ADVERTISEMENT

This Isn't Good!

We all make mistakes! I learned more from the bad stuff I did versus the good stuff I did! Why? When things were good,I didn't change! When things went bad, I changed my habits

Ugh. Sorry to see this. Hope this is a lesson he learns and rebounds from ( and hope there are no other names that emerge as the story is fully told....)

Ugh. Sorry to see this. Hope this is a lesson he learns and rebounds from ( and hope there are no other names that emerge as the story is fully told....)
I'd like to think this is a lesson learned and not a career ender for him. It's never OK to do this, but I saw coke on campus way more than I ever thought I would. No athletes that I know of ever touched it, but the theater majors in particular used it frequently as a recreational drug. Let's hope he learns a valuable lesson and can move on from this.

Last edited:
So does NU have a one strike policy? Is his career over with us? We haven't seen this before. What happens next?

So does NU have a one strike policy? Is his career over with us? We haven't seen this before. What happens next?
My guess is that if facts are true then he is finished. However since he didn't redshirt, guess he could be suspended for 2017 and come back in 2018.

Hate to see this, not for the team... they'll recover, but for Xavier. Such a waste of an incredible opportunity. It's tough that student athletes seem to have to live up to higher standards than a regular student, but they have to know this is the case. There's just no margin for error, so why take the risk? It's a shame and I feel bad for him.

He made a mistake. Hopefully he learns from it. There have been others who have gone astray. I imagine he will be suspended possibly for the season but doubt he will be kicked out.

Hate to see this, not for the team... they'll recover, but for Xavier. Such a waste of an incredible opportunity. It's tough that student athletes seem to have to live up to higher standards than a regular student, but they have to know this is the case. There's just no margin for error, so why take the risk? It's a shame and I feel bad for him.
To me, the issue isn't football so much as him losing his chance at an NU degree.

Reactions: scru
Prefacing my remarks with the fact that no one guilty until proven so, I was naturally distressed to read about XWash, not just because we will likely lose the services of a great player but because of the problems this will create for him, whether he is guilty of an offense or not.

However, I want to juxtapose this news with the recent announcement regarding the academic progress of NU's student athletes. To me, this outweighs the news about XWash's arrest. We love our football and other teams, but deep down NU is all about going to class and getting degrees.

image_handler.aspx

http://nusports.com/news/2017/4/24/general-32-perfect-gpas-highlight-performance-summary.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: phatcat
We are who we are. And generally we like it that way. Our athletes are held to a high standard. An acquittal will likely be required to return him to the team. While it sounds like guilty until proven innocent, it is the standards of our program. As sad as this is for a young man, I personally like our high standards.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Prefacing my remarks with the fact that no one guilty until proven so, I was naturally distressed to read about XWash, not just because we will likely lose the services of a great player but because of the problems this will create for him, whether he is guilty of an offense or not.

However, I want to juxtapose this news with the recent announcement regarding the academic progress of NU's student athletes. To me, this outweighs the news about XWash's arrest. We love our football and other teams, but deep down NU is all about going to class and getting degrees.

image_handler.aspx

http://nusports.com/news/2017/4/24/general-32-perfect-gpas-highlight-performance-summary.aspx

I root for NU because of the high standards and character that NU's students typically display. Not every player on our teams is a pillar of society. My hope is we just have less players/students doing dumb things. However, as a non-alum, my investment both in time and financially also requires a competitive squad. There is a balance here. I would selfishly take 2 more wins a year over increasing our team GPA from 3.2 to 3.4! I realize there is life after college and this opinion flies in the face of some, but I want wins to go along with the character.

image_handler.aspx

Sorry but that is a bad comparison. It's a felony that he is charged with not a slip in in his GPA.

I am not sure this is a case of our "high standards" .... he's charged with a felony. He's suspended pending the court case. Those are just standards.
I am from SEC country. With that frame of reference, those are high standards.

I'd like to think this is a lesson learned and not a career ender for him. It's never OK to do this, but I saw coke on campus way more than I ever thought I would. No athletes that I know of ever touched it, but the theater majors in particular used it frequently as a recreational drug. Let's hope he learns a valuable lesson and can move on from this.

Yes, Coke was all over North campus. Very popular with certain fraternities. And the Koreans. I knew some Korean guys who were always coked up.

What is 0.5g anyways? Isn't that just personal use? Is that a felony?

Yes, Coke was all over North campus. Very popular with certain fraternities. And the Koreans. I knew some Korean guys who were always coked up.

What is 0.5g anyways? Isn't that just personal use? Is that a felony?
It's not like pot. Possession of any amount of cocaine in Illinois a felony offense. The minimal amount has sentence guidelines of a $25,000 fine or 1-3 years.

Assuming that this is XWash's first offense of any drug-related kind, and that he has been a good citizen, he can get probation and a fine. I'd be surprised if they run him off to jail, assuming this is the first evidence of any sort of drug behavior.

We are who we are. And generally we like it that way. Our athletes are held to a high standard. An acquittal will likely be required to return him to the team. While it sounds like guilty until proven innocent, it is the standards of our program. As sad as this is for a young man, I personally like our high standards.

I don't know. If this is downgraded to a misdemeanour, then I think the appropriate action is to punish him as someone who was convicted of a misdemeanour would be punished.

I just hope X learns from this and not let it be his down fall. Football at this point is secondary. Though from a fan's standpoint, this sucks big time.

It's not like pot. Possession of any amount of cocaine in Illinois a felony offense. The minimal amount has sentence guidelines of a $25,000 fine or 1-3 years.

Assuming that this is XWash's first offense of any drug-related kind, and that he has been a good citizen, he can get probation and a fine. I'd be surprised if they run him off to jail, assuming this is the first evidence of any sort of drug behavior.

The fact that this is considered a felony just speaks to the inequities in our criminal justice system. Why is possession of cocaine automatically a felony while DUI, which is more likely to cause harm to others, is considered a misdemeanor under most cicumstances?

Last edited:

Every state is different, but I would guess probation. Judges are not naive, they will correctly surmise that, while perhaps his first offense, was not his first use of the drug.

Separately, I think a lot of drug laws are stupid, but that doesn't excuse him

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT