ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Nebraska job

Having lived in SoCal for 30+ years, I can tell you with certainty that the USC job was NOT the perfect job for Petersen and I am sure that he knew it. He is not the glitzy media-type personality (like Pete Carroll) which the USC job requires and prospers under. Great coach, yes. He has won everywhere and is just the innovative, tactical type coach Nebby needs.
If one makes enough money, living in Lincoln should not be a problem. Most likely there's a steakhouse there.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Nebraska’s Schedule
8/27 @NU (Dublin) LOST
9/3 North Dakota
9/10 Georgia Southern
9/17 Oklahoma
9/24 BYE
10/1 Indiana
10/7 @Rutgers
10/15 @Purdue
10/22 BYE
10/29 Illinois
11/5 Minnesota
11/12 @Michigan
11/19 Wisconsin
11/25 @Iowa

I think it is a little premature to dig Frost's grave just yet.

First off, who is to say Northwestern isn't simply f*cking good this year and maybe one of the best teams they play this year? I don't see Ohio State or Michigan State on their schedule. And who is to say we are not even better than them, let's see how things go.

And guys, if we don't recover the onside kick (slippery hands, a funny bounce) or if a ref make a bad call or if the Nebraska QB drives them down the field at the end, we lose. It's not like we won by 21 points. Nebraska could have most certainly won this game.

If they win the next two and even if they lose the Oklahoma game, I can see them going undefeated the rest of the way or only having one loss, against, say Michigan or Wisconsin. Or both, but that is still an 8-4 season, Bowl game, progress.

Mind you, am I predicting that, but is it out of the question, most certainly not.

I can see him going 9-3 and keeping his job and even 8-4 and keeping it.

First off, who is to say Northwestern isn't simply f*cking good this year and maybe one of the best teams they play this year? I don't see Ohio State or Michigan State on their schedule. And who is to say we are not even better than them, let's see how things go.

And guys, if we don't recover the onside kick (slippery hands, a funny bounce) or if a ref make a bad call or if the Nebraska QB drives them down the field at the end, we lose. It's not like we won by 21 points. Nebraska could have most certainly won this game.

If they win the next two and even if they lose the Oklahoma game, I can see them going undefeated the rest of the way or only having one loss, against, say Michigan or Wisconsin. Or both, but that is still an 8-4 season, Bowl game, progress.

Mind you, am I predicting that, but is it out of the question, most certainly not.

I agree. It may just be that NU is a very good team this year, or at least we found a way to defeat a very good team. We'll see.

Oh its all speculation... Nebraska probably isn't that good, but maybe we're pretty good. Impossible to know at this point.
Nebraska will have its hands full with Minnesota and Illinois. Certainly Purdue. Playing at Rutgers may not be so easy either.
They could lose all those games.
They will probably lose to Wisconsin. They're unlikely to win at Michigan.

Fearless forecast.... Worst case scenario 3-9. Best case scenario 7-5.

I think Urban Meyer or Art Briles could be successful there. Not sure Urban would do it without a recruiting advantage base, but Briles would jump at the chance to get back in the game.

I think Urban Meyer or Art Briles could be successful there. Not sure Urban would do it without a recruiting advantage base, but Briles would jump at the chance to get back in the game.

I’m guessing you don’t believe 25% of what you post. Trolling for a reaction and working to uphold your message board persona.

Why WOULD Matt Campbell take it? He's literally making millions in Ames with a fanbase who supports him with realistic expectations. What reason would he have to think he could do a better job than Frost, who came back to Lincoln with a ton of goodwill and equity and all the confidence in the world after leading UCF to the whatever bowl.

And that's what makes Neb a BAD job. The fanbase, and laughable expectations. When you have a group that obsesses over fake sellouts and will travel to the depths of hell to watch their team play and wear that as a badge of honor like it should give them extra points at the start of the game, even though they haven't caught a whiff of any version of a championship in a decade...no thanks. Their best bet is to hire up from the MAC and hope they get lucky.
Campbell would consider because it would put him in the big 2 of conferences and not in a situation where he is stuck in a perceived weaker conference. He would also make more of those millions and to be realistic Nebraska still has more name cache than ISU.

Campbell would consider because it would put him in the big 2 of conferences and not in a situation where he is stuck in a perceived weaker conference. He would also make more of those millions and to be realistic Nebraska still has more name cache than ISU.
He is already a millionaire several times over.

In Ames, he is treated with respect and patience.

In Ames, he's watched a UNL hero fall from grace who will soon leave a total, catastrophic failure...where he wouldn't even start out with so much equity.

In Lincoln, on his first day he'll have some old white dickhead with tractor money telling him why they need to go back to the Power I.

He'll have journalists from every single media outlet in the State of Nebraska breathing down his neck like they're his boss.

He'll have no better chance than Iowa to win the Big Ten championship (which they haven't done since 2004). He's never beaten Iowa, by the way.

Point being...sure, maybe he wants to take his shot and move...but 1) maybe he actually sees the Nebraska job for what it is, 2) maybe given that he's a "top name" in coaching gives him even better mobility to move elsewhere, and 3) maybe he's pretty happy chasing after the Big XII title and having patience and support on his side while doing so.

I think there are people who look at Fitz and "obviously" moving on from Evanston, and have for a while now.

Reactions: NUCat320

In Ames, he's watched a UNL hero fall from grace who will soon leave a total, catastrophic failure...where he wouldn't even start out with so much equity.

In Lincoln, on his first day he'll have some old white dickhead with tractor money telling him why they need to go back to the Power I.

He'll have journalists from every single media outlet in the State of Nebraska breathing down his neck like they're his boss.

He'll have no better chance than Iowa to win the Big Ten championship (which they haven't done since 2004). He's never beaten Iowa, by the way.

Point being...sure, maybe he wants to take his shot and move...but 1) maybe he actually sees the Nebraska job for what it is, 2) maybe given that he's a "top name" in coaching gives him even better mobility to move elsewhere, and 3) maybe he's pretty happy chasing after the Big XII title and having patience and support on his side while doing so.

I think there are people who look at Fitz and "obviously" moving on from Evanston, and have for a while now.

Your points have some validity, despite the bias, but If some desperate "once was" football program doubles his salary, he's probably going to take the offer.

I doubt that most coaches look at the Frost situation and think "Yeah. Nebraska is really upset with Scott Frost - I wonder why?"

I get the sense Campbell is only leaving the Cyclones for the NFL.

Urban can't go to a school like that.

He got burned out at Ohio State which has the 2nd strongest national recruiting base behind Alabama.

What's he going to do at Nebraska which recruits similarly to Wisconsin and Iowa?

Nebraska has no big edge over the West teams.

A great coach would make a difference but nowhere near enough to somehow get to where Ohio State is.

Reactions: NUCat320
A great coach would make a difference but nowhere near enough to somehow get to where Ohio State is.

In the early 2000s I thought the same thing about USC and then Pete Carroll took over. I'm not suggesting he will take the job, that was just an example of how a program some folks now consider a "faded glory" can turn around amazingly.

I think Frost will stay, though. because with his schedule and a not terribly good looking West division (see last nights games) I can certainly see him winning 8 games. If his QB doesn't throw a late INT Nebraska might have won last week.

Any way you could have made all these great points without the tractor guy stuff?

At some point (and it was last year), his penchant for losing close games is not a string of bad luck. It is due to poor decisionmaking (timeout , onside kick) and a program culture that fears for the worst rather than expects victory.

He is a good coach but a terrible leader.

I don’t care to look it up again, but I’m fairly certain they were 1-8 in conference last season while actually outscoring their opponents. They can’t win when it’s close.

At some point (and it was last year), his penchant for losing close games is not a string of bad luck. It is due to poor decisionmaking (timeout , onside kick) and a program culture that fears for the worst rather than expects victory.

He is a good coach but a terrible leader.

I don’t care to look it up again, but I’m fairly certain they were 1-8 in conference last season while actually outscoring their opponents. They can’t win when it’s close.
I share your desire not to revisit that scoring stat, because the only way it could work mathematically is because of what they did to their opponent in their one win…. :oops:

In the early 2000s I thought the same thing about USC and then Pete Carroll took over. I'm not suggesting he will take the job, that was just an example of how a program some folks now consider a "faded glory" can turn around amazingly.

I think Frost will stay, though. because with his schedule and a not terribly good looking West division (see last nights games) I can certainly see him winning 8 games. If his QB doesn't throw a late INT Nebraska might have won last week.

If you look at Nebraska's schedule, you will see that 8-4 is about the best they can possibly do this year.

North Dakota - 95% WIN
Georgia Southern - 85% WIN
Oklahoma - 90% LOSS
Indiana -- 85% WIN
@Rutgers -- 55% WIN
@Purdue -- 50% WIN
Illinois -- 55% WIN
Minnesota -- 60% LOSS
@Michigan -- 80% LOSS
Wisconsin -- 65% LOSS
@Iowa -- 65% LOSS

That adds up to 0.95+0.85+0.1+0.85+0.55+0.5+0.55+0.4+0.2+0.35+0.35 = 5.65

so 5.65 wins, 6.35 losses.

But if the Huskers exceed expectations, Northwestern will be in good shape, because Northwestern is better than Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT