ADVERTISEMENT

To those who predicted Cats D troubles...

scru

Sep 4, 2005
you nailed it. Three games in a row this team has not shown the defensive toughness or consistency of last year's team. Not sure whether it is personnel, scheme, execution, or effort. But, losing the team's best and most consistent defender certainly doesn't help.

Creighton was hitting some horse shots. We need to recoup, get Falzon back and kick some behind

Creighton was hitting some horse shots. We need to recoup, get Falzon back and kick some behind
Except that's three teams in a row where we've been telling ourselves that.

"Some."

But A LOT of others were easy layups and putbacks. Had to have been a dozen in the second half. Need better defensive rebounding and to get better at cutting off drives to the basket.

Yeah, after three games, without one of out starters, we know a,lot, lol. Did we know we would go to the Dance after 3 games last year?

Yeah, after three games, without one of out starters, we know a,lot, lol. Did we know we would go to the Dance after 3 games last year?
Don’t even get me started.

For those who watched on tv, was that out of bounds call on Law as bad as it seemed?

I'll just post here what I tweeted at halftime.

"For those of us who understood who he was and how much he did, we aren't surprised to see how much Northwestern misses Sanjay Lumpkin."

We got next to nothing from Pardon and Lindsey and still had a shot to win down the stretch. Creighton made big shot after big shot and is a nice team that will make some noise in the Big East.

Love the way McIntosh is playing right now. He worked on his shot a ton this off-season and it's going to continue to payoff.

Don’t even get me started.

For those who watched on tv, was that out of bounds call on Law as bad as it seemed?
Yup, but not because Law was out when he saved it, since the ball already hit the line. The ball hit the Creighton player on the floor after the Law block prior to going out of bounds. One of many terrible calls, 95 percent of which favored the Bluejays. Creighton coach, who usually works the officials like mad, complained ONCE the entire game, when he thought Benson pushed his player put of bounds. That should tell you something about the officiating...

Fire some coach, any coach!

We'll be OK, though it's obvious that we need to find our defense mojo. Creighton is a damn good team, they were on fire in the first half and weathered our storm at the start of the second half.

The out of bound call was atrocious and was similar to the call in the Gonzaga game. That should have been reversed. The refs were calling a lot of Ricky tack fouls in general. That call affected the outcome of the game. Just a shame we can’t get good refs

Yup, but not because Law was out when he saved it, since the ball already hit the line. The ball hit the Creighton player on the floor after the Law block prior to going out of bounds. One of many terrible calls, 95 percent of which favored the Bluejays. Creighton coach, who usually works the officials like mad, complained ONCE the entire game, when he thought Benson pushed his player put of bounds. That should tell you something about the officiating...
That's what I thought too. Law blocked it and then it hit the Creighton guy's shoulder before landing.

However, to be fair, it sure looked like BMac traveled on one of his jumpers late in the 2nd half. The first pump fake was ok, but then it looked like he took one more step.

"For those of us who understood who he was and how much he did, we aren't surprised to see how much Northwestern misses Sanjay Lumpkin."

We got next to nothing from Pardon and Lindsey and still had a shot to win down the stretch. Creighton made big shot after big shot and is a nice team that will make some noise in the Big East.

Love the way McIntosh is playing right now. He worked on his shot a ton this off-season and it's going to continue to payoff.
Now if Mac could just stop with the finger rolls. Pardon and Lindsey both got into early foul troubles and NU got nothing off the bench. Also what Skelly gives them on offense he gives that and more away on defense. True Creighton made some "HORSE" shots but they also got lots of easy layups and put backs.

This is the game. Had Lumpkin been on the court last night he would have switched. Too many Cats don't see it coming on D and don't switch. Prescription is a lot of film study. It's not easy to play the way Creighton played last night. Creighton is very good. McDermott impressed the hell out of me last night.

Reactions: Katatonic

Well said

NU man to man was suspect all night. I think you have to have a change of pace defense to employ in games like last night. Some type of zone, just to make the opposition adjust could have been helpful.The number of easy baskets that Creighton got was disappointing not to mention their good 3 point shooting

Except that's three teams in a row where we've been telling ourselves that.

Our opponents are shooting 44.1% beyond the arc against us--and we've only played one good team. That currently ranks our 3-point defense at 302nd in the country (out of 351). Ouch.

what's wrong with a 3-2 zone. Duke played it all game against Sparty to good result. Or the Carmody 2-3, methinks CCC had some success with that here in the past. Didn't we play some zone against the Zags in our comeback? Have we not had time to practice it yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT