ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Maryland vs. Northwestern

Young is unbelievable. Maybe the best guard in the country. I was stunned he didn’t go to the basket with a chance to win it.

Best game for MN by far. Still had a touch foul or two and the FT needs work but he was generally physical and went up strong to score.

Boo had some surprisingly sloppy plays including a bad turnover and an inbounds 5 second violation. He’s human, folks.
My favorite MN plays last night were two rebounds near the end of the game. He was aggressive and positioned himself the way we’ve been hoping he would. If he keeps that out, look out!

Young is unbelievable. Maybe the best guard in the country. I was stunned he didn’t go to the basket with a chance to win it.

Best game for MN by far. Still had a touch foul or two and the FT needs work but he was generally physical and went up strong to score.

Boo had some surprisingly sloppy plays including a bad turnover and an inbounds 5 second violation. He’s human, folks.
I have to wonder if Young was just tired on that last play. I think he was basically the only MD player to touch the ball the last 2-3 minutes. He had expended so much energy. I think Boo cut off his initial drive and he just gave in.

He was incredibly dirty off the ball. The refs didn’t call it at all but he was getting away with a ton and shoving and throwing an occasional elbow. Not a fan of his.
Agreed 100%. What a scumbag player. It wasn't only the cheap play off the ball, it was the whining and cheap talk between plays. Cats did a nice job standing up to his garbage, but not getting sucked in.

I'd also add Harris-Smith to this list. Plenty of grabs, holds and cheap off the ball tactics.

I've seen this garbage too much from Maryland in the last few years. There's physical play and then there's what Maryland does. Locking arms in the paint. Hanging on jerseys before the ball comes inbound. I've come to expect it from Scott but he was low key last night. However this goes back to Turgeron, so it must be the players. They're EASILY one of my least favorite teams.

Another kudos to the team. They played some nice defense in the 2nd half, considering they had four fouls called on them in the first 1:02.

Reactions: macarthur31
Agreed 100%. What a scumbag player. It wasn't only the cheap play off the ball, it was the whining and cheap talk between plays. Cats did a nice job standing up to his garbage, but not getting sucked in.

I'd also add Harris-Smith to this list. Plenty of grabs, holds and cheap off the ball tactics.

I've seen this garbage too much from Maryland in the last few years. There's physical play and then there's what Maryland does. Locking arms in the paint. Hanging on jerseys before the ball comes inbound. I've come to expect it from Scott but he was low key last night. However this goes back to Turgeron, so it must be the players. They're EASILY one of my least favorite teams.
Turgeon was a class A prick so he probably started this culture of football in basketball.

There was one MD drive when Reese walled and hooked Hunger. It was egregious.

At the end of the game Barnhizer would screen Buie’s guy, forcing Scott to be on Buie. That was 2 points every time, either for Buie himself or dishing off the drive.

Yup. I thought they were borderline cheap last night. Scott set a really hard pick on Boo last night right on the first possession. Caught Boo pretty high. Set the tone for the night. Reese was grabbing, elbowing, shoulder dipping, and yapping all night. I was hoping Matt would elbow smash him to the head to learn him.

I was at the game and I watched the replay in its entirety. Maryland played like Audige used to play.
If thats a problem... For me thats Big Ten basketball. It is physical. Reese could not rattle Nicholson, but Nicholson definitely was getting to Reese. Surprised at the name-calling.

Last edited:
Man I really wish I could watch this team defensively with a healthy Audige. Barnhizer has developed into such a strong and savvy defender. The steals would be through the roof with Audige on the court as well. Buie is a stronger defender this year. Berry is a strong defender. Matt just needs to stay in the groove. Would be unreal to watch that again especially with this teams offensive ceiling.

Reactions: ballerog711
Shocked that he missed and shocked that it was Boo on him instead of Berry. It was like both stars confidently told their respective coaches "I'll make it" just like Jimmy Chitwood and there's nothing a coach can do then except let ballplayers play.
I loved how in the post-game interview that Boo did with Robbie Hummel he said that his favorite part of the game was the defense he played on Young on that last shot that he missed. Talk about a player that has grown leaps and bounds. He came in as a talented player who really didn't understand how to play the game and is leaving as an incredibly smart player that has developed an all-around game with a high basketball IQ.

His growth not only on the court but from the mental/IQ side as well, has been incredible and so fun to watch.

I loved how in the post-game interview that Boo did with Robbie Hummel he said that his favorite part of the game was the defense he played on Young on that last shot that he missed. Talk about a player that has grown leaps and bounds. He came in as a talented player who really didn't understand how to play the game and is leaving as an incredibly smart player that has developed an all-around game with a high basketball IQ.

His growth not only on the court but from the mental/IQ side as well, has been incredible and so fun to watch.
Not sure which interview, but Buie also said "When I got here, there was no real leadership from a player perspective" - aimed at some of his former teammates.

Hummel knows his basketball and his comment "Now, you always expect Buie to make the right play" is high praise.

Not sure which interview, but Buie also said "When I got here, there was no real leadership from a player perspective" - aimed at some of his former teammates.
My eyebrows went up at that quote, too. But looking back at his first year, there were only 2 Seniors on the team: transfer Pat Spencer, playing his first year of college hoops, and AJ Turner. Anthony Gaines was the only Junior, and he was hurt and only played 10 games. Everyone else was a first or second year player trying to find their way. I'd say it was less a knock on teammates than the reality of playing on a really, really young team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT