ADVERTISEMENT

VA Tech Signee on the Market

He received an offer from the Cats last summer. He's also visiting Buzz at A&M tomorrow, so I wouldn't exactly place my bets on the schools above.

Geez, NU has to somehow get off the shithole list of always being listed as an option with Minnesota (STILL can't believe they gave Pitino an extension!!), Nebraska, GW, Penn State, DePaul etc. I'm not saying they deserve to be on better lists. I'd just like to find a way to take that step

OTOH, Texas Tech and K-State were always in that group a few years ago also. Good for them for climbing out.

He received an offer from the Cats last summer. He's also visiting Buzz at A&M tomorrow, so I wouldn't exactly place my bets on the schools above.

Geez, NU has to somehow get off the shithole list of always being listed as an option with Minnesota (STILL can't believe they gave Pitino an extension!!), Nebraska, GW, Penn State, DePaul etc. I'm not saying they deserve to be on better lists. I'd just like to find a way to take that step

OTOH, Texas Tech and K-State were always in that group a few years ago also. Good for them for climbing out.

Yeah, seems likely he will simply follow Buzz, unfortunately. Too bad, NU could certainly use him.

Luckily we already have a pretty good 6-7 4 star wing in Miller Kopp and 6-10 Pete Nance ready to take a step up, with 6-9 Robbie Beran joining. Just need to land a solid lead guard and another big.

Luckily we already have a pretty good 6-7 4 star wing in Miller Kopp and 6-10 Pete Nance ready to take a step up, with 6-9 Robbie Beran joining. Just need to land a solid lead guard and another big.
Since there are four scholarships to give or are there five? Agree lead guard is a top priority, followed very closely by a big but could also add another guard and another big to the roster, maybe.

And you feel Pitino an extension? Hee has done well enough and not yet shown to be his father.

Kopp just started coming on at the end of the year.

Nance couldn’t post up Underwood’s son.

Beran has never played a college game.

Yes, lead guard should be the top priority, but that does not mean you ever think you are too good for talented players when they become available! This roster is by no means “full.”

Kopp just started coming on at the end of the year.

Nance couldn’t post up Underwood’s son.

Beran has never played a college game.

Yes, lead guard should be the top priority, but that does not mean you ever think you are too good for talented players when they become available! This roster is by no means “full.”

Wow, an actual basketball discussion!

You have valid concerns about our current wings but I still think they're going to be fine. Of course with the schollies we have we can take at least one more wing, but would rather see CC be more selective.

Wow, an actual basketball discussion!

You have valid concerns about our current wings but I still think they're going to be fine. Of course with the schollies we have we can take at least one more wing, but would rather see CC be more selective.

Guards - Greer, Buie
Tweener - Turner, Gaines
Wings - Kopp
Tweener - Beran
Four - Nance, Jones
Center - Young

Some nice distribution though no proven distributor. I would like to see another ball handling guard, true wing and true big. Then, a reliable scorer.

Guards - Greer, Buie
Tweener - Turner, Gaines
Wings - Kopp
Tweener - Beran
Four - Nance, Jones
Center - Young

Some nice distribution though no proven distributor. I would like to see another ball handling guard, true wing and true big. Then, a reliable scorer.

FWIW, Collins thinks of wings as interchangeable pieces. Obviously matchups are important and certain roles like a "stretch four" may be different from a traditional "2", but in general he doesn't really seem to distinguish his wings. So with that in mind, here's what our current roster looks like:

Lead Guard - Greer, Buie
Wings - Gaines (6-4), Turner (6-7), Kopp (6-7), Beran (6-9), Nance (6-10)
Big - Young (6-10), Jones (6-10)

Don't know how Gultekin stacks up vs. some transfers at wing, but if he's a middle-of-the-road recruit, I would prefer to see a grad transfer instead and recruit a higher level prospect in the next class. Who knows, he could be a star, but that's up to Collins and staff to decide.

FWIW, Collins thinks of wings as interchangeable pieces. Obviously matchups are important and certain roles like a "stretch four" may be different from a traditional "2", but in general he doesn't really seem to distinguish his wings. So with that in mind, here's what our current roster looks like:

Lead Guard - Greer, Buie
Wings - Gaines (6-4), Turner (6-7), Kopp (6-7), Beran (6-9), Nance (6-10)
Big - Young (6-10), Jones (6-10)

Don't know how Gultekin stacks up vs. some transfers at wing, but if he's a middle-of-the-road recruit, I would prefer to see a grad transfer instead and recruit a higher level prospect in the next class. Who knows, he could be a star, but that's up to Collins and staff to decide.

I would not call him “middle of the road” by any stretch. Certainly comparable to Kopp, for instance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT