ADVERTISEMENT

#WeWantToPlay Petition

BleedingPurple15

Oct 3, 2017
New York, NY
Recognizing that this is a day late but putting here in case any of you want to sign this.

Recognizing that this is a day late but putting here in case any of you want to sign this.

Not if you care about the health of 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old young football players.

Not if you care about the health of 18, 19, 20 and 21 year old young football players.

Absolutist statements like these are a problem. Are you absolutely sure that the environments that student athletes return to would be less susceptible to COVID transmission than an environment like that was created on campus for football players at Northwestern? I'm not sure. Asking college students to leave protocol and fend for themselves does not seem like a better approach than keeping them institutionalized protocols, whether they play games or not.

Relatedly, I also strongly believe that in circumstances such as these where the government cannot protect individuals, increased governance has a tendency to further denigrate constitutionally guaranteed principles of individual liberties to a far greater extent than any enhanced safety that such governance can provide. The Big Ten cancelling the season likewise has denigrated the right of student athletes - the vast majority of whom (if not all?) are legal adults - to make choices relevant to their own well-being.

By rushing to cancel the season, the Big Ten has taken away the safety net of enhanced testing, rigorously enforced cleaning and sickness testing protocols, and the mental health boosting structure that organized athletics provides. Perhaps hindsight will prove that this was the correct decision, but statements suggesting that a person does not care about the health of players if they advocate for the reinstatement of football are short-sighted.

Absolutist statements like these are a problem. Are you absolutely sure that the environments that student athletes return to would be less susceptible to COVID transmission than an environment like that was created on campus for football players at Northwestern? I'm not sure. Asking college students to leave protocol and fend for themselves does not seem like a better approach than keeping them institutionalized protocols, whether they play games or not.

Relatedly, I also strongly believe that in circumstances such as these where the government cannot protect individuals, increased governance has a tendency to further denigrate constitutionally guaranteed principles of individual liberties to a far greater extent than any enhanced safety that such governance can provide. The Big Ten cancelling the season likewise has denigrated the right of student athletes - the vast majority of whom (if not all?) are legal adults - to make choices relevant to their own well-being.

By rushing to cancel the season, the Big Ten has taken away the safety net of enhanced testing, rigorously enforced cleaning and sickness testing protocols, and the mental health boosting structure that organized athletics provides. Perhaps hindsight will prove that this was the correct decision, but statements suggesting that a person does not care about the health of players if they advocate for the reinstatement of football are short-sighted.
I would give 10 likes for this if I could.

• Love
Reactions: nugnrfan82
UNC just reversed course and pivoted back to full remote learning. Guessing that might affect their football plans.

Hindsight being what it is, it seems obvious that the presidents and ADs made decisions without conferring with players and their families, even at a cursory level. Even if this decision turns out to be the "right" decision (which I believe it will be), the optics of not broadening the conversation to include more stakeholders was probably a misstep...and now we are seeing the results - parents and players are now essentially lobbying to overturn a decision that, if overturned would make a mockery of the whole process and of the new commissioner. Either way, it leaves a lot of scar tissue.

Reactions: ricko654321
Hindsight being what it is, it seems obvious that the presidents and ADs made decisions without conferring with players and their families, even at a cursory level. Even if this decision turns out to be the "right" decision (which I believe it will be), the optics of not broadening the conversation to include more stakeholders was probably a misstep...and now we are seeing the results - parents and players are now essentially lobbying to overturn a decision that, if overturned would make a mockery of the whole process and of the new commissioner. Either way, it leaves a lot of scar tissue.
I really think you are mistaken if you don't think conversations were held higher ups and parents and their kids. You are right about it being the "right" decision however.

Our current predicament confirms what if there is no football. It’s apparent to me that this is the perfect opportunity to focus on their studies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT