ADVERTISEMENT

What the F is with the negativity?

scru

Sep 4, 2005
Coming off our best season ever, darlings of the dance, media exposure galore, and new facilities under construction, I don't get the negativity expressed on this board. I think some group counseling is in order for this board. Personally, I'm over the moon excited! I truly believed NU would never break thru, and am so very happy to have been proven wrong. Yet, here on the boards, it seems to keep coming back to:
  1. CCC is gonna leave us for another school, the NBA, or that coveted nighttime security guard job at the Chucky Cheese
  2. Our newly renovated arena is too small, not enough bathrooms, are the concourses wide enough for me to comfortably get my chili dogs? But then with the bathroom size, am I gonna sh** myself before I make it to a stall?
  3. NU Games are hard to get to. It's cold on the Howard station platform. Yes, I live in Chicago where I know it is ass cold throughout the winter, and I tolerate this every day, but for NU games, I should have a nice warm limo sponsored by the university to bring me there.

OMFG! Someone should do a psychological study on the NU BBall fan base. There must be a term for this.

Coming off our best season ever, darlings of the dance, media exposure galore, and new facilities under construction, I don't get the negativity expressed on this board. I think some group counseling is in order for this board. Personally, I'm over the moon excited! I truly believed NU would never break thru, and am so very happy to have been proven wrong. Yet, here on the boards, it seems to keep coming back to:
  1. CCC is gonna leave us for another school, the NBA, or that coveted nighttime security guard job at the Chucky Cheese
  2. Our newly renovated arena is too small, not enough bathrooms, are the concourses wide enough for me to comfortably get my chili dogs? But then with the bathroom size, am I gonna sh** myself before I make it to a stall?
  3. NU Games are hard to get to. It's cold on the Howard station platform. Yes, I live in Chicago where I know it is ass cold throughout the winter, and I tolerate this every day, but for NU games, I should have a nice warm limo sponsored by the university to bring me there.

OMFG! Someone should do a psychological study on the NU BBall fan base. There must be a term for this.
Sorry but the fan base will necessarily shrink because many will not be able to get into the re-done , small W-R.

Sorry but the fan base will necessarily shrink because many will not be able to get into the re-done , small W-R.

If we're winning, our fanbase will not shrink. Not every fan goes to the games. Lots of people watch on TV. I love that we're keeping the arena smaller. If we can continuously create an atmosphere like we did in the reg season finale again Purdue, we will be extremely difficult to beat at home...

I think you mean game attendance. Fan base can grow even if they don't attend games in person. From my experience in SLC, our fan base has already grown as there were so many SLC locals that were on our bandwagon with no ties whatsoever to NU. We are just an awesome feel good story that people like to associate themselves with. Chicago media personalities like Waddle, Silvy, Kaplan rooting for the Cats.

The upgraded arena will make for a much improved game day experience for those that do attend.

I think you're confusing "random musings from one or two notoriously negative semi-trolls" with "negativity."

Willy, since forever the pre con has never been sold out and conference games all have huge visitor attendance compared to other Big Ten arenas.

Dontcha think this is going to be a good thing before it's a bad thing?

Dontcha think more games will look full? Dontcha think this is an opportunity to push out a couple hundred of the visitors and make the NU fan contingent more dominant.

I was at the Purdue game when we shouted down the "boiler up" chants. That gets easier in this new arena.

Let's give the Athletic Dept (who I rarely compliment) and the architects the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: HawkCat

Hey, at least you figured it out! Everyone on the board complains about something. More often than not, it's other fans.

While we're at it, what the hell was Collins thinking when he said in reflection, "Some of our guys have to get stronger, more physical and more athletic"? Doesn't he understand how happy the fan base is?!?!

Thank goodness we're past the days when "just good enough" is celebrated. Reasonable critical thinking is now the norm on Central St. Give it a try.

And if you can't bypass the obviously unreasonable, I can't help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaWildcat

You need to chill a little bit too. The only point we were making on the weather and transportation is that even though Evanston is located next to Chicago, it's not that easy to get to Evanston, so a smaller arena may make sense. You stick the arena in the West Loop and maybe you add several thousand seats. It's a message board and the season is over, so folks are going to discuss topics like arena size, since renovations happen about every 30 years or so. I think almost everyone is really excited that we are going to have a modern arena that should be one of the loudest in the country.

I truly believed NU would never break thru...

Run this by me again one more time, please ...

You never ever believed we'd ever get to the NCAA's, yet we're all full of negativity?

Just curious about the thinking there... ;)

Northwestern games are ridiculously easy to get to. Try getting to and leaving a Saturday night Penn State football game sometime.

Reactions: ubercat
Northwestern games are ridiculously easy to get to. Try getting to and leaving a Saturday night Penn State football game sometime.

You speak the truth. Smithee and I spent two hours going two miles to get out of State College a few years ago. By comparison getting to (or leaving) Welsh Ryan is like being teleported.

You speak the truth. Smithee and I spent two hours going two miles to get out of State College a few years ago. By comparison getting to (or leaving) Welsh Ryan is like being teleported.
Shhhh...Turk's back....don't mention science.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewebb68
Willy, since forever the pre con has never been sold out and conference games all have huge visitor attendance compared to other Big Ten arenas.

Dontcha think this is going to be a good thing before it's a bad thing?

Dontcha think more games will look full? Dontcha think this is an opportunity to push out a couple hundred of the visitors and make the NU fan contingent more dominant.

I was at the Purdue game when we shouted down the "boiler up" chants. That gets easier in this new arena.

Let's give the Athletic Dept (who I rarely compliment) and the architects the benefit of the doubt.
Don't feel that because some pre-conf. games didn't sell out is a legitimate reason to drastically increase capacity. I would rather have 10,000 people in the stands, then worry about who they are cheering for. If NU has around 6,000 ST holders and 1,000 students they should be able to bring in a walk-up crowd of 2,000- 3,000 mostly NU fans. Also don't agree that the smaller arena will drastically cut back attendance of visiting people because lots of tickets seem to find there way into the hands of others through ticket brokers or greedy NU ST holders.

Willy, the fan base needn't necessarily shrink just because of the inability to get to the games . . . just ask Wrassler!!! o_O

Reactions: DaCat
Willy, the fan base needn't necessarily shrink just because of the inability to get to the games . . . just ask Wrassler!!! o_O
Nice response Rose Bowl and funny as well. Hope we get to go and watch them in Indianapolis this fall and in the Final 4 next BB season.

Not so hard if you know where to park at PSU-3 left hand turns and you are on the interstate

Not so hard if you know where to park at PSU-3 left hand turns and you are on the interstate
We survived. Our parking/tailgating spot was about 15 feet from the stadium. I hardly remembered the delayed egress; what I remembered was our utter collapse in that game, giving he who turned his back his 300th win.

Yes but, people who live in the real city of Chicago, don't even know where Evanston is because it is insignificant to them. Evanston may as well be Berwin as far as far as most of the 10,000,000 Chicago area people are concerned. NU does all this Chicago's B1G team but does a bad job of telling people how to get there. If they would just put directions on the EL trains awareness would go way up but they assume people know how easy it is.

Yes but, people who live in the real city of Chicago, don't even know where Evanston is because it is insignificant to them. Evanston may as well be Berwin as far as far as most of the 10,000,000 Chicago area people are concerned. NU does all this Chicago's B1G team but does a bad job of telling people how to get there. If they would just put directions on the EL trains awareness would go way up but they assume people know how easy it is.
Just wait until a large portion of the 10,000,000 people start trying to show up for games. That will be the last we hear of Chicago's B1G Team. It makes for a nice ad, but is badly conceived in terms of an actual idea.

Preach scru. Villanova has floundered playing in a 6500 seat stadium, and Duke has been lousy for decades playing in McGaw Hall East. And our players? They's be on the bench at NIU.

I don't get it either. Please negative people go do something nice for someone and take your sorry-ass negative bullshit somewhere else.

Preach scru. Villanova has floundered playing in a 6500 seat stadium, and Duke has been lousy for decades playing in McGaw Hall East. And our players? They's be on the bench at NIU.

I don't get it either. Please negative people go do something nice for someone and take your sorry-ass negative bullshit somewhere else.
I was just going to mention the 10,000 seat Palestra in Philly, the home of the Big 5 (no shabby league) and Penn.

The Palestra has been called "the most important building in the history of college basketball" and "changed the entire history of the sport for which it was built." Wikipedia

I think they looked at that building in the process of Welsh-Ryan renovation.

I was just going to mention the 10,000 seat Palestra in Philly, the home of the Big 5 (no shabby league) and Penn.

The Palestra has been called "the most important building in the history of college basketball" and "changed the entire history of the sport for which it was built." Wikipedia

It's actually smaller than that (same source):

"The arena originally seated about 10,000, but now seats 8,725 for basketball. The Palestra is famed for its close-to-the-court seating with the bleachers ending at the floor with no barrier to separate the fans from the game."

You mean the Palestra that originally had a capacity of 10,000 but was eventually reduced to 8,725? Though I guess that still is above the mythical "arena vs. gym" cutoff line.

You guys can go to a Bulls game any time you want to be in a five-figure-seating arena.

I'm actually going tomorrow night. Seats are about three city blocks from the court. I'll take Welsh-Ryan, thanks.

You guys can go to a Bulls game any time you want to be in a five-figure-seating arena.

I'm always surprised how little criticism the UC receives as a basketball arena. Thirty-to-forty percent of those seats (minimum) are crap.

Among my long list of issues is Jerry Reinsdorf. So take that into consideration with this comment.

Reinsdorf doesn't get nearly the criticism he deserves for the poor choices he's made with sports architecture and the culture that's developed around them. Everytime I hear about the west side "resurgence" that began with the UC, I want to pull out a calendar. We'really talking 20+ years at this point. Not exactly a stunningly fast turnaround.

Reactions: Fitz51
I'm always surprised how little criticism the UC receives as a basketball arena. Thirty-to-forty percent of those seats (minimum) are crap.

Among my long list of issues is Jerry Reinsdorf. So take that into consideration with this comment.

Reinsdorf doesn't get nearly the criticism he deserves for the poor choices he's made with sports architecture and the culture that's developed around them. Everytime I hear about the west side "resurgence" that began with the UC, I want to pull out a calendar. We'really talking 20+ years at this point. Not exactly a stunningly fast turnaround.
The arena in Salt Lake, while having 3,500 fewer seats than the UC, had incredible viewing angles even from the upper reaches of the corners compared to the UC, where the court looks as big as a smart phone screen. I'd much prefer having an arena like that over the UC.

The arena in Salt Lake, while having 3,500 fewer seats than the UC, had incredible viewing angles even from the upper reaches of the corners compared to the UC, where the court looks as big as a smart phone screen. I'd much prefer having an arena like that over the UC.
Me too, even rather then a semi new W-R.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT