ADVERTISEMENT

Too funny not to share...

VirginiaWildcat

Aug 31, 2001
Our buddy Ben Goren (DocCat Jr) is looking for a new team to be a fan of. NU's tourney run apparently just wasn't enough to keep him a fan of the Wildcats. Lol At least he's not pretending anymore...

Our buddy Ben Goren (DocCat Jr) is looking for a new team to be a fan of. NU's tourney run apparently just wasn't enough to keep him a fan of the Wildcats. Lol At least he's not pretending anymore...

70212422b61fa567414dfa29efcdbfc0befeaf931545304cb8938be0583e2ae9.jpg

Can someone fill me in here? Is this guy a Carmody truther? Kinda lost

He wrote several hit pieces on NU hoops for insidenu.com all while claiming to be a fan, all the while hating NU hoops simply because Carmody was fired. Like I said, now at least he doesn't have to pretend.

It's sort of a admission of guilt. I find it quite funny.

He wrote several hit pieces on NU hoops for insidenu.com all while claiming to be a fan, all the while hating NU hoops simply because Carmody was fired. Like I said, now at least he doesn't have to pretend.

How old is he???

How old is he???
He is an ageless and omnipotent being. He sees all and knows all. How else could he grasp the truth that we, the unwashed masses, cannot grasp? The truth that Collins is guilty on all counts, that Vassar is a martyr for a cause much bigger than himself, and that due process of law is worthless and unnecessary?

Seriously, if he wants to abandon the team because of the whole Vassar situation, he can go right ahead. Good ridance. I'll withhold my plebbish judgement until the case is settled.

He also had one of the most unfunny features on that site called "Hate Week". Really a nerdy kid.

You can go onward to his profile for a bunch of replies and more attempts at burns. It's self-indulgent and frankly kind of sad (or sad!).

Aside from the Lost Tribe of the Princeton Offense, I can understand someone feeling discomfort about the Vassar case, because I do. But one disgruntled player's lawsuit isn't enough, especially when there are enough unanswered questions about his allegations and the motivation behind them. I hope NU completed its due diligence before offering this contract and that we have better processes in place for the next time someone wants to transfer.

You can go onward to his profile for a bunch of replies and more attempts at burns. It's self-indulgent and frankly kind of sad (or sad!).

Aside from the Lost Tribe of the Princeton Offense, I can understand someone feeling discomfort about the Vassar case, because I do. But one disgruntled player's lawsuit isn't enough, especially when there are enough unanswered questions about his allegations and the motivation behind them. I hope NU completed its due diligence before offering this contract and that we have better processes in place for the next time someone wants to transfer.

I think we all feel some discomfort about the allegations presented in Vassar's complaint. We don't know if any/all of the allegations are true, nor do we know who was responsible for the alleged misconduct, and we probably won't have access to the full record even after the case is settled. But a ruling will be made based on evidence provided by both parties. The reason this kid (and InsideNU in general) really grinds my gears is because he has always insisted that every allegation levied in Vassar's complaint is true, despite only having superficial evidence from one party. His (and insideNU's) reporting on the story has been one-dimensional, sensationalist, and has been presented as fact rather than opinion.

Also, if you really feel that Collins has acted unethically, why abandon the team completely? Does he feel the current players are also responsible? Will he send back his degree if he feels the institution is responsible? It really does seem like he's pushing this narrative in a self-serving way, especially with this twitter stunt, as you say. It's the latest in a series of bad moves for this aspiring journalist.

I hope NU completed its due diligence before offering this contract and that we have better processes in place for the next time someone wants to transfer.
I don't think the problem was that Vassar wanted to transfer. NU would have been thrilled if he had transferred.

Vassar claimed he wanted to transfer, but there were no takers (at least suitable to Vassar) willing to wait for him to sit out a year. His beef is with the NCAA, not NU. NU was not holding him back from transferring.

Boy, I would have jumped at the chance to clean toilets in exchange for a free NU degree.

Also, if you really feel that Collins has acted unethically, why abandon the team completely? Does he feel the current players are also responsible?

This is a good point. You can hate Collins and still root for the guys who play with poise and class.

I don't think the problem was that Vassar wanted to transfer. NU would have been thrilled if he had transferred.

Vassar claimed he wanted to transfer, but there were no takers (at least suitable to Vassar) willing to wait for him to sit out a year. His beef is with the NCAA, not NU. NU was not holding him back from transferring.

Boy, I would have jumped at the chance to clean toilets in exchange for a free NU degree.
I did, in fact, clean toilets to pay for part of my NU degree.

How old is he???

Why do you get so much enjoyment blasting a young guy right out of college? I'm glad y'all never did anything regrettable in your 20s, let alone a year out of NU.

I liked Doccatsfan. I'll freely admit it. I don't know his son.

I'm not sure why the OP feels it's necessary to constantly dredge up the past and continue bashing a poster who is not here anymore.

Somehow it's worse that the OP is going after the former poster's son.

I don't care about the viewpoints either way, but it is unseemly of Northwestern fans and in a way you're proving the Gorens to be right about the lot of ya.

Reactions: Noah121
I did, in fact, clean toilets to pay for part of my NU degree.

Back to this again eh? I believe you and you should have seen what my work study job involved!

But you continue to miss the larger point. Our jobs were not assigned to us with the specific intent to embarrass us or to make us uncomfortable.

Why do you get so much enjoyment blasting a young guy right out of college? I'm glad y'all never did anything regrettable in your 20s, let alone a year out of NU.

I'm not sure why the OP feels it's necessary to constantly dredge up the past and continue bashing a poster who is not here anymore.

I don't care about the viewpoints either way, but it is unseemly of Northwestern fans and in a way you're proving the Gorens to be right about the lot of ya.

Should we think about the pluses and minuses of mocking an NU family of alums by name in public?

I frankly didn't mind DocCatFan all that much. And I posted previously that his son is a talented writer, which he is whether you agree with his opinions or not.

Perhaps if we're going to treat an NU family in this manner we should first identify ourselves by name.

Not sure who's worse - him or Trahan. Pathetic.
Trahan's story for Vice was well-reported and was not one-sided. NU missed the chance to respond, as a result of university policy, but any discerning reader could see that there are two sides.

I don't follow insideNU, so I don't know what else Trahan has done to draw that ire, but I hope he uses that piece to get published on better and higher-profile sites.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/did-northwestern-basketball-run-off-johnnie-vassar

Goren's follow-up piece, meanwhile, was self-indulgent drivel, and hopefully nobody finds it while he's trying to get work in the future. Trahan did all the work - somehow, Goren wrote about as many words.

That said, it's amazing to me that we're commenting on the Twitter feed of a former student journalist. It takes effort to find this stuff.

Are you kidding? This is an adult, no longer a kid who goes out of his way to constantly bash NU in a very public forum.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat

Who did I "blast"? I literally said a post before this I didn't know the story. No idea WTF you're talking about

And also I'm only a few years removed from college myself, so even if I were "blasting" someone, it'd be a peer of mine, and it sounds like you'd be okay with that

Oh puh-lease Louise. Save us the drama. If the dude uses his name publicly to make statements and blare his opinions to the world, he is fair game to be called out for it. No one is forcing him to tweet all this nonsense, it's his choice unfortunately.

Oh puh-lease Louise. Save us the drama. If the dude uses his name publicly to make statements and blare his opinions to the world, he is fair game to be called out for it. No one is forcing him to tweet all this nonsense, it's his choice unfortunately.

I guess Yesterdays thinks the 20s is the age equivalent of Vegas. Do what you want, say what you want, and no one can call you on it.

When I worked for the Daily and then for "real" newspapers after college, I thought that I was supposed to be responsible for what I wrote. If only I had known that I could have written anything I wanted, without consequences.

Reactions: mikewebb68
It bottles my mind that people still care about Carmody's tenure here after what Collins has done the last 4 years. Literally bottles my mind

Reactions: NUCat320
It bottles my mind that people still care about Carmody's tenure here after what Collins has done the last 4 years. Literally bottles my mind

Thank goodness it doesn't BOGGLE your mind like it does for most of our minds.

(hint)

P

"Pitch me a new basketball team". Twitter is turning our abominable grammatical skills into even more of a joke. I use the phrase "throw me down the stairs a hammer", with my students to convey the importance of word placement to accurately communicating. This writer needs a refresher it seems.

P

"Pitch me a new basketball team". Twitter is turning our abominable grammatical skills into even more of a joke. I use the phrase "throw me down the stairs a hammer", with my students to convey the importance of word placement to accurately communicating. This writer needs a refresher it seems.

You assume he is a trained writer. Based on his body of work, I would call that a stretch

Reactions: mikewebb68
That "son" is a grown man who has written several "adult" article hit pieces on Collins and company dating back to before the Vassar situation.

Like what "hit" pieces?

I never said that he wasn't an adult, either. As usual, you're distorting what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT