ADVERTISEMENT

The trouble with the offense

TheC

May 29, 2001
I think part of what we have been seeing lately with our offensive woes is that teams are figuring out how to play us on defense and we are really struggling to adjust.

At any given time, we have four guys on the court that have a really hard time putting the ball on the floor and driving around their man to get to the basket. Linsdey, for as great as he has been this year, is not a very solid ball handler. He tends to dribble way too high and either fumbles it or gets it stolen when he tries to make too complicated a move. Law is a little better, but he lacks the change of direction while dribbling. Lumpkin, Taphorn, Skelley and the two bigs are obviously lacking here. That leaves us Mac and Brown, the two shortest guys on the team.

What we have done well until recently is move the ball by passing and shooting the open jump shots (including three pointers). However, all of that relied on having space. Other teams have now figured out that NU won't beat you with the dribble, so what do you do? You get up in their grill, both when they have the ball and when they don't. You give our guys no room to shoot... no room to cut and no room to receive a pass. They have nothing to lose by going all out to overplay passing lanes and ball handlers. To deal with Mac, you pressure the heck out of him to make his job harder and leave your center around the free throw line waiting for him on the drive. The fact that Pardon can't hit a shot outside of 5 feet makes this work beautifully. It also helps the defense that we send Pardon out on so many high picks. If I'm the other team and Dererk Pardon wants to go out beyond 15 feet for any reason, I let him.

Now, not every team can do this as well, but Illinois is one example where they have four really long, athletic players and then one decent big. That is a horrible matchup for us. I don't know what the adjustment is exactly, but I think the Pardon high screen should go away. Instead, run that with Taphorn or even Law as they can bounce off of it and hit the open three pointer. Keep Pardon (and his defender) down on the block. Having Lindsey out made this so much worse, but with him back, I would run some of the backdoors or double screens to make the defense have to switch and communicate. That is much harder. I'm sure the coaches see what is happening, but just thought I'd offer my thoughts.

Reactions: Sec.112
I think you're on the right track, C. OTOH, near the end of yesterday's first half, NU handled Illinois' overplay pretty well several times.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's pretty obvious this group has limits. Everything really needs to click.

I think you're on the right track, C. OTOH, near the end of yesterday's first half, NU handled Illinois' overplay pretty well several times.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's pretty obvious this group has limits. Everything really needs to click.
We ran a couple of successful backdoor cuts, but then either we stopped or else I didn't notice anymore because they weren't open. I think fatigue may have been a factor. Last night was just a perfect storm of suck - a good defensive strategy from an energized, athletic Illinois team combined with a tired, slightly frustrated NU squad.

I think part of what we have been seeing lately with our offensive woes is that teams are figuring out how to play us on defense and we are really struggling to adjust.

At any given time, we have four guys on the court that have a really hard time putting the ball on the floor and driving around their man to get to the basket. Linsdey, for as great as he has been this year, is not a very solid ball handler. He tends to dribble way too high and either fumbles it or gets it stolen when he tries to make too complicated a move. Law is a little better, but he lacks the change of direction while dribbling. Lumpkin, Taphorn, Skelley and the two bigs are obviously lacking here. That leaves us Mac and Brown, the two shortest guys on the team.

What we have done well until recently is move the ball by passing and shooting the open jump shots (including three pointers). However, all of that relied on having space. Other teams have now figured out that NU won't beat you with the dribble, so what do you do? You get up in their grill, both when they have the ball and when they don't. You give our guys no room to shoot... no room to cut and no room to receive a pass. They have nothing to lose by going all out to overplay passing lanes and ball handlers. To deal with Mac, you pressure the heck out of him to make his job harder and leave your center around the free throw line waiting for him on the drive. The fact that Pardon can't hit a shot outside of 5 feet makes this work beautifully. It also helps the defense that we send Pardon out on so many high picks. If I'm the other team and Dererk Pardon wants to go out beyond 15 feet for any reason, I let him.

Now, not every team can do this as well, but Illinois is one example where they have four really long, athletic players and then one decent big. That is a horrible matchup for us. I don't know what the adjustment is exactly, but I think the Pardon high screen should go away. Instead, run that with Taphorn or even Law as they can bounce off of it and hit the open three pointer. Keep Pardon (and his defender) down on the block. Having Lindsey out made this so much worse, but with him back, I would run some of the backdoors or double screens to make the defense have to switch and communicate. That is much harder. I'm sure the coaches see what is happening, but just thought I'd offer my thoughts.
My view is based on TV so Im not really sure, but from the second half of the rutgers game, they changed up on Pardon and its really limited our offense. Kudos to the Rutgers coach. Im sure we will adjust and be fine. Thats my opinion on whats happening. That and disguising double teams on BM.

The problem with the offense is
1) Aaron Falzon is not playing which means that our three point shooting is lower. Skelly has improved and hit two key shots against Rutgers, but went 0 for 5 v. Minny and 1 for 6 from threes in the Illinois game at home and when both games were tied late in the second half, the ball found Skelly wide open and he clanked open three point shots;
2) Lumpkin is a strong defender, but it is tough to win in the Big 10 when you post donuts or 0 points especially when everyone in the starting lineup on your opposing team can hit open jumpers (e.g. 2 Illinois games and Rutgers game he had zero points based on my recollection);
3) Benson has the ability to hit open jumpers. From watching him in practice and during the game, he has good form and can hit an open jumper. However, Collins feels compelled to yank him after 1-2 minutes of play in the first half and not play him in the second half. Yes, I know he has problems guarding the pick and roll, but he will only learn by playing and we could use the offense and his size down low where Maverick Morgan and the entire Rutgers team grabbed offensive rebound after offensive rebound in key moments of the game;
4) Not sure why Taphorn, Benson and Skelly were nowhere to be found in the second half last night. Skelly played well in the first half on offense. We needed some punch off the bench and UofI can play 5 on 4 on offense when Lumpkin is out there for 22 minutes and 0 points;
5) Would like to see a couple of minutes of Benson at the 5 and Pardon at the 4 when the other teams use two bigs (IU plays Bryant and Davis, UM can play Wagner and maybe Donnell (have not seen much of UM this season) and Purdue definitely plays two very bigs in Swanigan and Haas at the same time);
6) Obviously, Law can not be committing fouls early and then gets stuck on the bench for expended periods of time and then it is tough for him to get in the flow of the offense. He must realize that we need him on the floor for 35 mpg;
7) Lindsey needs to get his legs back and soon. He better be in the gym a lot over the next four days. 1 for 11 from the 7th leading scorer in the Big 10 is not going to cut it v. offensively talented squads in IU, UM and PU;
8) WE HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON OUR TURNOVERS; and
9) If teams overplay the perimeter we need to CUT TO THE HOOP and score easy buckets. Skelly did that in the first half and missed a layup which is a killer when every basket counts on the road.

Just a couple of quick observations.

I like McIntosh's willingness to shoulder the load, but others need to step up and quick which I think they will.

Reactions: NUCats

I was actually thinking this same thing today as I walked around and stewed over last night. How many good basketball teams do you know that can't play inside-outside with a legit post scorer or drive-and-kick with a couple slashers? We don't have any post presence, and Mac is the only guy who can create a shot for himself or someone else. That's why we're getting into this 1-on-5 offense with Brown, because he's the only other driver. And he's just too small and out-of-control to trust. Law is more of a D-and-3 guy with athleticism around the rim for dunks and rebounds. Tap is a straight-up outside shooter. Lindsey at least brought a mid-range game before he got sick and lost his endurance and rhythm. With Pardon and Lumpkin on the floor at the same time we have 40 percent of the offense limited to nothing but garbage points around the rim (of course they both bring good skills on the defensive end) and with Lumpkin the possibility of an occasional wide-open three because no one bothers to defend him.

Basically, this is a jump-shooting team that rebounds and defends far better than when NU was a jump-shooting team under Carmody. We're just going to have to live with this limitation this year and maybe even next, because I don't know if Rap or Falzon or Gaines can't address this deficiency. But since neither Tap nor Lumpkin can post up or drive, they can't make us worse.

Benson has the capability of being a post scorer, but we have not used him enough in games to have shown that ability or develop that skill. He is big enough and wide enough to do that. Pardon has definitely shown the capability of posting up but was used more to set picks at the top of the key. Having both of them play at the same time would be interesting, but probably it is not going to happen this season. Falzon was showing some flashes of driving at the end of the season when teams were crowding him at the three point line and he just started to pump fake and get around the tight defense on the perimeter. Lindsey has shown flashes of being able to create and hit the pull up jumper. Gaines appears to be a bigger SG at 6'4" who might be able to dribble and drive, but it is too early to predict that. Law needs to be more comfortable with the ball and tries to dribble drive, but has not been too successful in doing that. NU appears to be aware of that and that probably was a big reason they went after Canyon Berry who is doing very well on a 23-5 Florida squad. Also, there is the possibility of a graduate transfer next season that might have some post skills as the 12th or 13th player on the roster.

Benson has the capability of being a post scorer, but we have not used him enough in games to have shown that ability or develop that skill. He is big enough and wide enough to do that. Pardon has definitely shown the capability of posting up but was used more to set picks at the top of the key. Having both of them play at the same time would be interesting, but probably it is not going to happen this season. Falzon was showing some flashes of driving at the end of the season when teams were crowding him at the three point line and he just started to pump fake and get around the tight defense on the perimeter. Lindsey has shown flashes of being able to create and hit the pull up jumper. Gaines appears to be a bigger SG at 6'4" who might be able to dribble and drive, but it is too early to predict that. Law needs to be more comfortable with the ball and tries to dribble drive, but has not been too successful in doing that. NU appears to be aware of that and that probably was a big reason they went after Canyon Berry who is doing very well on a 23-5 Florida squad. Also, there is the possibility of a graduate transfer next season that might have some post skills as the 12th or 13th player on the roster.
Could have surely used Berry or someone like him this season. That hoarded 13th schlorship is coming back to haunt NU as the season winds down.

Oh, wait. You changed your mind here - guess you do like the idea of a 5th year transfer. Big guy. Ok...

Oh, wait. You changed your mind here - guess you do like the idea of a 5th year transfer. Big guy. Ok...

Yeah, that becomes a reasonable possibility on February 22nd. It isn't at the end of September.

These are technically all Gladesbombs (TM)

If I'm not mistaken, they are illegal and violators are subject to permanent ban.

Am I the one who decided to trudge up posts from a year-plus ago because... ?

Nope, you just attack a variety of posters that you despise with your long dispelled know it all attitude.

Unfortunate people cannot own their older attacks. Maybe 2017 should be the gcg monitored posts.

I love the new archives. I can see why you wouldn't.

These are technically all Gladesbombs (TM)

If I'm not mistaken, they are illegal and violators are subject to permanent ban.

What? Bringing back old quotes? It's ok to attack, but not to have those attacks examined later. For shame. Bullying at is finest. Defend the bully. For shame

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT