ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to Turk anyways

EC,

It seems to me that there is a healthy amount of disagreement on this board. But after 12 games followed by postmortems about how bad the team and the coaching looked, what more is there to say? We all knew after ‘19, ‘21 and ‘22 that the program was in trouble. Yet some people kept relentlessly piling on, forgetting in the process Mike Royko’s rule about not speaking ill of the deceased at his wake.

Yes, no one died. But if someone just eviscerates the program, and has nothing positive to say, are they true fans?

Prior to Turk being deep sized he did nothing but rip the program.
So you also despise posts about ‘95, bowl victories, championship seasons…or just tolerate a minimal amount of dissent and then expect everyone back on the koolaid?

Your revisionist take has a lot to be desired. Turk is no martyr, he was just another attention whore whose constant trolling about the Flat Earth and Fake by the Lake got under the skin of many people. If you can't tell the difference when people just get fed up with bullshit posting, too bad. Predictably Turk was a Covid denier until he caught it and nearly died. Let's not confuse foolishness with courage. Your cingulomania for knuckleheads is ... strange.
Attention whore v regular poster. Turk v wrassler - one is still here. Corbi v me? One gets regular timeouts, other has rules don’t apply pass. How about CSC v PWB?

Troll, attention whore, bully, fascist - so much subjective and no strictly followed rules. Damn shame. RIP Mike Webb.

Attention whore v regular poster. Turk v wrassler - one is still here. Corbi v me? One gets regular timeouts, other has rules don’t apply pass. How about CSC v PWB?

Troll, attention whore, bully, fascist - so much subjective and no strictly followed rules. Damn shame. RIP Mike Webb.
I'm a little curious how you think Mike Webb fits into it. Didn't he storm off voluntarily?

So you also despise posts about ‘95, bowl victories, championship seasons…or just tolerate a minimal amount of dissent and then expect everyone back on the koolaid?
What are you referring to?

EC,

It seems to me that there is a healthy amount of disagreement on this board. But after 12 games followed by postmortems about how bad the team and the coaching looked, what more is there to say? We all knew after ‘19, ‘21 and ‘22 that the program was in trouble. Yet some people kept relentlessly piling on, forgetting in the process Mike Royko’s rule about not speaking ill of the deceased at his wake.

What are you referring to?
Does this help? If you don’t want the critical, then do you also want to put the glory to bed too?

Kinda like certain posts that only attack repetitive posts when they disagree. They are silent to the ones they like. So many examples but I think this has added context.

Bob, I still don’t understand where you’re coming from on this. It’s almost late, are you sleep writing?

I wasn’t saying critical posts have no place. I said that after a certain point they become repetitive, like Turk’s later ones, and serve very little purpose except to continually rip the program.

And I didn’t attack Evanston Cat . I just said that I thought there was a healthy amount of disagreement on this board.

So I repeat, are you sleep writing?

Reactions: DaCat
Driven away I suspect by the unrelenting personal attacks of the homers on this board, as were Turk and others. Respect to those who have stood steadfast in the face of this board bullying and fascism.

We don't have that many fans. I would think all should be welcomed, even if they aren't always blindly supporting the coaches or toeing the homer party line. That cheerleading dude for example - forgot his name.

The only regular poster I think deserved his exile was Puffcat. And that crazy drunk woman with the vile mouth (and her equally offensive husband, I think msnow) from the hoops board. These others should feel they have a place within our community of wildcat fans.
I think you mean Shakes. I bet he’s around maybe even posting under another name. Not that hard to get a new Ip address.

How does moving to Florida impact your ability to be active on a message board? I know it's Magaland down there, but don't they have the internet there?
The 1500 mile daily commute to practices cut into his internet time .He could not attend games to give his performance analysis so his interest in NU faded

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm a little curious how you think Mike Webb fits into it. Didn't he storm off voluntarily?

Driven off I think by combo of bad teams and board hostility.
Okay, this isn't a personal attack, but didn't you drive him off, Bob? I recall he got tired of clashing with you constantly even after he took your handle.

I miss GlideCat , my second-favorite weird old poster (you know who you are, #1.)

Glide shone bright but briefly, our board’s Mark Fidrych, or Jeremy Larkin.

Reactions: DaCat
I miss GlideCat , my second-favorite weird old poster (you know who you are, #1.)

Glide shone bright but briefly, our board’s Mark Fidrych, or Jeremy Larkin.
Yeah, he was an interesting character, in a good way.

Okay, this isn't a personal attack, but didn't you drive him off, Bob? I recall he got tired of clashing with you constantly even after he took your handle.
Not at all. Mike and I grew to reapect each after a very rough start. I had no problem w the name change and participated in the banter like a good sport. So no, though Mike and I disagreed on the state of the program, wasn’t me.

There were couple others and terrible team that I think broke his interest.

I’ve been on these boards since 2000 - before that?
Yes. I was posting pre-1995 on the B1G boards. As an eternal optimist, I predicted NU would win the B1G before 1995 happened. Buckeye fans like GBMS and ScriptOhio thought I was nuts with my predictions. I hated the Bucks even back then. Much to my surprise we actually did win the conference in 1995.

He got booted because FloridaAlum got sick of him trying to arm-chair moderate the board
This is curious because I thought I remembered him making a final ‘I’m out’ post. But when I search the archives for him, his handle doesn’t even come up. Not sure if one can delete an account. But I could see how a ban would make him unsearchable.

But this would surprise me as I battled with him the most and he seemed quite tolerable unlike a certain cheerleader and some current posters.

Reactions: drewjin
Just realized virginacat disappeared too.

Stupor was another interesting poster.

Yes. I was posting pre-1995 on the B1G boards. As an eternal optimist, I predicted NU would win the B1G before 1995 happened. Buckeye fans like GBMS and ScriptOhio thought I was nuts with my predictions. I hated the Bucks even back then. Much to my surprise we actually did win the conference in 1995.

"Eternal optimist"

This is curious because I thought I remembered him making a final ‘I’m out’ post. But when I search the archives for him, his handle doesn’t even come up. Not sure if one can delete an account. But I could see how a ban would make him unsearchable.

But this would surprise me as I battled with him the most and he seemed quite tolerable unlike a certain cheerleader and some current posters.

I seriously doubt he was banned by FloridAlum. FA gave people dozens of second chances. One had to be a determined asshole to get tossed by FA.

He got booted because FloridaAlum got sick of him trying to arm-chair moderate the board
This is the first I've heard that he was booted. I thought I had heard that he just got sick of negative posts regarding the basketball team so he announced he wasn't going to post anymore. I was under the impression that his exile was voluntary. If he was actually booted, then that's news to me.

Of course, it also seems that there was drama on The Rock that I wasn't privy to, so maybe there is more to it that I hadn't heard.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
This is the first I've heard that he was booted. I thought I had heard that he just got sick of negative posts regarding the basketball team so he announced he wasn't going to post anymore. I was under the impression that his exile was voluntary.
I remember the same thing. His son was also criticized which contributed to Mike leaving.

When I first joined sometime in Late 2004 early 2095 maybe? i remember Medville(midvale) and turk. Mrcat who had great comments and others . - much lively discussion before and after games! Was fun to read- seemed like it was all in good humor. I miss that. It got kinda ugly later

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and HawkCat
That is my recollection as well. Frankly, I thought Mike was a gigantic pain in the ass, and I clashed with him frequently. Glad to see him exit.

I recall Florida explaining to me in great detail who he boots and for what, when I had lobbied for the reinstatement of Shakes. He did say if I divulged anything I would get the boot, so out of respect rather than the fear of suspension I’ll leave it at that.

But, I will say this. I respect him greatly for being fair and balanced. For everything I’ve ever written on these boards that pissed off certain posters, I only ever got one gentle (and probably deserved) warning and was never given a time out or booted (unlike those unhappy posters). He had a tough job and it was under appreciated especially given the overall great job he did.

Unlike a certain previous moderator whose self-acclaimed value add was copying and pasting links to articles on NU from a Google search who once booted me for things I wrote on the Buckeye board.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Just realized virginacat disappeared too.

Stupor was another interesting poster.
Some people simply lived for the rant board.

It was a board of Trumpers and Tree huggers. Here in this pretty world, utter illogic, emotional eruptions, and unfettered buffoonery took its last bow. Look for it only in archives, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a message board gone with the wind...

When it went faded into history, so too did they.

Last edited:
Some people simply lived for the rant board.

It was a board of Trumpers and Tree huggers. Here in this pretty world, utter illogic, emotional eruptions, and unfettered buffoonery took its last bow. Look for it only in archives, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a message board gone with the wind...

When it went faded into history, so too did they.
Shivas/stupor owes me 60 bucks for some tickets. Never forget!

When I first joined sometime in Late 2004 early 2095 maybe? i remember Medville(midvale) and turk. Mrcat who had great comments and others . - much lively discussion before and after games! Was fun to read- seemed like it was all in good humor. I miss that. It got kinda ugly later
MidvaleDave (aka WhyRandyWhy) left some time ago. My understanding was that he pivoted his online presence to social media sites (e.g. I think he's on Turk's FB page), but he still visits from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT