ADVERTISEMENT

Unicorn Class

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
Man, did Collins and staff hit a grand slam homer with their first recruiting class. Four of the five signees have turned out to be legitimate Big 10 starters. By FAR the best class they have recruited to date. Just to show how much recruiting stars are for losers, the Class of 2014 was the worst ranked class of the 4 that have been on campus yet looks to be far and away the best. NU caught a real break with these kids.

Man, did Collins and staff hit a grand slam homer with their first recruiting class. Four of the five signees have turned out to be legitimate Big 10 starters. By FAR the best class they have recruited to date. Just to show how much recruiting stars are for losers, the Class of 2014 was the worst ranked class of the 4 that have been on campus yet looks to be far and away the best. NU caught a real break with these kids.

I totally agree with this assessment! But I'd also say that it is my opinion that the entire NU team is UNDER-achieving right now this season! They have played sloppy and relatively uninspired so far! I really anticipate Collins to coach them up to start kicking some tush very soon and turn the season around! I'd say we will make it to the Sweet 16 or better if we play to our abilities!!!

They've also had the longest amount of time to develop. CCC recruits developmental players who he believes can be molded into stars. The ready-made stars coming out of HS are not yet ready to commit to NU. Sustained success and program development will be required before this happens. I'm not talking one-and-done here, but guys like Mark Smith who are capable of contributing at a high level their freshman year.

I still remember Lindsey and Law early in their NU careers, and they were not leaps and bounds ahead of younger guys on the team now.

This is as much for me as it is for you... be patient.

Reactions: SmellyCat and NJCat
I still remember Lindsey and Law early in their NU careers, and they were not leaps and bounds ahead of younger guys on the team now.

Great point. 75 percent of NU fans said Scottie was a bust after his sophomore year. Lots of doubt thrown at Vic Law until last year.

I simply do not understand the shade thrown at guys like Benson, Falzon and Brown. Add Ash to that list. Not every recruit will turn into an elite player but many, like Skelly, will make major contributions throughout their career.

With that said, I'm struck by some of Collins' comments. The NU faithful talking elite 8 and Big Ten championships is a bit of stretch at this point. I think Collins knows exactly he has and sees the current state as hovering somewhere around point B.....with a ton of recruiting and work to do before getting to point A which is still a few years off.

Reactions: catfans5
Great point. 75 percent of NU fans said Scottie was a bust after his sophomore year. Lots of doubt thrown at Vic Law until last year.

I simply do not understand the shade thrown at guys like Benson, Falzon and Brown. Add Ash to that list. Not every recruit will turn into an elite player but many, like Skelly, will make major contributions throughout their career.

With that said, I'm struck by some of Collins' comments. The NU faithful talking elite 8 and Big Ten championships is a bit of stretch at this point. I think Collins knows exactly he has and sees the current state as hovering somewhere around point B.....with a ton of recruiting and work to do before getting to point A which is still a few years off.

Good perspective point. My 22 year old son went to the game with me last night. He lives out of state. He has gone to games for about 14 years. On the way in, he asked what was wrong with the Cats. I told him that we now expect to win and we used to hope we could win. He countered with he remembered when we used to hope we would keep it close. Times have changed.

like Skelly, will make major contributions throughout their career.

I was surprised at Skelly last night. I expected the bonehead turnovers, I didn't expect the threes, and the solid play after he settled down. He seems like someone with ADD. With meds he concentrates and plays well, without, and he's throwing the ball away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT