ADVERTISEMENT

The Turk Countdown has started 48 hours left

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Turk Farewell Tour has concluded by friends. It's been a great 25 years but my interest in Cat football has simply faded to the point where the board has become uninteresting to me. Nothing against the program or anything, I simply have become disinterested in Northwestern football. Doesn't mean I don't love NU BB or won't watch NU football games because I will, but it will be in passing.

I appreciate those who still have the spirit and can continue the flame. This board has been great and has provided me with some of my best friends in my entire life. Glades, Midvale, FloridAlum, Waterboy, and several more. And I appreciate those who put up with the Turk BS that always tried to push the needle and could care less about credibility to provoke an argument. You guys have thick skin. Long live the Cats. Farewell. The jersey was retired last week and now the handle will be retired on the football board.

Turk182

"...tell him we've been rooting for him the whole time."

Add me to your minority NJ. This board will be a lot less interesting when the likes of Turk leave. Many of the more interesting posters have either left or post very infrequently due to the bullying tossed their way by the "loudest" types. Just noticed that I'm nearing 10,000 posts and might then join the exodus.

Still waiting for that list of 5 interesting posters who have the board recently. I'll continue to wait, take your time.

Still waiting for that list of 5 interesting posters who have the board recently. I'll continue to wait, take your time.
I'm not for one to call attention to other posters but I could easily give you alist more than six who no longer post and an additioal six or more who infrequently do so. I just to bad.

I have the scoop on why Turk left the board and is not supporting NU Football, from a trusted insider in the program.

I'm not for one to call attention to other posters but I could easily give you alist more than six who no longer post and an additioal six or more who infrequently do so. I just to bad.

I will take that as "I can't name 5 posters" If they're gone, you're not embarrasing them. Name away.

I can't think of one solid poster who has defected of late; some post more on the rock because the football board was becoming more like the basketball during the Collins v. Carmody wars, but they still post. The only regs who have left are DocCatsFan (and I suspect few miss him-- he was not much of a favorite around here, and one of the worst posts on the football board in recent memory was probably the beginning of the end for him). Stupor/Shivas (multiaccounted while taunting the mods to do something about it, likely was banned and was one of the most despised posters on here even prior to the multiaccounting at any rate), and Turk (though he indicated in the statement that he may just be giving up the Turk persona, as opposed to leaving, and I hope he does that, as he would likely be a far better poster as an ordinary citizen).

That's all I have. What you got?

Last edited:
I need lots of work.

Anyways, you know Turk is sitting on his computer furiously beating himself stupid that we're still talking about him.

I will take that as "I can't name 5 posters" If they're gone, you're not embarrasing them. Name away.

I can't think of one solid poster who has defected of late; some post more on the rock because the football board was becoming more like the basketball during the Collins v. Carmody wars, but they still post. The only regs who have left are DocCatsFan (and I suspect few miss him-- he was not much of a favorite around here, and one of the worst posts on the football board in recent memory was probably the beginning of the end for him). Stupor/Shivas (multiaccounted while taunting the mods to do something about it, likely was banned and was one of the most despised posters on here even prior to the multiaccounting at any rate), and Turk (though he indicated in the statement that he may just be giving up the Turk persona, as opposed to leaving, and I hope he does that, as he would likely be a far better poster as an ordinary citizen).

That's all I have. What you got?
Shakes. But he almost immediately came back.

mikero and catfan5 haven't been posting much this year. They were loudly in the non-Pollyanna club, but I would say were solid posters.
Just to reassure Mike, those were two I was thinking of and add Midvale who we don't hear from anymore. Smitte, Just Gary, Waterboy and Ubercat post very infrequently. There are many more but I think Turk's leaving will snowball and others will follow.

Just to reassure Mike, those were two I was thinking of and add Midvale who we don't hear from anymore. Smitte, Just Gary, Waterboy and Ubercat post very infrequently. There are many more but I think Turk's leaving will snowball and others will follow.

None of these people were 'driven away' by vicious Pollyannas and Shills. Stupid discussions, maybe, but not by predatory Polyannas.

We're doomed!

Boring boards are boring. Personally, if I cannot participate in discussions with more than one perspective then what's the point. Seems like I draw mike and Gary for personal affronts or banter about having an opinion, glades for entertainment and little else. Don't know about their forum, but the comments insideNU have been really engaging.

In the meantime, Antonin Scalia has passed. Great to hear that he spent his final days at Cibolo Creek ranch in Big Bend country. Beautiful, hard country. A land of sublime contrast--desert, river, mountain, and sky. A serious place that permits no pretense or frivolity of mind. A great place to find finality. RIP.

We're doomed!

FWIW, there is always a drop in posting when the regular football season and bowl season has ended. If past history is any indication, at least three of the above on willycat's list can be expected to rejoin the discussions here when there is actually something to talk about with regard to "playing the game." "Smitte" and Midvale were definitely missed during the season, but thankfully they have checked back in to post on occasion. If I recall correctly, it was in fact Smithee who once instructed on this board, "Less is more."

Reactions: ubercat
None of these people were 'driven away' by vicious Pollyannas and Shills. Stupid discussions, maybe, but not by predatory Polyannas.
The notion that someone can be driven away by other posters here is completely bunk to me. Turk wants us all to believe that he is the victim and has been persecuted for his minority opinions about NU football. He is just far too thin-skinned to realize that most people disagree for legitimate reasons and, more importantly, people are sick and tired of incessant beating of an unpleasant sounding drum.

If you are going to flog unpopular ideas to death on a sports board, be prepared for a LOT of pushback. Turk is a victim only of his own hard-headedness and refusal to accept that his ideas are just not widely accepted, and won't be for the foreseeable future. His utter intolerance of thoughts and opinions unlike his own, labeling these posters using unflattering terms, and reckless self-promotion and incessant attempts to call attention to his tired-out themes turned a lot of the board against him. A lot of us just got tired of the act. I don't blame posters for telling him to STFU.

I think it is a great idea if people post under one name only.
Do you mean like FloridAlum as opposed to Florida Alum?

In Turk's case, it probably doesn't make any difference since his posts are a giveaway. I think, though, he should come back as the mild-mannered, Curt.

Do you mean like FloridAlum as opposed to Florida Alum?

In Turk's case, it probably doesn't make any difference since his posts are a giveaway. I think, though, he should come back as the mild-mannered, Curt.
The poster in question is not Turk.

I have never posted as Florida Alum. When I first discovered this board in 1998 I read for a few days before I built up the nerve to post something . I didn't have much to say anyway. So I tried to post and was told I had to pick a board name. Seems like almost everyone had the word cat in their name , like CincyCat or EvanstonCat, so I had to do something different. I typed in Florida Alum, said it a couple of times, thought it sounded dumb with the "a-a" in the middle, so I dropped an a and condensed it, one word, four syllables, dropped the small a, kept the capital a, seemed like the thing to do, never changed it.

Here come the Pollyanas...
predator-1987-slice.jpg

Turk prepares himself...
source-sbullnet.blogspot.jpg

Reactions: IGNORE2
The poster in question is not Turk.

I have never posted as Florida Alum. When I first discovered this board in 1998 I read for a few days before I built up the nerve to post something . I didn't have much to say anyway. So I tried to post and was told I had to pick a board name. Seems like almost everyone had the word cat in their name , like CincyCat or EvanstonCat, so I had to do something different. I typed in Florida Alum, said it a couple of times, thought it sounded dumb with the "a-a" in the middle, so I dropped an a and condensed it, one word, four syllables, dropped the small a, kept the capital a, seemed like the thing to do, never changed it.
Thanks, I know it's not Turk. It's Hungary Jack in another of his guises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT