ADVERTISEMENT

Washington Post story

All that said, I like playing now the role of Pollyanna (as I do now) much more. It's Mich more enjoyable and I like Collins personality so much more which makes me root even harder for him. It does kind of make me feel bad for the people who're still unable to let go of the fact Carmody was fired, because I know the thought of another coach leading them to the tourney is painful, and some (which has become obvious) can't even bring themselves to root for the team.

I'll skip over the personality critique because reasonable people can disagree (IMO), and over the recruiting critique because that's been covered in spades.

I will say I didn't love the last year of the BC tenure. We all knew what was going to happen the second the injuries came. Then it was confirmed in January when JP made his "expectations are still the same" statement. I can't bring myself to feel bad for either party, though, because it's a business and if you're not succeeding, you have to figure out why and try change. Whether the stuff about JP not fully supporting BC is true can only truly be known by very few people involved. As always, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle on that.

I will completely agree with the quoted section above. Those people don't post here anymore, but they exist. I honestly used to think that the notion of being so upset about a head coach or AD so that you don't root for your team was bunk...but over the course of this season, having seen it first hand, I agree that it's there and it's sad. Quite often my social media feeds during a game or right after are absolutely unbearable streams of negativity well beyond what's justified.

Reactions: willycat
Carmody was not a good recruiter.

However, I have to wonder where on a low 3-star prospect with 6 total offers, only 2 of which were from P5 schools, does one find the "Future National Player of the Year" tag? Is it clipped to the ear? Or maybe it's printed on the heel?

I guess that's maybe the difference between Bo and Bill? Besides, we had tons of 7 footers on our roster, so why should we bother recruiting a kid whose family had huge ties to the school? After all, his high school team sucked. Nobody's saying that predicting Kaminsky as player of the year was a given -- but my God he was 6'11" tall and played with one of your other recruits...

I guess that's maybe the difference between Bo and Bill? Besides, we had tons of 7 footers on our roster, so why should we bother recruiting a kid whose family had huge ties to the school? After all, his high school team sucked. Nobody's saying that predicting Kaminsky as player of the year was a given -- but my God he was 6'11" tall and played with one of your other recruits...
Then why bring up that he was player of the year? We did recruit him and should have recruited him harder. We were one of his only P5 offers. In the end, we didn't recruit him well enough. But hindsight is 20/20.

In 2011 he was a decently skilled, very tall, high school basketball player with very few offers who happened to have a connection to NU. Bo took him and shaped into something special.

As was pointed out before, we have no idea what the other side of that story is, nor will we.

As was pointed out before, we have no idea what the other side of that story is, nor will we.

I'm not sure there IS another side of that story. When you look at the bigs we currently had at the time, there was no reason not to go after him hardcore. Nobody was saying at the time "No worries, we've already got Peljusic."

I'm not sure there IS another side of that story. When you look at the bigs we currently had at the time, there was no reason not to go after him hardcore. Nobody was saying at the time "No worries, we've already got Peljusic."
Because he wasn't on the team--that was Mirkovic's senior year and then Olah came in.

Look, I'm not saying that the situation worked out well or was for the best or anything like that. What I'm saying is that Kaminsky was in no way a "can't miss" prospect, and he took two years to develop into a decent college player and then exploded in his senior season. Obviously he was well developed and something clicked, but he wasn't a high school stud.

Edit: Also this is the kind of stuff people get pricklish about from you. Of course there's another side to the story. You're quick to point out when people don't have "evidence" of something they are claiming, but then also quick to make statements like this. You have no idea what happened. Leave it at that.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I don't think this has been posted here. The general theme about us never making the tourney is something we've seen many times, but there's some interesting quotes in here. Carmody saying he has never talked about his time at NU and doesn't want to and Crawford admitting he was originally planning on spending his 5th year at another school stick out:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...07d2b2-d0e0-11e5-b2bc-988409ee911b_story.html

Thanks for the link, Secho. Totally missed this article. Some interesting tidbits to chew on.

Thank you Idaho for the well reasoned/balanced commentary. Appreciate it.

Edit: Also this is the kind of stuff people get pricklish about from you. Of course there's another side to the story. You're quick to point out when people don't have "evidence" of something they are claiming, but then also quick to make statements like this. You have no idea what happened. Leave it at that.

When you add the FK and Law stories together, both expressed by the players' own parents, that's a strong indication there were some serious issues going on. Not sure how that can be denied.

Oh no another warning from you know who. If the board becomes controlled by "burning the books types" then participation will lessen even more, to bad.

That could explain why there are only 20 people who constantly post. There's just no room for real debate before certain types start with the personal attacks and accusations.

Smolmania, I don't post on here often because we have a lot of guys who are good fans but honestly make statements which are incorrect. I have one for the 2010/2011 Benet Academy team. Benet did not come remotely close to sucking. They were 29-1 for the season and ranked number one in the AP poll nearly all year long. They won the Proviso West Holiday Tournament and beat Simeon in a big game at home late in the season in Lisle. They lost in the East Aurora Sectional in a huge upset to East Aurora. Any team that wins Proviso West Tournament and beats Simeon and is rated number one in the AP poll is pretty good in my opinion.

That team had two great high school players Frank Kaminsky and Dave Sobolewski. Dave was the higher rated high school player but the lesser college prospect of the two. Dave came here and Frank went to Wisconsin and the rest is history. One thing we must remember is coaches recruit players who they think will fit into there system. Dave fit in Carmody's system and Frank likewise at Wisconsin. Would Frank have been the player of the year if he went to MSU or Iowa. I doubt it.

Smolmania, I looked at your post again and you were obviously being facetious about that Benet team. Well now we know they were very good.

Oh no another warning from you know who. If the board becomes controlled by "burning the books types" then participation will lessen even more, to bad.

I was opining on the possible resurfacing of a debate that nearly ruined this board. Do you really want Virginia and Purp to continue the dialogue that caused people to exit this board in droves a few years ago? If you do, I believe you are in the vast minority.

Listen I know you don't like me as a poster, so why not just use the ignore button?

I was opining on the possible resurfacing of a debate that nearly ruined this board. Do you really want Virginia and Purp to continue the dialogue that caused people to exit this board in droves a few years ago? If you do, I believe you are in the vast minority.

mike, the few that left were the Carmody guys who wanted no part of a new coach (NIHCat, Mystic, etc). The rest are pretty much still around. And don't pretend you haven't had your giant spats around here either (especially on the football board). You've definitely had your moments.

As for mine...well, look at them, Purp and Doc...there's a reason everyone hated them and they're not around anymore. They both have serious issues (Doc still makes fun of you on Twitter) and I highly doubt Purp's new handle YesterdaysCat will last all that long ether. Is he a man this time, still a woman, a small girl? Who knows...

And as I said before...I think the people should be able to handle a *single* thread discussing Carmody. The amount of sensitivity and defensiveness regarding a coach that never even got is to the tournament is ridiculous. And yet, some of these people will throw Phillips under the bus with very colorful language. And you wonder why there are still issues...

Last edited:
You don't think it's odd that Collins gets a bigger recruiting budget, a brand-new scoreboard, and a bigger travel budget? To me, it shows that Phillips didn't go the extra mile for Carmody and wanted to hold back those goodies for a splashy hire.

Part of the job is to successfully obtain the resources you need to be successful. Whether that be recruits, budgets, scoreboards, or what not. To me it shows me that Carmody wanted to focus on X's and O's (and really just the O's) and had no interest in any other facet of the job. He sucked at those parts of the job because he simply didn't even try.

Last edited:

Listen I know you don't like me as a poster, so why not just use the ignore button?

Droves is a stretch. As far as I'm concerned, the very few people who left the board made the boards better with their departure. My only regret is that they forgot to take one of their Carmody hugging Princeton alum friends with them.

He wasn't left to "twist in the wind". We were coming off a really poor season and things didn't look all that better the next year. We made a change...it happens in basketball ALL THE TIME! He's not some poor unfortunate victim here...

Did BC sleep with your wife or molest your children ?

BC was a brilliant BB coach but a poor recruiter. Do you think CC could have out performed BC with the same talent ? CC is bringing in better talent, now it is up to him to achieve more than BC.

I have no problem with the CC hire but am tired of the BC bashing. If there was a coach's convention and BC was speaking in one room and CC was speaking in another, which room do you think would be full

BC improved NU with both offensive and defensive gimmicks , dealing with severe talent deficiencies. CC is trying to win playing conventional BB with better talent. . I feel like we have a better chance to win now but appreciate BC's efforts because I recognize how undermanned NU was during his tenure

I have no problem with the CC hire but am tired of the BC bashing.

Like I said earlier, if someone can't handle the rare thread on Carmody without their feathers getting all ruffled, that reflects more on them than anything...o_O

Should we make a rule: no threads about Carmody? Lol

BC was a brilliant BB coach but a poor recruiter. Do you think CC could have out performed BC with the same talent ? CC is bringing in better talent, now it is up to him to achieve more than BC.

I have no problem with the CC hire but am tired of the BC bashing. If there was a coach's convention and BC was speaking in one room and CC was speaking in another, which room do you think would be full

BC improved NU with both offensive and defensive gimmicks , dealing with severe talent deficiencies. CC is trying to win playing conventional BB with better talent. . I feel like we have a better chance to win now but appreciate BC's efforts because I recognize how undermanned NU was during his tenure
First BC was a good BB coach but brilliant is a stretch. Secondly, if I was choosing I would much rather listen to a upbeat Collins then a boring Carmody. Do you think the Carmody's teams were undermanned because of the recruits he brought in ? I do. I'm still waiting for Carmody to thank the fans who cheered at the games. and most importantly the kids who broke their butts for him. he had 13 well paid for seasons at NU at not even a thank you press release. Many coaches when fired make statements of thanks and good luck as they leave, Carmody has been silent.

First BC was a good BB coach but brilliant is a stretch. Secondly, if I was choosing I would much rather listen to a upbeat Collins then a boring Carmody. Do you think the Carmody's teams were undermanned because of the recruits he brought in ? I do. I'm still waiting for Carmody to thank the fans who cheered at the games. and most importantly the kids who broke their butts for him. he had 13 well paid for seasons at NU at not even a thank you press release. Many coaches when fired make statements of thanks and good luck as they leave, Carmody has been silent.

I've really tried to avoid commenting on much this thread, but thanks to this quote (and some delicious beverages) here goes.

Willy, you're wrong. Carmody is a hell a basketball coach, hands down. As a previous poster pointed out, Carmody demands more respect from his peers than Collins. End of story. Please do not confuse "basketball coach" with "face of the program". Also, please note that I did not say that CC shouldn't be the head man of NU hoops in 2016.

I'm quite excited about Collins and his upside (especially in recruiting), but let's be real. Who has brought in elite talent to Evanston during modern era of NU hoops (prior to Collins...which the jury is still out on)? O'Neil was lauded as an outstanding recruiter prior to his arrival and he gave us J'tim (who I was a big fan of). That was it. Byrdsong = Esch. No more. Foster brought in some players, but couldn't convince them to stay more than two years. Carmody/Hardy gave us Coble, Thompson, Shurna, Crawford, and Cobb (who when healthy was pretty darn good). Demps and Olah have turned out to be solid contributors. I'm not saying BC was a great recruiter, but he did guide NU to the post season on four separate occasions (should have been five and was a win away from a potential sixth), half of which were a victory or two short from an NCAA birth. Who else has done that? Remember, NU had notched a grand total of three NIT births prior to Carmody's arrival.

Willy, you keep saying "how the board police have drove away posters". I contend it's nonsense like this (and your ilk: read Turk, et all) this that make many of us not want to visit WR. The silliness you post in attempt to backhand Carmody on every other thread is tiresome. To the tiniest critique of Collins I see comments like, "well we should give him at least 12 years", or in this thread, "thank the kids that broke their butts for him". NEWSFLASH: not surprisingly, many of Carmody's former players actually like him (this comes from actual conversations with said athletes).

I've said it before and I'll say it again: many of us who appreciated Carmody's time at NU are fairly pleased with Collins' tenure and hope he will be able to bring the 'Cats to the promised land and soon. That being said, CC isn't flawless and some areas of his work should be subject to criticism. Shocking!

So my question is this: Why are you still obsessed with the headman of the previous administration that was let go nearly three years ago?

Seriously! Your war is over. Just because Collins hasn't accomplished anything tangible (in regards to wins or the postseason, yet), doesn't mean you need to slam the previous coach anymore than you have. This post says it all:

Medilll: What I like about this thread is that it's all fresh material. You'd never be able to guess the names of posters by their comments.

Willy: "Right, so what should we all discuss, why the students don't show or why the purple seats are half empty, or why many ST holders sell tickets to opposing fans. Are any of those things OK? BTW, we have discussed other past coaches hers, like O'Neil, Winters, Falk, Foster and it just so happens that Carmody is the most recent, thus most interesting for the moment. Now let's guess who CC will bring in when that next schlorship becomes available. Maybe a 5th year PG or C. Happy now?"

Ignoring the lack of coherence in the response, might I suggest the following relevant subject material:

A discussion/summation of NU's chances against their next opponent, Michigan (who looked pretty good against Maryland today). That seems appropriate, no? How about conversation on BIG tournament seeding? Perhaps another NIT thread with updated data?...Naw, let's just bash Carmody some more (because that's not a dead horse)!

Schadenfreude for all!

Last edited:
This “conversation” is tiresome to the extent that we fans have been taking sides and belittling people who may not agree with our assessments.

For fifteen years now, Northwestern has been routinely respected and praised by knowledgeable basketball people, and by most fans of competitor/comparator schools, for the quality of its basketball coaches. And for their apparent character, as much as we can tell by watching them operate from the outside. This is in no small part because the two coaches were understudies of legendary winning coaches, and in one case also the son of a coach who has an enviable record of achievement.

What in the world is wrong with that? (he asks rhetorically). For fifteen years, I’ve looked forward to cheering on our teams, and for fifteen years there’s no game that I’ve totally written off beforehand (despite often being the underdog) due to just knowing we’d be outcoached.

I’d just like to quietly suggest that while always wishing we’d be better in some respects, it’s more than okay to be grateful for the improved “product” we seen over most recent years. Not “satisfied", but nevertheless appreciative.

mike, the few that left were the Carmody guys who wanted no part of a new coach (NIHCat, Mystic, etc). The rest are pretty much still around. And don't pretend you haven't had your giant spats around here either (especially on the football board). You've definitely had your moments.

As for mine...well, look at them, Purp and Doc...there's a reason everyone hated them and they're not around anymore. They both have serious issues (Doc still makes fun of you on Twitter) and I highly doubt Purp's new handle YesterdaysCat will last all that long ether. Is he a man this time, still a woman, a small girl? Who knows...

And as I said before...I think the people should be able to handle a *single* thread discussing Carmody. The amount of sensitivity and defensiveness regarding a coach that never even got is to the tournament is ridiculous. And yet, some of these people will throw Phillips under the bus with very colorful language. And you wonder why there are still issues...

I enjoyed Purplicious, NIHCat, and DocCatsFan and am disappointed they no longer post. I even enjoyed all the tirades involving these guys. Same with Mr. Stupor/Simon BarSinister. If "undesirable" posters bother someone, don't read their posts or put them on ignore.

Reactions: NJCat83588
That being said, CC isn't flawless and some areas of his work should be subject to criticism. Shocking!

Absolutely. But then why do people like you get so angsty when Carmody receives criticism? You want it both ways. And please don't say it happens all the time. It doesn't. I think this is the first time I've even mentioned Carmody this season. But the usuals still came out in droves all upset about it. Like it or not, Carmody had his issues, and that's the reason we never got to point A. And he didn't go out of his way to promote NU either.

I've really tried to avoid commenting on much this thread, but thanks to this quote (and some delicious beverages) here goes.

Willy, you're wrong. Carmody is a hell a basketball coach, hands down. As a previous poster pointed out, Carmody demands more respect from his peers than Collins. End of story. Please do not confuse "basketball coach" with "face of the program". Also, please note that I did not say that CC shouldn't be the head man of NU hoops in 2016.

I'm quite excited about Collins and his upside (especially in recruiting), but let's be real. Who has brought in elite talent to Evanston during modern era of NU hoops (prior to Collins...which the jury is still out on)? O'Neil was lauded as an outstanding recruiter prior to his arrival and he gave us J'tim (who I was a big fan of). That was it. Byrdsong = Esch. No more. Foster brought in some players, but couldn't convince them to stay more than two years. Carmody/Hardy gave us Coble, Thompson, Shurna, Crawford, and Cobb (who when healthy was pretty darn good). Demps and Olah have turned out to be solid contributors. I'm not saying BC was a great recruiter, but he did guide NU to the post season on four separate occasions (should have been five and was a win away from a potential sixth), half of which were a victory or two short from an NCAA birth. Who else has done that? Remember, NU had notched a grand total of three NIT births prior to Carmody's arrival.

Willy, you keep saying "how the board police have drove away posters". I contend it's nonsense like this (and your ilk: read Turk, et all) this that make many of us not want to visit WR. The silliness you post in attempt to backhand Carmody on every other thread is tiresome. To the tiniest critique of Collins I see comments like, "well we should give him at least 12 years", or in this thread, "thank the kids that broke their butts for him". NEWSFLASH: not surprisingly, many of Carmody's former players actually like him (this comes from actual conversations with said athletes).

I've said it before and I'll say it again: many of us who appreciated Carmody's time at NU are fairly pleased with Collins' tenure and hope he will be able to bring the 'Cats to the promised land and soon. That being said, CC isn't flawless and some areas of his work should be subject to criticism. Shocking!

So my question is this: Why are you still obsessed with the headman of the previous administration that was let go nearly three years ago?

Seriously! Your war is over. Just because Collins hasn't accomplished anything tangible (in regards to wins or the postseason, yet), doesn't mean you need to slam the previous coach anymore than you have. This post says it all:

Medilll: What I like about this thread is that it's all fresh material. You'd never be able to guess the names of posters by their comments.

Willy: "Right, so what should we all discuss, why the students don't show or why the purple seats are half empty, or why many ST holders sell tickets to opposing fans. Are any of those things OK? BTW, we have discussed other past coaches hers, like O'Neil, Winters, Falk, Foster and it just so happens that Carmody is the most recent, thus most interesting for the moment. Now let's guess who CC will bring in when that next schlorship becomes available. Maybe a 5th year PG or C. Happy now?"

Ignoring the lack of coherence in the response, might I suggest the following relevant subject material:

A discussion/summation of NU's chances against their next opponent, Michigan (who looked pretty good against Maryland today). That seems appropriate, no? How about conversation on BIG tournament seeding? Perhaps another NIT thread with updated data?...Naw, let's just bash Carmody some more (because that's not a dead horse)!

Schadenfreude for all!

Columbus, I will take your lecture with a grain of salt and leave it there. As I said before, it's the board police, like you who will eventually drive a lot of people to stop posting and many already have. I didn't start this post and I will comment whenever I feel it's appropriate. Your could a, would a, should a crap regarding post season appearance is just that and if Carmody was such a great coach, why didn't other programs try to poach him during his long time at NU or after he was fired? have a nice day.

He was arguably a brilliant Offensive coach. He wasn't much of a coach when it came to defense or rebounding though.

I enjoyed Purplicious, NIHCat, and DocCatsFan and am disappointed they no longer post. I even enjoyed all the tirades involving these guys. Same with Mr. Stupor/Simon BarSinister. If "undesirable" posters bother someone, don't read their posts or put them on ignore.

I liked your post, but then unliked as a reread it and couldn't bring myself to agree with the first sentence, at least for one of the posters. As I understand, there was nothing about being driven off, but rather said person was booted by LouV and rightfully so. That said, your last sentence is worthy of a like.

Absolutely. But then why do people like you get so angsty when Carmody receives criticism?

I think everybody would agree that it's not the facts that you present but how you are presenting them (i.e., the tone of your words). For example, the article clearly says that the recruiting and travel budgets increased under Collins. When I mentioned it, you blasted back, "...do you have proof that the recruiting budget and travel budget have been exponentionally increased, or are you just BSing to make your boy Carmody a vicitim (sic)?"

Neither the article nor I said anything about "exponentional increase" and then you added a disguised profanity and called Carmody "my boy." Do you think that tone contributes to a constructive discussion?

I think everybody would agree that it's not the facts that you present but how you are presenting them (i.e., the tone of your words). For example, the article clearly says that the recruiting and travel budgets increased under Collins. When I mentioned it, you blasted back, "...do you have proof that the recruiting budget and travel budget have been exponentionally increased, or are you just BSing to make your boy Carmody a vicitim (sic)?"

Neither the article nor I said anything about "exponentional increase" and then you added a disguised profanity and called Carmody "my boy." Do you think that tone contributes to a constructive discussion?

You spouted off an unknown variable as if it was fact just to make Phillips look like he sabatoged Carmody. Indeed, I will fight that crap tooth and nail...

Willy, you're wrong. Carmody is a hell a basketball coach, hands down. As a previous poster pointed out, Carmody demands more respect from his peers than Collins.

Supposedly Carmody is "my boy" but I have to say this statement is not fair to Collins. Chris hasn't been a head coach long enough to make his mark. Also, I think Carmody owes a great deal to Carril. Carmody took over at Princeton coming off Carril's final year and a monumental NCAA tournament victory over defending champion UCLA. Carmody was set up to succeed at Princeton--and he did. He was successful here only within the context of NU basketball history.

I hope that Carmody is not remembered as a major figure in NU basketball 50 years from now. If that's the case, then we still haven't made the NCAAs or won anything of note. A great man, a terrific coach, entertaining teams, great players, but he didn't take us to the NCAAs. He didn't win any Big Ten titles.

You spouted off an unknown variable as if it was fact just to make Phillips look like he sabatoged Carmody. Indeed, I will fight that crap tooth and nail...

What unknown variable? The article says the budgets increased.

What exactly is your point? The budgets increased, according to the article. Do you think the article is untruthful?

I agree completely with your post. I do, however, think that we were undermanned because Coach Carmody did not like to recruit. His attitude was that NU sold itself, just like Princeton sold itself.

Some people are under the impression that our assistants did not recruit hard enough before Hardy arrived. That is not true. I think that Carmody just didn't want to close the deal sometimes. Why a coach would handicap his teams is beyond me.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
What unknown variable? The article says the budgets increased.

What exactly is your point? The budgets increased, according to the article. Do you think the article is untruthful?

The budget ALWAYS increases. Do you not think it ever increased during Carmody's tenure? What you inferred is that it increased exponentially for Phillips. There is no evidence of that.

I also remember you saying (when you were the lady Purplicious) that Phillips "stuck his finger in the pig's ass" when referring to NU not admitting Broja (spelling?). I know where you stand on Phillips and that you think he sabotaged Carmody. Not sure why you won't just admit that...

The budget ALWAYS increases. Do you not think it ever increased during Carmody's tenure? What you inferred is that it increased exponentially for Phillips. There is no evidence of that.

Depends upon what the exponent is.

I also remember you saying (when you were the lady Purplicious) that Phillips "stuck his finger in the pig's ass" when referring to NU not admitting Broja (spelling?). I know where you stand on Phillips and that you think he sabotaged Carmody. Not sure why you won't just admit that...

If you are going to quote someone, you should provide a URL or post. If you are going to accuse somebody of being somebody else, you should provide some evidence.

As far as sabotage, when Phillips said that the expectations for the team are the same even with the team's stars injured, I think it's very obvious that he was going to make a change at an opportune time.

I and other Wildcat fans personally witnessed Phillips and Carmody arguing after games on the court. They did not appear to get along, and if they did actually get along, they gave a public impression in front of us that they did not.

When you consider that they did not seem to get along publicly and that Phillips gave Carmody unrealistic expectations given the injury spate, it's highly suggestive that Phillips wanted another coach. Now, you have a nationally known writer who cites increased recruiting and travel budgets coming after Carmody is fired. Then we all know the party line about arena upgrades during Carmody's tenure ("not possible") shifted dramatically under Collins ("possible" and done!).

Perhaps Phillips did not consciously sabotage Carmody, but Phillips wanted another coach and his preference seemed to color his actions and behavior. That's the gentlest way to put it and all of this is evidence based rather than vociferous defense of anybody without regard to the facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT