ADVERTISEMENT

What if Clemson and Washington lose?

No. Last year they made it clear the importance of conference champs. Now they are doing a 180. There are plenty of fans who agree with PSU fans. Wisconsin fans think their team should go if they win. The OP is a NW fan. You can find the same debate on just about EVERY team board. You are not too bright.

I told you what they said THIS year! Their mission is to take the 4 best teams, not the 4 best conference champs. If they change their mission statement, fine. I am sure Oklahoma and OSU have the same flimsy argument that they should get in being a conference champ. If you think PSU is a top 4 team you are delusional. Michigan is WAY better and won't make it ( unless Whisky, Wash, and Clemson all lose).

Go back to the Ped State board and cry with your brethren. The only positive here is Ped State will come here next year, rated high and Franklin will leave with another loss to lowly NU like he always does.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
If you don't think losing TWO of THREE down the stretch matters then you are not watching football.

Might as well not even have a playoff. Just let the committee pick the best team after week 8 and name them champ.

UM loses two out of three and the committee thinks they stay ahead of teams right behind them that won three out of three.

Your logic is flawed. You are ignoring the teams won't have the same number of wins. Do wins factor in your logic? The team that wins the conference will have MORE wins and a conference championship. I look at the #1 team in a conference ahead of the #3 team in the east division. You think the #3 team in the east is ahead of the #1 team in the whole conference.
So you are weighting the timing of when games happened to be scheduled more than the actual outcomes (blow out vs. decided on final play if the game) and head to head (michigan demolished PSU). Michigan always plays OSU the last week, so in your world they are always at risk for a late season loss against a top team. Unfortunately for Michigan, it's loss to iowa cost more than PSU's loss to Pitt - so you want to reward PSU for winning one more game even though they will have played one more game. Yes, I think both Michigan and OSU (the number 3 and 4 teams in the conference) are both above 'the number 1 team' (and 2 for that matter) and so do the pollsters.

Agree and then they will be calling for a 12 or 16 team playoff. wanting 18 year old kids to play additional 3 or 4 games on top of already possible 13 games is absurd. Next they will say that these players should be paid, oh wait, no they won't.
Agree completely, and one of the major reasons I opposed any playoff. It is a slippery slope. The NCAA tourney in basketball has largely ruined the sport - made the regular season a mere prelude to the tourney, conference championships irrelevant, and conference tournaments a grab bag second chance for late-blooming teams. Everything is focused on the tourney - not the season. Football could wind up in the same predicament. I preferred the tourney when only one team from each conference could go. Then the season really mattered.

Agree completely, and one of the major reasons I opposed any playoff. It is a slippery slope. The NCAA tourney in basketball has largely ruined the sport - made the regular season a mere prelude to the tourney, conference championships irrelevant, and conference tournaments a grab bag second chance for late-blooming teams. Everything is focused on the tourney - not the season. Football could wind up in the same predicament. I preferred the tourney when only one team from each conference could go. Then the season really mattered.
I would beg to differ about basketball. Keep in mind that the pool consists of 300+ teams. The tourney consists of the best ones in direct competition, but the 65 team field gives some room for surprises. While conference titles give automatic bids, there are still plenty of at large ones.

Reactions: Bwm57
Regarding Ok State...interesting that you bring them up, since most people would agree they lost due to referee error (google a story on the game if you didn't see it/don't recall). Baylor is bad now but I would argue they were playing very well at the time, which brings up the question of whether a loss is a loss or if it matters when the loss happened - last Saturday or in the first week of September.

As I mentioned in another reply, there's a lot of focus on the talk around the value of conference championships and head-to-head, but what I really want to know is if the committee is focused on choosing the four best teams RIGHT NOW, or if they are selecting based on "body of work" - very important distinction.
OK, I'd support OK State if they win this weekend. Off my radar so long.

https://theringer.com/the-playoff-committee-wants-to-ignore-oklahoma-state-79bb4322e104#.a8jtjdmeg

(Wasn't Rodger Sherman and NU student reporter?)

"Ok State should be treated as a one loss team by the committee" is an absolutely appropriate argument.

No. It was called the death penalty. Hardly a slap on the wrist.

Death penalty is when the football program gets shut down. Ped State was not shut down. And still glorifies Joe Paterno, who knowingly allowed Sandusky to commit his crimes for many years. It's not about being PC, it's about being disgusted by this institutional coverup.

They are not a power conference. Nice try. There are some D2 and D3 teams that should go to playoff with your logic. We could even have a playoff with ALL mid majors. Pretty stupid.
Zwicker, perhaps you should try to improve your reading comprehension before you start throwing around insults?
I was not suggesting WMU be in the playoffs.
If you read my post again you will see that I said "Using your system should WMU be in the final 4?
That was a question based upon your previous statement. I will help you, in my statement, "Your" was referring to you, Zwicker.

Reactions: Fitz51
No. Last year they made it clear the importance of conference champs. Now they are doing a 180. There are plenty of fans who agree with PSU fans. Wisconsin fans think their team should go if they win. The OP is a NW fan. You can find the same debate on just about EVERY team board. You are not too bright.
Dude just go away. Your methodology is clearly biased based on your team's interests. That's not a crime by any means, but I just scanned this thread briefly and it's eminently clear no one wants you here. LeftyLarry is cool, has been coming here regularly for a long time, and we respect his team. None is true for you, who just stopped by to push an unwanted agenda. There's no reason for you to spend time interloping on another team's board who has no interest in listening to your highly dubious logic. PSU's only chance is to beat Wisconsin by about 40 and then hope for chaos elsewhere. Otherwise, congrats on a nice season, good luck in your NY6 matchup, and we'll see you in Evanston next year.

Dude just go away. Your methodology is clearly biased based on your team's interests. That's not a crime by any means, but I just scanned this thread briefly and it's eminently clear no one wants you here. LeftyLarry is cool, has been coming here regularly for a long time, and we respect his team. None is true for you, who just stopped by to push an unwanted agenda. There's no reason for you to spend time interloping on another team's board who has no interest in listening to your highly dubious logic. PSU's only chance is to beat Wisconsin by about 40 and then hope for chaos elsewhere. Otherwise, congrats on a nice season, good luck in your NY6 matchup, and we'll see you in Evanston next year.

And on top of all that, he roots for a football program whose held-up-like-a-god-greatest-coach-ever helped cover up ongoing child molestation.

Hmm, maybe twisting methodologies around is the only way he can keep his mind off that sad fact. You should let him be, if that's the case!

Last edited:
If the playoff expands to 8 or 16 (!) teams, the season will be extended well into January. When will the players go to school, or doesn't that matter?

I favor an 8 team playoff with the P5 conference champions plus 2 next best teams and an at large bid to the best of the other conferences.

The first round games would follow Conference Championship week with the lesser seed playing at the higher seeds home field. You then continue with the current format. The losers of the first round would then be allowed to play in a bowl game. This increases the games played for 8 teams

This would force some southern teams to face the rigors of cold weather football on occasion

Last edited:
I favor an 8 team playoff with the P5 conference champions plus 2 next best teams and an at large bid to the best of the other conferences.

The first round games would follow Conference Championship week with the lesser seed playing at the higher seeds home field. You then continue with the current format. The losers of the first round would then be allowed to play in a bowl game. This increases the games played for 8 teams

This would force some southern teams to face the rigors of cold weather football on occasion
This is a wonderful schedule , and no more exploitative than the FCS playoffs for programs with better resources and fewer logistical challenges. (Football is the least disruptive sport, except in the MAC I guess, when games are Tuesdays or Wedneadays.)

I don't think you'd get first round losers wanting to play in bowl games, though I bet you'd get their coaches wanting the extra practice time ("great morning to work, men").

OK, I'd support OK State if they win this weekend. Off my radar so long.

https://theringer.com/the-playoff-committee-wants-to-ignore-oklahoma-state-79bb4322e104#.a8jtjdmeg

(Wasn't Rodger Sherman and NU student reporter?)

"Ok State should be treated as a one loss team by the committee" is an absolutely appropriate argument.

I think OK St is overrated by the committee. They have had an easy schedule, with their best wins to date being a win over WVU and an early season win over Pitt. They lost to a mediocre Baylor team and would have been in OT vs. CMU if the officials knew the weird end of game grounding rule.

If they beat OK, I will eat some crow, but I don't think this happens. Neither OU nor OK St merits serious playoff consideration, IMO. Good teams, but not quite playoff material when Bama, OSU, Clemson, UM, Wiscy, Washington and Coloardo are options.

And on top of all that, he roots for a football program whose held-up-like-a-god-greatest-coach-ever helped cover up ongoing child molestation.

Hmm, maybe twisting methodologies around is the only way he can keep his mind of that sad fact. You should let him be, if that's the case!
Penn State is despicable.

No. It was called the death penalty. Hardly a slap on the wrist.
Do you even know what the "death penalty" in college sports is? Only one school has received it, SMU and the entire football program was shut down for years. That's exactly what should have happened to Ped St.

Reactions: Fitz51
if Clemson loses to 19th ranked V-tech and Washington to 8th ranked Colorado (who Michigan beat straight up) any chance OSU, the UW/PSU winner and Michigan all go to the playoff. The only other candidates to me are Colorado (who Michigan beat) or Oklahoma (who OSU blew out). I don't see both Clemson and Washington losing (probably even either) but I wonder if they would take three from one conference.
Mich beating Colorado was at the beginning of the season while MIch has two recent losses. Have to think Colorado getsthe nod over Mich in that case, especially since they would not want to see 3 from same conference. Heck OU would be put a head of them.

I think Colorado is basically screwed right now being slotted behind UM, Wisc, and PSU. I guess they could jump to #4 by beating Washington, but it seems more likely that a CU victory only opens the door for UM to climb back in without playing a game, I am not sure this is just.

On the one hand, UM would hold the head to head advantage over CU, Wisc and PSU. On the other, I don't think their body of work would be as good as CU's , which would include four "good" wins over Stanford, WAZU, Utah and UW (all CFP ranked teams) and losses to two CFP teams. UM would own "good" wins over Wisc, PSU and CO, but also a bad loss to Iowa, which came late in the season.

It is a tough call if CU pulls it out. I hope they do. I want to see the committee squirm.

Of some potential relevance to Northwestern, Washington's 41 to 10 convincing win over Colorado may well elevate USC to the Rose Bowl leaving Colorado available to play us in the Foster Farms Bowl. Anyone have any idea if the twisted ankle injury to the Buffaloes' starting quarterback is likely to still keep him from playing in late December against the Wildcats?

As a fan wanting to watch more college football, I like this.
Three questions:
The champion teams would end up play a 16 game season, yes?
Does this impact parity, making the rich richer by giving them extra practice and exposure for recruiting?
Do injuries factor in a randomizing feature that would wreck the model? You just don't have the same frequency of injury in BB as you do in football (except at NU of course).

This is a wonderful schedule , and no more exploitative than the FCS playoffs for programs with better resources and fewer logistical challenges. (Football is the least disruptive sport, except in the MAC I guess, when games are Tuesdays or Wedneadays.)

I don't think you'd get first round losers wanting to play in bowl games, though I bet you'd get their coaches wanting the extra practice time ("great morning to work, men").

Why wouldn't they want to play in bowl games?

Why wouldn't they want to play in bowl games?
Have you ever watched an Olympics or World Cup third place game? An NIT game between teams disappointed to be there?

Consolation games are inevitably contested between two disappointed teams, though maybe the destination nature and the two weeks weeks off would dull that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT