ADVERTISEMENT

thorsin and Oliver aren't good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think he means arent prductive enuf. Yes it takes 85 but the qb position is a clear and present weakness that gets expoited weekly by opposing defenses. In most games, our strengths can carry the qb position but when we play really good teams, the qb position is simply too heavy of a burden for our defense and KOR unit to carry.

I think our WR's and OL are a MUCH heavier "burden" than our QB. So much so that Tom Brady would struggle at QB for us.

I will bet on Thorson getting a lot better. Great to be 8-2 while this guy is getting this year under his belt. I'm very happy that there are the bowl practices this year and the extra game for all of the obvious reasons but especially to get the passing game better.

Reactions: Sheffielder
i think he means arent prductive enuf. Yes it takes 85 but the qb position is a clear and present weakness that gets expoited weekly by opposing defenses. In most games, our strengths can carry the qb position but when we play really good teams, the qb position is simply too heavy of a burden for our defense and KOR unit to carry.

It doesn't help that we are ineffective running the ball against strong rushing defenses. I've seen Alabama 2-3 times this year, and their QB is nothing special at all, but having five monsters on the o-line plus a 240-pound running back to pound people with tends to cover the deficiency at QB.

By your 8-2 argument, the WR corp and the OL are also good enough. The entire team is 8-2.
That does NOT mean that every player is performing at the level that the team needs to achieve its goals. A team may win IN SPITE of the performance by certain player or unit, not because of it.
CT is currently ranked #90 in the FBS per total QBR. The team needs much better than that (8-2 or not).
Just curious, what is CT's current ranking amongst red shirt freshmen with bad O lines and wide receivers who can't catch?

Reactions: StreamCat
Thorson's passing is one reason the Cats are 8-2 and not 10-0. If we had decent QB play (better WR and OLs would help too) we could be better than 8-2.
Did I miss I miss the sarcasm alert? We lost by 30+ points in our two loses. I am not sure we would have won with Tom Brady at the helm. You might have missed the games Clayton won for us with long runs. Wait, you would have had to miss a lot of this season then and that can't be the case.

If memory serves me correctly, Green is a "preferred walk-on" which means he will be on scholarship next season. So he isn't your typical walk-on. I seriously doubt Smith will be in the equation as a true freshman. The competition will come down to Thorson, Alviti and Green. I'd be shocked if Clayton doesn't prevail.

Not what it means. Just means he will be in camp and got the program's support in admissions.

Thorson's passing is one reason the Cats are 8-2 and not 10-0. If we had decent QB play (better WR and OLs would help too) we could be better than 8-2.

Thorson could have been the second coming of Joe Namath and we would not have won those two games in question, imo.

#1.

And first in the heart of his Countrymen as well.

Siemian struggled last year (in a different way that Thorson), but still struggled and he is in the NFL. Logical conclusion is that this is more on the OL and WRs (this year and last year).

Thorson could have been the second coming of Joe Namath and we would not have won those two games in question, imo.

Maybe that's true for the Michigan game but the Iowa game was still very much a game until the cluster**** fumble by Thorson/Jackson started the cascade of crap in the second half.

You are right. I looked it up and it means he is one of the 105 players who can be on a roster in the fall.

You must be Virgil Starkwell, i.e., the last to know.

take-the-money-0.jpg

Siemian struggled last year (in a different way that Thorson), but still struggled and he is in the NFL. Logical conclusion is that this is more on the OL and WRs (this year and last year).

So I guess you are agreeing with me and DCF??

Maybe that's true for the Michigan game but the Iowa game was still very much a game until the cluster**** fumble by Thorson/Jackson started the cascade of crap in the second half.

If you watch the replay, our defense didn't play very well at all, even before that fumble.

So I guess you are agreeing with me and DCF??

Yes, and I just agreed with DCF in a different post. And I don't believe it is the first time. You'll find that most of my disagreement related to when people violate board rules or otherwise troll (e.g., Feli, and the Carmody-Collins flame wars).

Iowa game -- I felt that game the defense quit playing as the offense got so brutal. Not a good thing and hasn't happened too often this year, much their credit. I'm a Thorson supporter but there is no getting around he has been bad in quite a few games this year (Iowa one of the worst). I'm a big supporter of the investment in Thorson, however.

Just curious, what is CT's current ranking amongst red shirt freshmen with bad O lines and wide receivers who can't catch?
Don't know about "bad O lines and wide receivers who can't catch". Apparently the OL is good enough for JJ to have had an almost 200 yds game with a near 7 ypc average against a decent B1G team. In fact, NU is #39 nationally in rushing. I know that pass and run blocking involve different techniques, but a really bad OL won't do either one right.
The NU receivers have issues, but they still have caught 139 passes, so they do catch the FB now and then.
Anyhow, some (true?) FR QB's are doing quite well. For example,
UCLA's Rosen, Boise's Rypien, BYU's Mangum, SYR's Dungey and Marshall's Litton are ranked 36-51 by pass efficiency. Texas and Washington also have FR QB's that are at least near the median. Mid Tenn Stockstill is #25, but not sure if he should count.
Unfortunately, by the same stat CT is #109 out of 115 who qualify.
Go ahead and blame the receivers, if you wish.

Last edited:
Don't know about "bad O lines and wide receivers who can't catch". Apparently the OL is good enough for JJ to have had an almost 200 yds game with a near 7 ypc average against a decent B1G team. In fact, NU is #39 nationally in rushing. I know that pass and run blocking involve different techniques, but a really bad OL won't do either one right.
The NU receivers have issues, but they still have caught 139 passes, so they do catch the FB now and then.
UCLA's Rosen, Boise's Rypien, BYU's Mangum, SYR's Dungey and Marshall's Litton are ranked 36-51 by pass efficiency. Texas and Washington also have FR QB's that are at least near the median. Mid Tenn Stockstill is #25, but not sure if he should count.

Actually the receivers excuse probably needs to go away. I don't recall a dropped pass the last 2 games

Actually the receivers excuse probably needs to go away. I don't recall a dropped pass the last 2 games

You have a short memory to forget SB Dickerson's drop against PSU. That would have set us up well inside the red zone.

Reactions: DocCatsFan
I think our WR's and OL are a MUCH heavier "burden" than our QB. So much so that Tom Brady would struggle at QB for us.
our ol gave him plenty of time yet he left the pocket and rolled right exclusively. if you cant see that thorson needs serious work and much more experiene then it will beimpossible for you to understand why he was benched in favor of oliver.

a more advanced redshirt freshman was the qb from purdue but thorsons potential is much higher. but he clearly isnt a passing threat as is. we could speculate how good brady would be or if we had jake long at tackle or randy moss as wr butsuch talk is silly.

the question remains, if Thorson is so productive throwing the ball then why would he be benched in favor of a qb like oliver? i trust that fitz is smarterthan all of the "my life for thorsn" shills.

our ol gave him plenty of time yet he left the pocket and rolled right exclusively. if you cant see that thorson needs serious work and much more experiene then it will beimpossible for you to understand why he was benched in favor of oliver.

a more advanced redshirt freshman was the qb from purdue but thorsons potential is much higher. but he clearly isnt a passing threat as is. we could speculate how good brady would be or if we had jake long at tackle or randy moss as wr butsuch talk is silly.

How would Brady have done against Michigan with our "plenty of time" OL? The entire offense NEEDS WORK, but I'm damn thankful Thorson was our QB against Stanford and Nebraska.

Funny how last year when there was a shit load of drops. It was all Trevor's fault. Now since we have the second coming of Marino it's all the receivers fault. Unreal

the question remains, if Thorson is so productive throwing the ball then why would he be benched in favor of a qb like oliver? i trust that fitz is smarterthan all of the "my life for thorsn" shills.
Exactly Turk. Other than the 1st drive the offense was putrid. Oliver came in and it seemed to spark offensive and I think it lit a fire under thorsons ass

Curious as to why you think our oline is bad when we average about 200 yards rushing per game with absolutely no threat of a pass game? Do you realize how hard it is to rush the ball effectively when the opposing team is geared to stop the run because they have absolutely no respect for our receivers? The clear weakness of this offense is the WR position. The oline has done just fine under the circumstances.

Funny how last year when there was a shit load of drops. It was all Trevor's fault. Now since we have the second coming of Marino it's all the receivers fault. Unreal
It's amazing how you've posted 33 times and 32 were negative things to say about someone on the team. I just read all 33 off your posts. The one that wasn't negative was "they were warned earlier in the game" which I'm guessing refers to the Nebraska sideline interference call. Which could still be negative but was useful information so I'll give it a pass.

So yeah, got it you're a troll

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

Funny how Cookie can't see poor separation and the drops that have occurred this year while implying Thorson is the next Mark Malone.

[Relax Steelers fans!!! Thorson is NOT the next Mark Malone.]

Curious as to why you think our oline is bad when we average about 200 yards rushing per game with absolutely no threat of a pass game? Do you realize how hard it is to rush the ball effectively when the opposing team is geared to stop the run because they have absolutely no respect for our receivers? The clear weakness of this offense is the WR position. The oline has done just fine under the circumstances.

The OL has done better this year, but our success running the ball has as much to do with our success blocking and sealing the edges with our SB's and WR's as it has our OL blocking.

Exactly Turk. Other than the 1st drive the offense was putrid. Oliver came in and it seemed to spark offensive and I think it lit a fire under thorsons ass
+1
Fitz lit thorsons ass after last week as well. Thorson lacks intensity and focus. he get lost for big chunks of the game and there is a reason why he only has a few td passes. His primary problem is that he quits on plays cuz he cant see them develop. he is a redshirt kafka all over again. im not convinced mccall can develop qbs quickly so its gonna be a couple years prior to thorson becoming comfortable.
Many redshirt...or even true freshman are much mor advanced this early. Nothing aga st Thorson but i think its unfair for people to call him a good qb when he isnt at this point. our offense sucks because we get nothing thru the air. there is a reason why thorson was benched so lets not pin this on the OL or wr. everyone else on the offense looked good and there were multiple receivers open all day long against this poor purdue defense but thorson looked downfield for all of one second prior to doing his customary exit stageright. he is a big qb so he needs to stay in the pocket and not panic or freak out.

Thorson lacks intensity and focus.
Absurd statement of the day. You know how much Thorson focuses? You know his intensity? Turk, you could really contribute something to the board, but you say crap like this. I know, we lost to Michigan because
Jake Ruddock just wanted "it" more than Thorson.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
+1
Fitz lit thorsons ass after last week as well. Thorson lacks intensity and focus. he get lost for big chunks of the game and there is a reason why he only has a few td passes. His primary problem is that he quits on plays cuz he cant see them develop. he is a redshirt kafka all over again. im not convinced mccall can develop qbs quickly so its gonna be a couple years prior to thorson becoming comfortable.
Many redshirt...or even true freshman are much mor advanced this early. Nothing aga st Thorson but i think its unfair for people to call him a good qb when he isnt at this point. our offense sucks because we get nothing thru the air. there is a reason why thorson was benched so lets not pin this on the OL or wr. everyone else on the offense looked good and there were multiple receivers open all day long against this poor purdue defense but thorson looked downfield for all of one second prior to doing his customary exit stageright. he is a big qb so he needs to stay in the pocket and not panic or freak out.

We get to see how well McCall develops Thorson in the next few years. Considering how well he developed Kafka, Persa, Siemian, and Colter, I think he'll do a good job. Thorson's performance against Nebraska in Lincoln is something to build upon.

By the way, Grammarly only found 24 errors in your post. That's something to build upon, too.

I posted in another thread (although nobody answered) that I believe our O Line does much better with zone blocking schemes than they do man to man which is required for pass protection. Also, we have a fantastic running back who is able to get through the skinniest of holes. I'm willing to amend my statement to an O Line that pass protects extremely poorly and WRs who truly struggle to get open and make plays.

The OL has done better this year, but our success running the ball has as much to do with our success blocking and sealing the edges with our SB's and WR's as it has our OL blocking.
This is kind of the answer I was looking for in another thread I started but got no responses. This makes sense. Thanks.

We get to see how well McCall develops Thorson in the next few years. Considering how well he developed Kafka, Persa, Siemian, and Colter, I think he'll do a good job. Thorson's performance against Nebraska in Lincoln is something to build upon.

By the way, Grammarly only found 24 errors in your post. That's something to build upon, too.
i think the only one that we could possibly say was developed and had a fairly productive senior seaon was kafka. TS never developed under McCall. he was basically the same or worse as a senor. I think his best year was as a sophmore when we won a bowl. same with colter. h never developed to the point of having any sort of senior year. neither did persa but that could have been due to injuries. toss in alviti, oliver, and watkins and i dont see any evidence of development.

I think Thorson will have a chance to excell as an upper classman. Until then he will have to rely on his athleticism.

please dont make it like Thorson is good right now. I find your remarks very unsupportive and your opinion that Thorson is a good qb will have to overcome the reality of why he was benched in favor of oliver (please dont make up any excuse that he was injured), and your opinion would necessarily have to expain that the purdue defensive coordinator was not as smart as you for stacking everything against the run and forcing Thorson to beat them.

i think the only one that we could possibly say was developed and had a fairly productive senior seaon was kafka. TS never developed under McCall. he was basically the same or worse as a senor. I think his best year was as a sophmore when we won a bowl. same with colter. h never developed to the point of having any sort of senior year. neither did persa but that could have been due to injuries. toss in alviti, oliver, and watkins and i dont see any evidence of development.

I think Thorson will have a chance to excell as an upper classman. Until then he will have to rely on his athleticism.

please dont make it like Thorson is good right now. I find your remarks very unsupportive and your opinion that Thorson is a good qb will have to overcome the reality of why he was benched in favor of oliver (please dont make up any excuse that he was injured), and your opinion would necessarily have to expain that the purdue defensive coordinator was not as smart as you for stacking everything against the run and forcing Thorson to beat them.

Oh please! Siemian was injured most of his junior and senior years. You forgot Persa, a QB who we watched make great progress up until he was injured in 2010. Thorson has had great games and horrible games. What do you expect with a RSFreshman QB who has never run an offense like NU's before? Two steps forward, one step back. Sheesh, Basanez had a major setback his entire sophomore year. The media Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year turned out OK. Have faith! We're 8-2, despite the "Problem of Fitz".

For every well blocked run you show me where we seal the edges I could show you a well blocked run where we get push up front. Running the ball is an eleven man operation. Doing it well without any threat of a passing game is not possible without the oline doing their job. Having said that, I agree that Vitale and Dickerson have blocked well(check out Dickerson driving his guy 5 yards into the end zone on our 2nd TD yesterday) and our WRs are much better blockers than they are pass catchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT