ADVERTISEMENT

Utter disrespect!

Dumb take. NU has proven it is a better team than IU. Twice. Those are not fluke wins.
And Michigan has proven it is better than NU. Twice. Those are not fluke wins. They are by almost 20 points more combined. But no one is claiming Michigan is a better team because that's not the only thing that goes into it.

And Michigan has proven it is better than NU. Twice. Those are not fluke wins. They are by almost 20 points more combined. But no one is claiming Michigan is a better team because that's not the only thing that goes into it.
Michigan doesn’t have a conference or overall record that is also equal to or better than NU’s. No one’s saying that no other considerations are present, but we have the 5th-most quad 1 wins in the country, the most road wins in the Big Ten, and the H2H wins while standing alone for the moment in second place in an elite conference.

I hope we we win today for so many reasons, but not the least of which being that I would like to see how little credit we’ll get after we pull it off.

So you're saying IU is better than NU? You can't just use a blanket statement broadly across all cases. Use your brain a little.

Reactions: drewjin
Again you can play semantics all you want.

We beat you twice.. by how much is irrelevant.

We have a better record.

If the ranking system was worth a damn we should be higher.
I'm a NU grad, PWCN. I'm just one who understands how this stuff works.

Michigan doesn’t have a conference or overall record that is also equal to or better than NU’s. No one’s saying that no other considerations are present, but we have the 5th-most quad 1 wins in the country, the most road wins in the Big Ten, and the H2H wins while standing alone for the moment in second place in an elite conference.

I hope we we win today for so many reasons, but not the least of which being that I would like to see how little credit we’ll get after we pull it off.
And that's why NU is as high as a 6 seed in many projections. You could certainly make an argument for the Cats being higher than that, but I'm just trying to explain why Indiana is seeded higher currently. The good news is the Cats have time to make their case for a higher seed.

I have to confess: For the basketball team, I’m a bandwagon guy. I go to one or two games a year.

I was terrible at the game, terrible. I have a meager understanding of it. So I have an ignorant question. Shouldn’t early games be down
I do not feel like I should have to explain to a bunch of sports fans how occasionally better teams lose games to worse teams.
which did not happen in this case.

Reactions: rmndcat
I’m not sure why you are still arguing when subsequent events have shown that the folks you are lecturing were correct. Geez.
Indiana just beta Illinois, they definitely haven’t looked liked a non top 15-20 team lately.

Thanks for making my point for me. Who you beat/lose to does matter. While NU beat awful Georgetown and DePaul, Indiana lost to Top 10 Kansas and Arizona. They play NU's schedule and they likely have a better record.

They have most of the same good wins as NU (Purdue, MSU, Ohio State, Illinois, and Wisconsin) plus Rutgers, Michigan, and Xavier. The two wins over Indiana are more important if evaluating just the two teams, but they are by a total of three points. Michigan has beaten NU twice (and the games ultimately weren't particularly close), but I don't think anybody believes they should be ranked ahead of NU.

The committee is tasked with evaluating every team and their entire body of work. I suspect NU's weak non-con gave a still-gelling team much-needed confidence and that may ultimately have led to its B1G success, but the team didn't distinguish itself with its non-con play.
In fairness the 1 point win at Indiana was only 1 because they hit a miracle meaningless 3 at the buzzer. That doesn’t happen and semantics look much better.

As a fan of another once downtrodden team (Rutgers), I have to congratulate your team on a tremendous win tonight in dismantling Iowa. What Coach Collins has done this year is nothing short of remarkable. Having lost two top players to the transfer portal, somehow he was able to transform this team into a dominant force in the Big Ten. Tonight they looked like the best team in the league. Good luck the rest of the season, except when you come to New Jersey in March. Collins deserves to be coach of the year, and the Wildcats deserve to be in the top 16.

It can't hurt IU that their former team captain, Chris Reynolds, is the chair of the selection committee. He also worked at NU before getting the AD job at Bradley for what that's worth.

• Wow
Thanks for making my point for me. Who you beat/lose to does matter. While NU beat awful Georgetown and DePaul, Indiana lost to Top 10 Kansas and Arizona. They play NU's schedule and they likely have a better record.

They have most of the same good wins as NU (Purdue, MSU, Ohio State, Illinois, and Wisconsin) plus Rutgers, Michigan, and Xavier. The two wins over Indiana are more important if evaluating just the two teams, but they are by a total of three points. Michigan has beaten NU twice (and the games ultimately weren't particularly close), but I don't think anybody believes they should be ranked ahead of NU.

The committee is tasked with evaluating every team and their entire body of work. I suspect NU's weak non-con gave a still-gelling team much-needed confidence and that may ultimately have led to its B1G success, but the team didn't distinguish itself with its non-con play.
You can only play the teams that are on your schedule. And the BIG has plenty of teams that are strong enough that the preseason should not have been an issue. Look at Houston ranked #2 and they have about as many big wins (wins against potential tourney teams) for the year as we have had in the last week

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
Not any dumber than some transitive idea that a team that lost to another team is always worse. Sometimes lesser teams upset better teams. This... isn't a new concept in sports.
We have beaten plenty of solid teams this year and we have done very well on the road. That should give us more than respect than we are getting

While it may be difficult to put us over IN, we should at least be rated a lot closer than we are.

Reactions: hoosboot
If the Cats had pulled off a win against Auburn, they'd be ranked.

If they had that win under their belt, could lose the rest of games and still end up with a decent seed.

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan

Second most road wins. Purdue has 6 and we have 5. THey have played two more on the road so far

If they had that win under their belt, could lose the rest of games and still end up with a decent seed.
Or the one against Rutgers

And that's why NU is as high as a 6 seed in many projections. You could certainly make an argument for the Cats being higher than that, but I'm just trying to explain why Indiana is seeded higher currently. The good news is the Cats have time to make their case for a higher seed.
08Lfq2D.gif

Reactions: DaCat

Or the game against Rutgers or Mich (either one) or take away the Pitt loss etc. Just saying losses (rather than wins) hurt

This late in the season early non conference games should mean zippo...where as where you are today is what really matters...some games teams play short handed on the road etc...blah blah blah....is what it is

Reactions: DaCat and hdhntr1
You can only play the teams that are on your schedule. And the BIG has plenty of teams that are strong enough that the preseason should not have been an issue. Look at Houston ranked #2 and they have about as many big wins (wins against potential tourney teams) for the year as we have had in the last week
Totally true. And you only get credit for the games that are on your schedule. Both teams are getting credit for that. NU consciously chose an easier out-of-conference schedule and everyone knew that it would be an issue if we got to this point. Just very few people thought that we'd get to this point.

I was surprised the Cats weren't ranked last week, but I've been under the impression that we've been talking about seeding for the tourney, which is a totally different thing and there will be a lot of variance between the two. The road games this week will really help the case for a 5 or maybe even a 4 seed. Dare to dream about a 3 if the Cats can win the B1G tourney?

This late in the season early non conference games should mean zippo...where as where you are today is what really matters...some games teams play short handed on the road etc...blah blah blah....is what it is
You're arguing what you'd like the case to be and not what the case actually is. The committee obviously takes into account those non-con games because they are the only way to evaluate the relative strength of leagues. The Cats are obviously a different team now as compared to then, but that's why the committee has often also weighed the last 10 games of the season more heavily as well.

You're arguing what you'd like the case to be and not what the case actually is. The committee obviously takes into account those non-con games because they are the only way to evaluate the relative strength of leagues. The Cats are obviously a different team now as compared to then, but that's why the committee has often also weighed the last 10 games of the season more heavily as well.
Except when the two teams you're comparing are in the SAME league and have played head-to-head twice, with the same result, and one has a better record in-conference and overall. Then it should be obvious who ought to be ranked higher. For the knuckleheads who then say, well Michigan beat us twice so they must be better than us... you're better than that. Sure inferior sports teams can beat better teams (Michigan did), but that's not the case for NU vs. Indiana.

Cats are 4-0 against other top 25 Kenpom teams( Illinois, Indiana twice and Purdue) so how in the world 🌎 are we ranked 46th in same poll?

Cats are now 42nd in the Kenpom rankings, having six wins over teams ranked higher than them. Liberty just behind the Cats at 46. Auburn at 21.

Luckily, they will have four more chances at a top 50 win against Penn St (50), Rutgers (27), Illinois (25), and Maryland (18).

Cats are now 42nd in the Kenpom rankings, having six wins over teams ranked higher than them. Liberty just behind the Cats at 46. Auburn at 21.

Luckily, they will have four more chances at a top 50 win against Penn St (50), Rutgers (27), Illinois (25), and Maryland (18).
Bart Torvik's model must use a different methodology than Kenpom. In T-Rank, NU is #35, ahead of Duke (36) and UNC (43) but just behind Liberty (34).

Reactions: Thomas_Hook
Reactions: DaCat

Would be nice if they'd beat Penn State for a change.

It can't hurt IU that their former team captain, Chris Reynolds, is the chair of the selection committee. He also worked at NU before getting the AD job at Bradley for what that's worth.

Lots of screen time for Reynolds throughout the Final Four. Really wish we would have made a run at him to be our A.D.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT