being built they can’t afford to drive away too many fans or it will be embarrassingly empty (at least of NU fans) if the product continues to stink. A lot of $$ at risk so I think there will at least be pressure put on “the king” to make staff changes
I would be shocked if JON coaches a game as DC in the new stadium. If he lasts another 2-3 years as DC, it will be bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT