ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite personal opening game memory?

StreamCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Mine is calling my parents from Notre Dame after the upset that started it all. My parents are gone now. Five years later my son would enter Notre Dame as a student. I remember my mom saying, "I told your father that I thought you were there." It was a small moment that captured my family's passion for college football.

Now I have grandchildren that are split between ND and Northwestern. The grandchildren who are NU fans are 5th generation Cats fans. The ND kids are 3rd generation. It runs deep.

I'm sorry to say that I am missing the NU home opener for the first time in years, but I'll be there in spirit, as will generations of my family.

Mine is calling my parents from Notre Dame after the upset that started it all. My parents are gone now. Five years later my son would enter Notre Dame as a student. I remember my mom saying, "I told your father that I thought you were there." It was a small moment that captured my family's passion for college football.

Now I have grandchildren that are split between ND and Northwestern. The grandchildren who are NU fans are 5th generation Cats fans. The ND kids are 3rd generation. It runs deep.

I'm sorry to say that I am missing the NU home opener for the first time in years, but I'll be there in spirit, as will generations of my family.

Unbelievable StreamCat. That too is my favorite opening game memory. Not surprising. But the same/similar family context is uncanny. My grandfather played for ND. My dad attended ND, and my Mom St. Mary's. My wife followed in my dad's path, as did my two oldest sons. The first son enrolled the same year your son did. 2000. Right? And the second son enrolled 3 years later. That makes my grandchildren 5th generation ND fans. The NU vs ND split runs throughout my family. One or the other is either their first or second favorite. It all started that day in 1995 when Barnett and his boys shocked the world. And oddly, my wife long ago put NU first. People like No Chores and UberCat and Glades and FloridaDude and CoralSpringsCat and many others (too many player parents to mention) helped turn her to the right side. Shon Morris also deserves special recognition. My wife loves him.

I remember well the moment the win over ND was certain. My kids and wife were joyous for me. And even though my Mom grew up the daughter of a ND player and was a life long, intense Domer fan, she was the first to call with joyful congratulations. Not at all different than when she learned her grandsons were turning down Duke and the Ivies (their father's preferences) to go to ND ... her favorite place in the world.

Thanks for prompting some great memories.

GOUNUII

Unbelievable StreamCat. That too is my favorite opening game memory. Not surprising. But the same/similar family context is uncanny. My grandfather played for ND. My dad attended ND, and my Mom St. Mary's. My wife followed in my dad's path, as did my two oldest sons. The first son enrolled the same year your son did. 2000. Right? And the second son enrolled 3 years later. That makes my grandchildren 5th generation ND fans. The NU vs ND split runs throughout my family. One or the other is either their first or second favorite. It all started that day in 1995 when Barnett and his boys shocked the world. And oddly, my wife long ago put NU first. People like No Chores and UberCat and Glades and FloridaDude and CoralSpringsCat and many others (too many player parents to mention) helped turn her to the right side. Shon Morris also deserves special recognition. My wife loves him.

I remember well the moment the win over ND was certain. My kids and wife were joyous for me. And even though my Mom grew up the daughter of a ND player and was a life long, intense Domer fan, she was the first to call with joyful congratulations. Not at all different than when she learned her grandsons were turning down Duke and the Ivies (their father's preferences) to go to ND ... her favorite place in the world.

Thanks for prompting some great memories.

GOUNUII
It's so good to hear from someone who understands. Great post. Yes, my son entered in 2000. (What dorm was your son in? Mine was in Knott.) He came to the 1995 game all dressed up in ND gear. About the 3rd quarter he said to me, "You know, Dad, it would be pretty cool to see Northwestern get the upset." It was the last time he would ever say anything like that. He's not the only Domer in our family. His wife is a graduate and so is my nephew. My daughter just married an ND Law School graduate. Every last one of them pulls for the Cats, though, as long as they aren't playing ND. Man, did we all have fun at the last ND-Northwestern game where the Cats again prevailed. Some of us ended up happier than others, though.

Nothing will to 1995 for on-the-field joy, but opening day 2006 with both teams honoring Randy Walker will stick in my mind forever.

Reactions: rmndcat
ND-NU 1995 is number one. Watched it on NBC with my dad. 1967: NU 12 Miami Florida, ranked 1 by UPI 7 is 2nd with Stanford in 2015 3rd. Also remember Ara' s 14-13 opening win over Iowa State coming off 0-8-1 Lou Saban-led season in 1956. Saw all three of those in person.

1995 of course. Nothing is close.

However, I enjoyed 2010 for some reason. Persa's coming-out party against Vanderbilt. I can't remember what network it was on (SEC Network?), but whatever it was, my father-in-law was kind enough to buy a whole year's subscription for his satellite dish just so I could watch that night. Even better, he left me alone to watch it. That was a fun game.

It's so good to hear from someone who understands. Great post. Yes, my son entered in 2000. (What dorm was your son in? Mine was in Knott.) He came to the 1995 game all dressed up in ND gear. About the 3rd quarter he said to me, "You know, Dad, it would be pretty cool to see Northwestern get the upset." It was the last time he would ever say anything like that. He's not the only Domer in our family. His wife is a graduate and so is my nephew. My daughter just married an ND Law School graduate. Every last one of them pulls for the Cats, though, as long as they aren't playing ND. Man, did we all have fun at the last ND-Northwestern game where the Cats again prevailed. Some of us ended up happier than others, though.

Our 2000 Domer was a North quad Stanford Hall guy. Went to Wall Street and helped open doors there for other Domers at a time when Ivy prejudices were still strong. His 2 year old son is our 5th generation ND fan and 3rd generation Cat fan. Has GO CATS down pat. Still struggles with GO IRISH. Much to the chagrin of his father and the delight of his grandfather. All in good fun. Heading to NYC tomorrow with toddler Wildcat gear in tow to celebrate 2nd birthday.

Making large plans for many of us to be at Ryan Field for next year's game. Maybe we can meet then if not before.

Getting seriously pumped for the start of the season.

GO CATS!!!!

GOUNUII

Nothing will to 1995 for on-the-field joy, but opening day 2006 with both teams honoring Randy Walker will stick in my mind forever.
I was at that one too. As a sidelight: It was the first game that had new clock rules to speed up the game. It was over in under two and half hours. But really before then. Miami was awful.

Reactions: rmndcat
Hard to beat 1995, but the 2015 opening win over Stanford was a pleasant surprise. I especially remember CT taking off and leaving that SU LB in is dust on that long TD run.
I was at this one too. After the early SU drive, we set the tempo. .

1995 of course. Nothing is close.

However, I enjoyed 2010 for some reason. Persa's coming-out party against Vanderbilt. I can't remember what network it was on (SEC Network?), but whatever it was, my father-in-law was kind enough to buy a whole year's subscription for his satellite dish just so I could watch that night. Even better, he left me alone to watch it. That was a fun game.
I was at this one, sitting next to the guano that seemed to engulf the upper echelon of Vandy's stadium. Persa was something like 19 for 20.

I think the only opener I've attended since then was @Cal in 2013. That one was fun. Two pick-6 INTs by Ellis, and Dykes and the Cal fans flipping out about our players faking injuries.

Can't believe I didn't mention this one. Thanks again for the ticket!

Reactions: NU Houston
Coming off of two years of garbage and three yard runs up the middle followed by an occasional botched fake punt, 2000's unveiling of a space-age offense in front of a packed house on a Thursday night against NIU was pretty fun. I doubt many people thought it was the precursor to something greater - we were just happy to see some points.

NU scored more points in August 2000 than in November 1999 (+ the final game of October).

(Research shows only 23k on hand. But it was an enthusiastic 23k.)

In 1995, this son of an ND grad was *pissed*.

University of Kansas (KU), Arizona State, Vanderbilt, and Cal were opening games I was able to attend in the modern era. I will pick and choose a memory from each. At KU it was the hours I spent back at the hotel trying to dry out my camera from the monsoon that hit us during the game. At Arizona State it was running into FloridAlum and the MesaCats by pure chance at a pregame breakfast. At Vanderbilt it was being stopped by the Tennessee police for driving without my headlights on. At Cal it was receiving a call from Hawaii Five-0 Casting during the pregame tailgate concurrent with my running into the FarEastWildcats. (The call resulted in a change in my return travel plans by first heading to Hawaii to play the part of a "Costumed Party Guest with an upscale car" before my return to Alaska.)

OK, none of those are memories from the game itself, so here is a redo:

Pulling out the win at KU was equalled by getting to gather with the rain soaked team at its completion. Arizona State - during the game thinking back on all the fun we had at the Purple Party that preceded it. Pulling out the win at Vanderbilt AND being able to think back on all the fun we had at the Purple Party that preceded it. And at Cal it was pulling out the win and getting to share a next to front row stadium seat block with (and compliments of) the Drillcats AND being able to think back on all the fun we had at the Purple Party that preceded it.

DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSCN6729_zpsb0256ee0.jpg
DSCN6798_zps28b8aa5f.jpg
utf-8DSC_0881_zpsd04d4ba4.jpg
DSCN6795_zps54174f33.jpg
photo_zps06ba8819.jpg
utf-8Photo20from20Oct20312C202013_zpsca27d5a0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat
1995, I was a young dipshit who somehow found hinself writing the game story for the NU defeat over Notre Dame. My buddy Dan Twetten and I had a catch on the field before the game and then went to the press box. After the game, being the inexperienced dupe I was, I asked Barnett what he told the team before they took the field. Because I didn't know anything else to ask and thought I should ask something. He said, "I told them no to carry me off the field after we win." This made a lot of headlines and it was pretty cool.

The first issue of the Daily didn't come out for a week after, but it was easily the greatest thing I have ever written.

paraphrase because I am not at home

"On the facade of Hesberg Library stands a 90-foot stone mosaic of Jesus, his arms spread out as if aignalling a touchdown. On a sunny September afternoon, the unthinkable happened here, in the presence of this mythical protecter of Fighting Irish football. Northwestern, a 27-point underdog, walked into South Bend Nd defeated Notre Dame 17-15.

Touchdown Jesus wept."

1995, I was a young dipshit who somehow found hinself writing the game story for the NU defeat over Notre Dame. My buddy Dan Twetten and I had a catch on the field before the game and then went to the press box. After the game, being the inexperienced dupe I was, I asked Barnett what he told the team before they took the field. Because I didn't know anything else to ask and thought I should ask something. He said, "I told them no to carry me off the field after we win." This made a lot of headlines and it was pretty cool.

The first issue of the Daily didn't come out for a week after, but it was easily the greatest thing I have ever written.

"On the facade of Hesberg Library stands a 90-foot stone mosaic of Jesus, his arms spread out as if aignalling a touchdown. On a sunny September afternoon, the unthinkable happened here, in the presence of this mythical protecter of Fighting Irish football. Northwestern, a 27-point underdog, walked into South Bend Nd defeated Notre Dame 17-15.

Touchdown Jesus wept."

That is a great memory! On behalf of all the NU Faithful, thanks for asking that question with its answer that was heard round the world.

1985 ND game was the tops, except for my father in law wanting to leave early to "beat the traffic" so i missed the last minute. Jesus.

Drove all the way home listening to the post game on ND radio with fans calling for the coaches head because they had lost to NU. Sweet

NU Stanford was also great, but mostly because of all my wife's Stanford friends in town, who got to see their highly ranked team get blown up. I still remember all the claims that Stanford would have won had it not been such an early game and the West Coast team was not ready for such an early game...what a bunch of lame excuses we heard that week...

Touchdown Jesus wept."

My second son's girlfriend (at the time) hand painted an exact replica of that mosaic, down to the precise shapes and colors, for his birthday present last year. On of all things, the full top side of a corn hole set. Took her a year to complete. Has a perfectly transparent clear coat over it. A very smart and talented young woman. They were engaged shortly after the unveiling.

GOUNUII

Our 2000 Domer was a North quad Stanford Hall guy. Went to Wall Street and helped open doors there for other Domers at a time when Ivy prejudices were still strong. His 2 year old son is our 5th generation ND fan and 3rd generation Cat fan. Has GO CATS down pat. Still struggles with GO IRISH. Much to the chagrin of his father and the delight of his grandfather. All in good fun. Heading to NYC tomorrow with toddler Wildcat gear in tow to celebrate 2nd birthday.

Making large plans for many of us to be at Ryan Field for next year's game. Maybe we can meet then if not before.

Getting seriously pumped for the start of the season.

GO CATS!!!!

GOUNUII
Everyone in my family will be at that one. I'd love to meet up then or before. We are in the West Lot. Sounds like you are, too, because of the people you hang with.

University of Kansas (KU), Arizona State, Vanderbilt, and Cal were opening games I was able to attend in the modern era. I will pick and choose a memory from each. At KU it was the hours I spent back at the hotel trying to dry out my camera from the monsoon that hit us during the game. At Arizona State it was running into FloridAlum and the MesaCats by pure chance at a pregame breakfast. At Vanderbilt it was being stopped by the Tennessee police for driving without my headlights on. At Cal it was receiving a call from Hawaii Five-0 Casting during the pregame tailgate concurrent with my running into the FarEastWildcats. (The call resulted in a change in my return travel plans by first heading to Hawaii to play the part of a "Costumed Party Guest with an upscale car" before my return to Alaska.)

Pulling out the win at KU was equalled by getting to gather with the rain soaked team at its completion. Arizona State - during the game thinking back on all the fun we had at the Purple Party that preceded it. Pulling out the win at Vanderbilt AND being able to think back on all the fun we had at the Purple Party that preceded it. And at Cal it was pulling out the win and getting to share a next to front row stadium seat block with (and compliments of) the Drillcats AND being able to think back on all the fun we had at the Purple Party that preceded it.

DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSCN6729_zpsb0256ee0.jpg
DSCN6798_zps28b8aa5f.jpg
DSCN6795_zps54174f33.jpg
photo_zps06ba8819.jpg

Slight correction, there was no football party at the Cal game. I was not there. Also, I cannot tell about the photo with me in it. I really am not sure what game that comes from. I see Glades and willycat . I am guessing Vanderbilt in 2010, but I really am not sure. Do you remember where the picture was taken?

I am not sure of my favorite opening game memory, but if I try listing all of my opening game memories the post would be extremely long. For a while I was on a bit of a roll going to opening games , despite the fact that it was mostly coincidence. Most of them were road games to places I wanted to attend. I also usually figure that if I am going to a game why not try and get a bunch of folks together, usually seems like a good idea. So without further ado, I attended the following opening games-

2001 – UNLV

2002 – Air Force, about a dozen of us got together after the game for pizza at a sports bar, pregame breakfast with FarEastWildcat and The Waterboy, dinner night before the game with the Waterboy, the water girl, Mr. and Mrs. mesacat mr. and Mrs. GOUNUII

2003 – Kansas, about 20 of us from the board met for a steak lunch before the game including Alaska, willycat, Smithee, FEW, GoUPurple, The Waterboy

2004 – TCU, willycat, Smithee, Mizzoucat and I attended big parent party before the game hosted by Colby Clark's folks.

2005 – Ohio University at home. The big Purple Party was two weeks later at Arizona State arranged by the mesacats and me in conjunction with the players parents, about 100 people in attendance, lots of pizza lots of beer, small ticket block of about 15

2006 – Miami(Ohio), Purple Party at the famous cabin in the woods, about a dozen of us the night before the game met for barbecued ribs and my first taste of Graeters purple ice cream including Glades, GOUNUII, CincyCat, HappyNUYear, Ticket block 35 to 40 people

2007 – northeastern at home

2008 – Duke, OK I am cheating , it was actually the second game of the year, pregame lunch buffet Purple Party about 45 people, ticket block about 45 people

2010 - Vanderbilt, pregame Purple Party almost 80 people,barbecue buffet, yummy,ticket block about 120 people

2011 – Boston College,Purple Party dinner night before the game, fantastic location in Quincy market and very disappointing attendance, I am still upset, ticket block 220 people in purple, not a typo, 220.

2015 – Duke, OK, I am cheating again, you caught me, it was really the third game of the season, ticket block about 65 folks

Can't believe I didn't mention this one. Thanks again for the ticket!
Sure thing! This thread made me realize that the Cal game was my first opener since 1995. Way too long. Looking ahead, I see the 2019 schedule opens at Stanford. I may be able to make that one. We'll plan another purple party (or whatever FloridAlum will allow it to be called).

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
There was a gathering of people wearing purple, myself included. See Alaska's picture above. Does this not constitute a "purple party"? ;)

I think if you organize a bunch of purple people together, it certainly constitutes a purple party. I have no copyright on the name.

1995. My Uncle has had Notre Dame tickets since the late 50's. The man never went to college but he will start a fight with you (he would get his ass kicked) over Notre Dame. His son (my godson) told me that after the game he was so out of control that he was crying that the upcoming season was destroyed by losing to lowly Northwestern. My God, I still smile broadly every time I remember that story. I was at our first house holding my toddler son while he slept in my arms watching that game. The fact that I did not scream during that game is one of the greatest control moments of my life. My son graduated from Michigan but Northwestern is his favorite second team. Oh yes, he loathes Notre Dame. My job is done!

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I think if you organize a bunch of purple people together, it certainly constitutes a purple party. I have no copyright on the name.
Well, you deserve an honorary copyright on the name, given how many you've organized. They're not the same without you. I'd love to be able to make the party (and game) in Durham but have too many obligations here.

Slight correction, there was no football party at the Cal game. I was not there. Also, I cannot tell about the photo with me in it. I really am not sure what game that comes from. I see Glades and willycat . I am guessing Vanderbilt in 2010, but I really am not sure. Do you remember where the picture was taken?
Of course there was a Purple Party at the Cal game. It was organized, primarily, by DocRugby, No Chores and, I believe, concrete, who's son was swimming at NU at the time. The venue was Build Pizzeria, and it was a very nice event. Alaska's photo captures some of the Board luminaries in attendance, but not all. The game was at night and Mrs NC and I attended with GOUNUII and his much better half. The game was really fun, not only because the "Cats won, but because of the awful bitching by the Cal fans. Nonetheless, ND '95 was my all-time favorite. See you in Evanston on September 2.

Of course there was a Purple Party at the Cal game. It was organized, primarily, by DocRugby, No Chores and, I believe, concrete, who's son was swimming at NU at the time. The venue was Build Pizzeria, and it was a very nice event. Alaska's photo captures some of the Board luminaries in attendance, but not all. The game was at night and Mrs NC and I attended with GOUNUII and his much better half. The game was really fun, not only because the "Cats won, but because of the awful bitching by the Cal fans. Nonetheless, ND '95 was my all-time favorite. See you in Evanston on September 2.

My apologies if I accidentally offended anyone. I thought Alaska was only referring to events with which I had some connection. I am all in favor of anybody organizing gatherings of northwestern fans, the more the better, that is the whole point of it. willycat (with NUHouston?) organized a great barbecue get together a few years back at a Rice game in Houston, as an example.So round them up and get them in purple

Sure thing! This thread made me realize that the Cal game was my first opener since 1995. Way too long. Looking ahead, I see the 2019 schedule opens at Stanford. I may be able to make that one. We'll plan another purple party (or whatever FloridAlum will allow it to be called).

I know you are looking far ahead, but if you think about organizing a get together at Stanford, remember that NorCalCat is right there, and DrillCat might love to get involved.

DSC_0153.jpg
DSC_0074.jpg
DSCN6729_zpsb0256ee0.jpg
DSCN6798_zps28b8aa5f.jpg
DSCN6795_zps54174f33.jpg
photo_zps06ba8819.jpg

I am not sure of my favorite opening game memory, but if I try listing all of my opening game memories the post would be extremely long. For a while I was on a bit of a roll going to opening games , despite the fact that it was mostly coincidence. Most of them were road games to places I wanted to attend. I also usually figure that if I am going to a game why not try and get a bunch of folks together, usually seems like a good idea. So without further ado, I attended the following opening games-

2001 – UNLV

2002 – Air Force, about a dozen of us got together after the game for pizza at a sports bar, pregame breakfast with FarEastWildcat and The Waterboy, dinner night before the game with the Waterboy, the water girl, Mr. and Mrs. mesacat mr. and Mrs. GOUNUII

2003 – Kansas, about 20 of us from the board met for a steak lunch before the game including Alaska, willycat, Smithee, FEW, GoUPurple, The Waterboy

2004 – TCU, willycat, Smithee, Mizzoucat and I attended big parent party before the game hosted by Colby Clark's folks.

2005 – Ohio University at home. The big Purple Party was two weeks later at Arizona State arranged by the mesacats and me in conjunction with the players parents, about 100 people in attendance, lots of pizza lots of beer, small ticket block of about 15

2006 – Miami(Ohio), Purple Party at the famous cabin in the woods, about a dozen of us the night before the game met for barbecued ribs and my first taste of Graeters purple ice cream including Glades, GOUNUII, CincyCat, HappyNUYear, Ticket block 35 to 40 people

2007 – northeastern at home

2008 – Duke, OK I am cheating , it was actually the second game of the year, pregame lunch buffet Purple Party about 45 people, ticket block about 45 people

2010 - Vanderbilt, pregame Purple Party almost 80 people,barbecue buffet, yummy,ticket block about 120 people

2011 – Boston College,Purple Party dinner night before the game, fantastic location in Quincy market and very disappointing attendance, I am still upset, ticket block 220 people in purple, not a typo, 220.

2015 – Duke, OK, I am cheating again, you caught me, it was really the third game of the season, ticket block about 65 folks

Wow, I am relieved to learn that Arizona State was simply the first away game that year and not the opening game of the season. That confirms the validity of the Alaska Karma since all my other listed as attended at opening games were wins for the Wildcats!

To answer FloridAlum's guestion about the first game photo in my post, yes that was Vanderbilt with FloridAlum, willycat and Gladeskat pictured. If I recall correctly, as I took that photo Gladeskat was actually criticizing a call in the Cats' favor that contributed to the win as he was a bit miffed about how defensive players were no longer being allowed to play defensively and were getting unjustly penalized for playing the game the way it was played when he played for Northwestern.

FWIW that was the last post I made before going in for arthroscopic surgery and this thread kept coming to mind during the hours I had to wait laying on my bed before I got rolled into the operating room. Had there been complications I thought how bizarre that those would have been my last thoughts.

All Time: 1981 Indiana. After three years of watching teams that just looked awful, Dennis Green's first game brought hope in a 1 point loss to Indiana where Coach Green went for two toward the end of the game to try for the win rather than ending the losing streak with a tie. The hope was, of course, short-lived and the rest is history.

Modern era: Vanderbilt. I live in Nashville and had Vandy season tickets. This was sad as I could not get tickets for the pre-game NU party because I had not gotten my tickets through NU (low priority). I was sitting in a Vandy section with a relatively large number of NU fans in the vicinity. I remember how much louder we were than the Vandy fans even though they outnumbered us and it was a close game. Winning did not hurt.

There was a purple party @ Cal. I arranged it About 50 people attended including some player's parents . It was low key with no commitment to attend, just show up, build your pizza and buy your beer

The 1967 Opener against Miami was the game I remember. Miami was preseason#1 NU's game plan was to run directly at "The Stork"(Ted Hendricks) to negate his mobility/pursuit

There was a purple party @ Cal. I arranged it About 50 people attended including some player's parents . It was low key with no commitment to attend, just show up, build your pizza and buy your beert

"Building [the] pizza and buying [beverages at the Cal purple party] :

DSCN6720_zps1bb22317.jpg
DSCN6717_zpsa33e38ae.jpg
DSCN6715_zps26e30ccd.jpg
DSCN6724_zps55f536a1.jpg
DSCN6730_zpsfefa13e1.jpg
DSCN6740_zps4bf5cf4e.jpg

Reactions: NU Houston
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT