ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbits from InsideNU

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Some good stuff from their interviews at Big 10 Media Day:

• Northwestern hasn’t moved into Welsh-Ryan Arena yet, and the players haven’t seen it. One person familiar with the arena called it “unrecognizable” from pre-renovation Welsh-Ryan. Collins said expects the team to move in the week after next.

• Collins gushed over Pete Nance’s upside, saying he’s a year or two away from being physically ready to dominate. Still, Nance is superbly skilled as a passer and a shooter, which will translate early. On offense, Nance gives NU a legitimate pick-and-pop threat, and he could team with Pardon to form a frontcourt that would protect the rim at a high level and cover a lot of ground. Collins said Nance probably has more upside than any player Northwestern’s ever had. Nance bulked up from 200 pounds to 220 pounds this summer, and has more to go. Collins mentioned 240 pounds as an eventual target weight for Nance.
  • Miller Kopp, the freshman most ready to contribute physically, is another long wing. At 6-foot-6, Kopp can post up smaller players, but also shoot the ball from deep. Here’s what Collins said about Kopp:
“Hard nosed, man. He’s a competitive dude. His body is Big Ten ready. He’s a big wing. He’s 6-6, 220 pounds. He’s ultra-competitive. Imagine living in a house with four Division I athletes as brothers. His older brother’s an offensive lineman at Vanderbilt, he’s second, his brother below him’s gonna be a Division I basketball player and his sophomore-aged brother’s gonna be a Division I athlete in either football or basketball. That’s a competitive household, so he mixes it up, he’s got a competitive nastiness that I really like. But he can make shots. He’s a big wing who can play inside-out. He can post smaller guys, he can make shots from the perimeter. He’s a big scorer, scorer’s mentality in high school.”

I looked up his older brother, he's listed at 6'5" and 275 lbs. Miller has the genetics to grow into a Charles Barkley-like Round Mound of Rebound......

https://www.insidenu.com/2018/10/12...eview-chris-collins-vic-law-big-ten-media-day

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
I thought Kopp was more a 6-7 or 6-8 type player in the Coble mode... but 6-6 220 Barkley type was not what I expected. But I'll take it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT