ADVERTISEMENT

Uhhhh...

giphy.gif

From the article...this isn't the school paying players, this is a representative/agent paying players in hopes that they'd then choose him when they went to the NFL.

Would be dumb for him to pick us if that's the case, considering our most recent pick in the top 3 rounds was Luis Castillo in 2005...

NU had five players drafted from 2010-2014. This is *maybe* referencing one player.

Feeling like “nothing” from a program perspective.

Outside of 2012 those are a collection of the worst Fitz years once he got his feet wet.

I reached out to NU for a response today. This is from a University spokesman:

“Northwestern University is not aware of any misconduct related to this report, however we take any allegation seriously and actively investigate. Our University and the Department of Athletics & Recreation are committed to exercising the highest ethical and professional standards, as well as upholding all NCAA rules and regulations.”

Just about what you’d expect. It will be interesting to see where this story goes.

NU had five players drafted from 2010-2014. This is *maybe* referencing one player.

Feeling like “nothing” from a program perspective.
The five players: Wootton, Kafka, & McManis In 2010, Dunsmore & Ebert In 2012.

I dislike speculating as this could be just a lie or misrepresentation. The highest player drafted was Wootton - just ahead of Kafka in the fourth round.

However after his knee injury, I don’t think anyone in their right mind would have paid Corey pre-draft as he wasn’t close to a projected first round pick any longer. To (theoretically) emphasize: if I were him and worried about my financial future, then maybe I’d take any money offered after potentially losing millions due to a bowl game knee injury.

Just imagine the backlash if it were Colter... who was a UDFA WR in 2014. Philosophically it would make sense given his stance on players unionizing and ultimately getting paid. But, again, who in their right mind would give a potentially non-draftable player a big bag of cash.

Let’s all hope it simply isn’t true.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321

I dislike speculating as this could be just a lie or misrepresentation. The highest player drafted was Wootton - just ahead of Kafka in the fourth round.

However after his knee injury, I don’t think anyone in their right mind would have paid Corey pre-draft as he wasn’t close to a projected first round pick any longer. To (theoretically) emphasize: if I were him and worried about my financial future, then maybe I’d take any money offered after potentially losing millions due to a bowl game knee injury.

Just imagine the backlash if it were Colter... who was a UDFA WR in 2014. Philosophically it would make sense given his stance on players unionizing and ultimately getting paid. But, again, who in their right mind would give a potentially non-draftable player a big bag of cash.

I am fine if it’s true.

Reactions: julescat
I don't really care if it's true, as a player taking outside money from an agent doesn't offend me in the slightest.

That said, if it is true, and even if the school/program was completely unaware, the NCAA could force NU to vacate any wins involving that player after the payment was made.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I don't really care if it's true, as a player taking outside money from an agent doesn't offend me in the slightest.

That said, if it is true, and even if the school/program was completely unaware, the NCAA could force NU to vacate any wins involving that player after the payment was made.

If the (completely uncorroborated) suspicion is that the player was paid in advance of the draft it's possible all playing time was over. We really don't know anything at this point.

I hope whoever it was, if it was anyone, has enough integrity to come forward to the school.

Reactions: rmndcat and Styre
As I understand it this had nothing to do with the NU program, coaches, etc. This was someone paying individual players with possible draft level ability so that he could then represent them later. Reflects poorly on the players, but seems like no real issue for NU. Having said that the way things work the big boys will likely go free and they will force us to vacate all wins for the last 10 years lol

Reactions: NUCat320
If the (completely uncorroborated) suspicion is that the player was paid in advance of the draft it's possible all playing time was over. We really don't know anything at this point.

I hope whoever it was, if it was anyone, has enough integrity to come forward to the school.

Think it was before graduation as it sounded like guys were paid for months and months. Of course it was likely different magnitude for NU vs guys at Bama etc

Could be anything, from an agent buying lunch for a senior to discuss representing him, to maybe something slightly worse. Marty Blazer was a small time agent and con man. Doesn't seem much to worry about here.

Wootton said he didn't get any $$
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...-corruption-trial-20190424-story.html?src=rss

I didn't offer a current player any lemonade, but I did a favor after UNL homecoming last year. I was at a restaurant and a few players/families were there -- long waiting list for tables. I didn't buy anything, but I did let a player and his parents take my spot when a table opened up. I had to wait another 10mins, but seemed the least I could do after the way that game turned out.

Last edited:
Wootton said he didn't get any $$
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...-corruption-trial-20190424-story.html?src=rss

I didn't offer a current player any lemonade, but I did a favor after UNL homecoming last year. I was at a restaurant and a few players/families were there -- long waiting list for tables. I didn't buy anything, but I did let a player and his parents take my spot when a table opened up. I had to wait another 10mins, but seemed the least I could do after the way that game turned out.
Glad Teddy hopped right on top of this one and called Corey to write an article. Thanks Lou for getting the University's statement as well.

Glad Teddy hopped right on top of this one and called Corey to write an article. Thanks Lou for getting the University's statement as well.
I didn’t think it was true either and believe Corey. If he wasn’t offered cash, then no one from those five seasons was.

This is much ado about nothing in Evanston.

Last edited:
I didn’t think it was true either and believe Corey. If he wasn’t offered cash, then no one from those five seasons was.

The seasons in question are actually 2000-14, not 2010-14. But I agree, nothing to see here at any rate...

The seasons in question are actually 2000-14, not 2010-14. But I agree, nothing to see here at any rate...
Uh oh then. Luis Castillo is the most likely next player to be named, and his decision making around that time was pretty poor - how dumb does one have to be to test positive for andro at the combine?

I still hope it’s not true. But I’d be less shocked if so given this new timeframe.

Likely NU is especially sensitive after the gambling issue back under Barnett

Why not check to see if anyone actually went with him for financial advising?

Was Kafka on anybody's NFL draft radar going into his senior year? I can't imagine it was him. His most memorable moment going into that season was probably the Minnesota game, where he ran for 200+ yards IIRC (awesome, but not the typical NFL QB toolkit). His second most memorable moment (for the wrong reason) is probably his backwards pass against Indiana. I don't think many people outside the program (including most Northwestern fans) realized just what a stud he'd become. I'm not even sure his status as a mid-round draft pick was solidified until his performance in the Shrine game.

I was ineligible for modeling for the Daily Northwestern for two months as a junior at NU! Got some free clothes and that was it! Slap on the wrist

Lol yes, nothing to see here. Ole Fanboy Teddy gets Wooten to say he didn’t take cash, so surely there’s nothing to see here!

I know Teddy will pretty shamelessly do anything Phillips tells him to, but even for him this is embarrassing. They might as well start inviting him to the NU Athletic Dept holiday parties so they can pass him around like a roofied freshman at a frat party.

Reactions: IGNORE
Lol yes, nothing to see here. Ole Fanboy Teddy gets Wooten to say he didn’t take cash, so surely there’s nothing to see here!

I know Teddy will pretty shamelessly do anything Phillips tells him to, but even for him this is embarrassing. They might as well start inviting him to the NU Athletic Dept holiday parties so they can pass him around like a roofied freshman at a frat party.
Correct, nothing to see here.

Wow - You’ve cracked the case and revealed your past sexual predation in one fell swoop!

Just one question: who is Wooten?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT