ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from San Diego

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Assorted thoughts from SoCal:

(1) That was one of the most satisfying NU victories I've ever attended. That third quarter was one for the ages. Surreal. Keep in mind that we were down 5 key starters in the 2nd half, but managed to pull it together and find a way to win. "Next man up" mentality was on full display.

(2) Credit to BOTH coordinators for making obvious halftime adjustments. And Fitz's postgame comments speak for themselves. I'm delighted.

(3) My San Diego friends said hours of relentless rain is basically unheard of, yet we say through all of it. It all felt just fine after the game, but it was...not pleasant at times.

(4) NU was outnumbered 2-to-1 in terms of fans, but we probably had about 10,000 there. Before the rain started, I looked around & we had a very respectable showing. Once the downpour began, many fans retreated to under various overhangs, so it looked emptier than it was. And when we were making big plays, we were loud.

(5) The Holiday Bowl experience was awesome. We spent two days in Coronado, had an amazing dinner in downtown SD after the game, and loved the weather than bookended game day. I would 100% go back if we get invited again in the future, in spite of...

(6) That awful stadium. Hard to overstate what a dump it is. Woof. Move it to PetCo Park.

(7) I am so proud of this team. They have now:

- Won 36 games in 4 years. Nine W's per year, on average. Damn impressive. Thank you, seniors.

- Won three consecutive bowl games, against the ACC, SEC and PAC 12. Having sat through half a dozen straight bowl losses, this is especially sweet.

- Finished this season as the B1G West champion (the West went 4-1 in bowl season btw) AND the champion of a good bowl game against a fellow P5 divisional champ. They'll almost certainly finish ranked in the top 20 for the second straight season.

- Done all of this while achieving the best graduation rate in all of major college football.

Hard to imagine the program being in better position moving forward. I hope recruits and donors (new stadium next, please!) are paying attention. Let's keep building. Always proud to be a Wildcat, but a bit prouder than usual today. Go 'Cats!

(1) That was one of the most satisfying NU victories I've ever attended. That third quarter was one for the ages. Surreal. Keep in mind that we were down 5 key starters in the 2nd half, but managed to pull it together and find a way to win. "Next man up" mentality was on full display.

(2) Credit to BOTH coordinators for making obvious halftime adjustments. And Fitz's postgame comments speak for themselves. I'm delighted.

(3) My San Diego friends said hours of relentless rain is basically unheard of, yet we say through all of it. It all felt just fine after the game, but it was...not pleasant at times.

(4) NU was outnumbered 2-to-1 in terms of fans, but we probably had about 10,000 there. Before the rain started, I looked around & we had a very respectable showing. Once the downpour began, many fans retreated to under various overhangs, so it looked emptier than it was. And when we were making big plays, we were loud.

(5) The Holiday Bowl experience was awesome. We spent two days in Coronado, had an amazing dinner in downtown SD after the game, and loved the weather than bookended game day. I would 100% go back if we get invited again in the future, in spite of...

(6) That awful stadium. Hard to overstate what a dump it is. Woof. Move it to PetCo Park.

- Won 36 games in 4 years. Nine W's per year, on average. Damn impressive. Thank you, seniors.

- Won three consecutive bowl games, against the ACC, SEC and PAC 12. Having sat through half a dozen straight bowl losses, this is especially sweet.

- Finished this season as the B1G West champion (the West went 4-1 in bowl season btw) AND the champion of a good bowl game against a fellow P5 divisional champ. They'll almost certainly finish ranked in the top 20 for the second straight season.

- Done all of this while achieving the best graduation rate in all of major college football.

Hard to imagine the program being in better position moving forward. I hope recruits and donors (new stadium next, please!) are paying attention. Let's keep building. Always proud to be a Wildcat, but a bit prouder than usual today. Go 'Cats!
Great post worthy of more than a mere like!

I was there also and concur. San Diego is lovely. I see why the Chargers left. Stadium needs lots of work. Uber and Lyft was not very good after the game.

That stadium looks like it was teleported from Soviet era Minsk. It was bizarre. Seats were good but it was about the weirdest stadium I have seen.

I politely disagree that the seats were good. Even the "good" ones were set waaaayyyyy back from the playing field. Fans felt far removed from the game, IMO. Hope they find a new venue for an otherwise-worthy and excellent bowl game/experience.

That stadium looks like it was teleported from Soviet era Minsk. It was bizarre. Seats were good but it was about the weirdest stadium I have seen.

If anyone has any insight into whether the bowl is considering Petco Park, that would be welcome news. Would vastly improve an already great bowl game.

1 and 2 are both very correct, and significant. Especially 1. There are many years in the past where a couple key injuries have doomed us. This year, and even more so in that game, we had injuries all over the field (CB, WR, RB, DT, LB) and still had competitive depth behind it that came in and won us a game over a top 25 opponent. Next man up, indeed!

1 and 2 are both very correct, and significant. Especially 1. There are many years in the past where a couple key injuries have doomed us. This year, and even more so in that game, we had injuries all over the field (CB, WR, RB, DT, LB) and still had competitive depth behind it that came in and won us a game over a top 25 opponent. Next man up, indeed!
True that. If this happened 10-15 years ago it would be more like a 3-4 win season:

Starting QB at 50% for the first 3 games, walk-on QB takes rest of the snaps
Starting RB retires after 3 games, next 2 RBs out the rest of the regular season; down to true frosh and walk-on RB
Both kickers lost for basically second half of the season; down to a transfer punter to kick FGs and PATs
Top 3 DBs basically out for the last third of the regular season

Well said!

Reactions: rmndcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT