ADVERTISEMENT

Well, as usual I've now convinced myself we can win Saturday....

Grafcat

May 27, 2006
Seemed like an impossible task at first and Stanford is pretty darned good.

Anyone else now foolishly convinced this will be a close and perhaps even winnable game? Thorson a "Cal surprise", 9 am start time, hot day, team circling this game yada yada yada

I do this to myself every time we are big underdogs.....

I guess that's why they call us fans.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

Anyone else now foolishly convinced this will be a close and perhaps even winnable game? Thorson a "Cal surprise", 9 am start time, hot day, team circling this game yada yada yada

Yep - me too. Ever year I say I am not getting wrapped up in the pre-season optimism, but it happens over and over again.

I agree... which means once again I'll likely be screaming at the tv and setting a horrible example for my kids when things don't go our way.

Hey, I think this is a likely loss as it's pretty tough to overcome a freshman QB starting against a top 25 team, but why not be optimistic? It's more fun that way. I'm coming in for the game and going in with excitement just to see our team on the field again this year. I truly don't expect a win, but admit I would be disappointed with a poor showing that results in a blowout. I'm trying to have reasonable expectations, but have no problem with anyone who has a little over the top optimism.

Graf, last year I told Gladeskat that we would definitely lose to Wisconsin and Notre Dame, probably lose to Penn State, but definitely beat Cal and northern Illinois and Illinois. Our best hope for Saturday is that I think we will probably lose. See you in Durham

Reactions: kreggk
I had a feeling last year before the Penn State game. I've got the same feeling. We're better than we think. Go Cats. 46 more hours.

Bah Humbug. I've learned through the years to expect defeat and be pleasantly surprised if things turn out differently.

I disagree with Forrest Gump, Life is NOT like a box of chocolates- It is like a box of chocolate laxatives-You always know what you're gonna get....

Bah Humbug. I've learned through the years to expect defeat and be pleasantly surprised if things turn out differently.

I disagree with Forrest Gump, Life is NOT like a box of chocolates- It is like a box of chocolate laxatives-You always know what you're gonna get....

I act this way publicly but inside always think my team has a chance to win. I'm guessing that if I was fortunate enough not to be a sports fan I would probably have a life expectancy of 5-10 years longer than I do being a sports fan.

I had a feeling last year before the Penn State game. I've got the same feeling. We're better than we think. Go Cats. 46 more hours.
I agree Smelly, that we are better than people think. Good enough to beat a top 25 team on day one? We will see.

I would throw in my optimistic thoughts:

1. The overall health of the team compared to the last two years at this time.
2. Two recent Heisman winners were both redshirt freshmen quarterbacks.
3. The recent spate of articles giving us an outside chance.
4. I can't help myself. I'm a Cats fan.

I agree... which means once again I'll likely be screaming at the tv and setting a horrible example for my kids when things don't go our way.
I am worried about this as well. The game starts at 4:00 AM local time and I live in a quadriplex with a shared wall with my neighbor. When my youngest son was about 3, he came in when I was watching the Cats on television. He tapped me on the shoulder and said "Dad, there's no reason to yell. They can't hear you."

Part of me wants to share this experience with my children. It's one of my favorite things in the whole world.

The other part of me wants them to leave me alone and let me watch in peace.

This Saturday: my wife and father-in-law are taking my kids to the air show. I think it's the right decision.

I act this way publicly but inside always think my team has a chance to win. I'm guessing that if I was fortunate enough not to be a sports fan I would probably have a life expectancy of 5-10 years longer than I do being a sports fan.

Maybe, but then how much fun would those years be?

Add to those reasons the fact that, if my memory is correct, Pat Fitzgerald has only lost one opening season game in his tenure as head coach - and that was last year when all the game planning had a wrench thrown into it at the last minute with an injury and transfer of key players. I really think our coaches and players are up for this one.

(And as we saw with #2 nearly going down last night to Minnesota, the preseason rankings are tenuous at best.)

Last edited:
The coaches had a great game plan, the players executed, and we caught a few lucky breaks today. But holding Stanford to 2 field goals was no accident. This defense is good!

Reactions: Ubermorgen
I am worried about this as well. The game starts at 4:00 AM local time and I live in a quadriplex with a shared wall with my neighbor. When my youngest son was about 3, he came in when I was watching the Cats on television. He tapped me on the shoulder and said "Dad, there's no reason to yell. They can't hear you."
The neighbor did not complain about my yelling. On one pass interference call against us, he probably should have.

My wife says that to me all the time. I really hate when she says that! :)

Add to those reasons the fact that, if my memory is correct, Pat Fitzgerald has only lost one opening season game in his tenure as head coach - and that was last year when all the game planning had a wrench thrown into it at the last minute with an injury and transfer of key players. I really think our coaches and players are up for this one.

(And as we saw with #2 nearly going down last night to Minnesota, the preseason rankings are tenuous at best.)

How's it feel? I still haven't gotten over the Hail Mary against us. Poetic.

I was glad to see my memory proved correct as the ESPN graphic confirmed Coach Fitzgerald has only lost one season opener. The ESPN broadcast stat that was even more impressive though was that Northwestern had won 4 out of its last 5 games against ranked opponents.

:). And so much fun to share it with my son who kept saying "I really think we can win" as early as the Thorson TD

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT