ADVERTISEMENT

Urban's game plan dilemma

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
When I speculated on the Cats' game plan for tomorrow, which I called a Goldilocks plan that called for an offense that opened up a little relative to those the Cats have followed the last five games or so while holding to a bend/ don't break defense spiced by a few attacks to try to create turnovers, it was clear that Fitz has a pretty simple goal: position the Cats so that they can win a close game over an apparently physically superior OSU team, leveraging known tendencies and the strengths the Cats bring to the table.

Unlike Fitz, Urban has a dilemma. Is it better to design a plan that optimizes the probability that OSU wins, or one that optimizes the probability that OSU blows out the Cats, since a blow out may be necessary to move the Bucks to the four team playoff.

This point is moot if the blowout strategy is the best one for also winning the game. I think it is clear it is not. A blow out strategy would weigh, on offense, to early vertical strikes. These would put the Cats behind in the game and force them out of their comfort zone, and possibly start an avalanche that would bury the Cats and result in a 40 point win. This has risks: deep passes are clearly lower percentage and can stall drives, and also give the Cats' safeties opportunities to make picks. The more reliable strategy to ensure a win would be to use crossing patterns and the run game to establish dominance followed by selective deep throws (the complement to the Cats optimal defensive strategy). On defense, the blow out strategy would call for bringing linebackers and possible safeties often and early, employing run blitzes on first down and jailbreak blitzes on passing downs. The upside would be an early burial of Thorson, with turnovers and an early seizing of the advantage. The downside of the strategy is that a cagey Cats' offense runs screens and draws, passing on running downs and running on passing downs. It gives openings for big plays. A conservative OSU defense plays zone, relies on its front 4 for pass rush, and conservatively mixes in run and pass blitzes.

I have no idea which way Urban goes. Part of me hopes that he decides to imitate Michigan and play a conservative game, since the blow out strategy could embarrass the Cats if successful; part of me hopes he goes for broke, because it gives a canny team like the Cats a chance to flip the leverage and gain control of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat
OSU didn’t necessarily throw the a lot of vertical routes against Michigan. It was a lot of crossing routes and underneath routes that took advantage of yards after the catch. The second TD was about 26 yards and the only other throw down the field that was completed was a wide open TD from about 35.

OSU didn’t necessarily throw the a lot of vertical routes against Michigan. It was a lot of crossing routes and underneath routes that took advantage of yards after the catch. The second TD was about 26 yards and the only other throw down the field that was completed was a wide open TD from about 35.

The Cats will not fall into the trap Michigan did relative to pass defense. They will be playing their regular zone that allows but limits damage underneath. If Urban wants to win, he will dink down the field. But if he wants to crush, he will go vertical. It will be interesting to see which he chooses.

The Cats will not fall into the trap Michigan did relative to pass defense. They will be playing their regular zone that allows but limits damage underneath. If Urban wants to win, he will dink down the field. But if he wants to crush, he will go vertical. It will be interesting to see which he chooses.
Definitely dink and dunk. It’s been Haskins MO all year. His shots down field are calculated and fairly rare. If NW comes out in cover 4, expect short to mid zone beaters all night. Unlike an Oklahoma, OSU is perfectly content going on 7-10 play drives. In the first half against Michigan, OSU had scoring drives of 6, 9, 8, and 7 plays. The only true big play was a 78 yard jet sweep. The issue against Purdue was the red zone offense. If NW can hold OSU to field goals, this will be an interesting game. If OSU can score TDs in the red zone, it could get out of hand. That will be where this game is decided.

Definitely dink and dunk. It’s been Haskins MO all year. His shots down field are calculated and fairly rare. If NW comes out in cover 4, expect short to mid zone beaters all night. Unlike an Oklahoma, OSU is perfectly content going on 7-10 play drives. In the first half against Michigan, OSU had scoring drives of 6, 9, 8, and 7 plays. The only true big play was a 78 yard jet sweep. The issue against Purdue was the red zone offense. If NW can hold OSU to field goals, this will be an interesting game. If OSU can score TDs in the red zone, it could get out of hand. That will be where this game is decided.

That probably makes it OSU 35- NU 24 to 28 and a trip for the Bucks to the Rose Bowl. We’ll see if that is what Urban chooses.

That probably makes it OSU 35- NU 24 to 28 and a trip for the Bucks to the Rose Bowl. We’ll see if that is what Urban chooses.
It’s the same offense they’ve ran all year to to tune of 45+ points per game on average. OSU doesn’t need huge plays and deep balls to score quickly and efficiently.

It’s the same offense they’ve ran all year to to tune of 45+ points per game on average. OSU doesn’t need huge plays and deep balls to score quickly and efficiently.

27 against PSU, 26 against MSU. Cats are, on defense, on a par with those two. See you in Pasadena I guess. Or maybe Orlando.

Last edited:
Like in boxing where a knock out is best to come through the natural flow of the fight, so it is when blowing out an opponent in football. Also like in boxing when trying to force a knockout, trying to force a blowout leads to breakdowns in fundamentals which often leads to poor play and an upset.

Like in boxing where a knock out is best to come through the natural flow of the fight, so it is when blowing out an opponent in football. Also like in boxing when trying to force a knockout, trying to force a blowout leads to breakdowns in fundamentals which often leads to poor play and an upset.

We’ll see if that’s how they play it. Bucks fans are now 2-0 for conservative game plan with let the chips fall where they may. I do think that is how Urban will play it. My guess is that he and his staff will view the Cats as a peer of Michigan State or Iowa and not of Indiana or Rutgers.

Last edited:

...which was basically the point of the OP.

27 against PSU, 26 against MSU. Cats are, on defense, on a par with those two. See you in Pasadena I guess. Or maybe Orlando.
Michigan is #1, MSU 13, PSU 35th, NW 48th. Both of those games were on the road. One a White out and Haskins first road start. The other also had high winds. Neither of those will be a factor tomorrow. And no. NW is not on par with either of those either.

On the other hand, I’m also realistic. Pasadena sounds great given what’s waiting for the 4 seed lol

...which was basically the point of the OP.
I took the point as either urban settles for high 20s, low 30s and a sure win or tries to force 50+. I take @klemman’s point to be that you can still score a lot of points and end up with a blowout even if you aren’t playing for a blowout each possession.

I took the point as either urban settles for high 20s, low 30s and a sure win or tries to force 50+. I take @klemman’s point to be that you can still score a lot of points and end up with a blowout even if you aren’t playing for a blowout each possession.

...which is, again, essentially restating the OP’s point with different phrasing.

Michigan is #1, MSU 13, PSU 35th, NW 48th. Both of those games were on the road. One a White out and Haskins first road start. The other also had high winds. Neither of those will be a factor tomorrow. And no. NW is not on par with either of those either.

On the other hand, I’m also realistic. Pasadena sounds great given what’s waiting for the 4 seed lol
Yes, the 4 seed will lose in the playoff by 30.

Columbus Sports Radio 97.1 has a prediction of 60 - 17 OSU tomorrow. The question they have is making sure NU does not score more than 20 since they believe they need the 40 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT