ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite personal opening game memory?

There was a purple party @ Cal. I arranged it About 50 people attended including some player's parents . It was low key with no commitment to attend, just show up, build your pizza and buy your beer

The 1967 Opener against Miami was the game I remember. Miami was preseason#1 NU's game plan was to run directly at "The Stork"(Ted Hendricks) to negate his mobility/pursuit

The Cal game gathering was a purple party not a Purple Party

Alaska, you've outdone yourself. Somehow you've managed to depict Mrs. NC and I in a most favorable light at the Vandy game. Lots of Board members at Build Pizzeria in Berkeley as well. Thanks!

That is because you are so photogenic. Besides, everyone looks better in purple.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Alaska, you've outdone yourself. Somehow you've managed to depict Mrs. NC and I in a most favorable light at the Vandy game. Lots of Board members at Build Pizzeria in Berkeley as well. Thanks!

Those Pumpkin frosted cookies Mrs. NC insisted you bring to last year's homecoming tailgate were equally appreciated.

Too bad this year's homecoming will be distant from the Halloween baking period. Looking forward to seeing you there since I should be back to walking normal as yesterday's arthroscopic surgery went well.

IMG_0786_zpsc19plszn.jpg
IMG_0792_zpsjh7cpbq6.jpg

Last edited:
I know you are looking far ahead, but if you think about organizing a get together at Stanford, remember that NorCalCat is right there, and DrillCat might love to get involved.
Yeah, that would be great. The Cal game was at night, and the purple party was held that afternoon instead of the previous evening. Stanford plays many night games as well, so it could be a similar schedule for the party. Only two years to go - better start planning!

Those Pumpkin frosted cookies Mrs. NC insisted you bring to last year's homecoming tailgate were equally appreciated.

Too bad this year's homecoming will be distant from the Halloween baking period. Looking forward to seeing you there since I should be back to walking normal as yesterday's arthroscopic surgery went well.

IMG_0786_zpsc19plszn.jpg
IMG_0792_zpsjh7cpbq6.jpg
You can be sure that some version of those cookies will be available this year. The bakery is a short distance from our place. (By the time of that game. I'm sure that you'll be booming 50 yard field goals!) May we assume that we'll see some reindeer sausage and smoked salmon at the Rolling Rock tent?

You can be sure that some version of those cookies will be available this year. The bakery is a short distance from our place. (By the time of that game. I'm sure that you'll be booming 50 yard field goals!) May we assume that we'll see some reindeer sausage and smoked salmon at the Rolling Rock tent?

As always your request is my command. Hope Kenai Reds fit the bill as we have the freezer full from last month's efforts:

IMG_9511_zpsvff0a15e.jpg

I saw the opener against Oklahoma at Soldier Field. We shut them out something like 24-0. Went home thinking we were going to win another B1G title. Bates getting hurt certainly didn't help us, but who knew that OU was so bad.

I saw the opener against Oklahoma at Soldier Field. We shut them out something like 24-0. Went home thinking we were going to win another B1G title. Bates getting hurt certainly didn't help us, but who knew that OU was so bad.
I was there too. Beautiful sunny late summer day. The Bates injury was a killer.

Saw 1995 on TV, and am still excited. In person, the MSU 1964 home upset of #2 USC. The debut of the best class ever at MSU with Bubba Smith, George Webster, Gene Washington, Clinton Jones, and others. Set up the 1965-66 mini-dynasty.

I was at that one, too. Went back to campus later that day and spoke with a player that said Bates was a little dinged up but fine. I found out later that week that news that he was out for the season. Oklahoma was amazingly bad. Their fans were nice, though.

Mine is calling my parents from Notre Dame after the upset that started it all. My parents are gone now. Five years later my son would enter Notre Dame as a student. I remember my mom saying, "I told your father that I thought you were there." It was a small moment that captured my family's passion for college football.

Now I have grandchildren that are split between ND and Northwestern. The grandchildren who are NU fans are 5th generation Cats fans. The ND kids are 3rd generation. It runs deep.

I'm sorry to say that I am missing the NU home opener for the first time in years, but I'll be there in spirit, as will generations of my family.

Let's see now. Here are the opening games I've attended:

1967 we shocked Miami (Florida). That's got to be high on the list. Maybe the topper.

1970 we lost to ND. It was tied at halftime and everyone was excited, but they blew us out in the 2nd half.

1996 we lost to Wake in the last minute. Very disappointing.

1999 we lost to Miami (Ohio) in Randy Walker's debut. Pitiful performance.

2001 we beat UNLV. Vegas was fun, but it was just four days before 9/11.

2010 we beat Vandy. Nashville was fun.

2011 we beat BC. Boston was fun too.

2013 we beat Cal. Lots of purple in Berkeley. And we scored lots of points.

2015 we stunned Stanford. That was great. 48 years after the Miami upset, and both were terrific.

Let's see now. Here are the opening games I've attended:

1967 we shocked Miami (Florida). That's got to be high on the list. Maybe the topper.

1970 we lost to ND. It was tied at halftime and everyone was excited, but they blew us out in the 2nd half.

1996 we lost to Wake in the last minute. Very disappointing.

1999 we lost to Miami (Ohio) in Randy Walker's debut. Pitiful performance.

2001 we beat UNLV. Vegas was fun, but it was just four days before 9/11.

2010 we beat Vandy. Nashville was fun.

2011 we beat BC. Boston was fun too.

2013 we beat Cal. Lots of purple in Berkeley. And we scored lots of points.

2015 we stunned Stanford. That was great. 48 years after the Miami upset, and both were terrific.
Thanks for reminding me, Dog. I was at that '67 opening shocker, too. It was a great game. That would be my number 2. Chico Kurzowski's quick kicks helped provide the victory.

Reactions: seavue617
I'm hoping my new favorite will be in two weeks, when I take my son to his first game at Ryan Field.

Well, yesterday Little Smelly broke a bone in his hand. We're still coming, but he's despondent (he was going to play flag football this fall).

On the other hand, he was looking at his hand yesterday, and saw it was a little discolored, and he said, "at least I'll be bringing something purple to the game next week!"

We're ready. Go Cats.

Mine is calling my parents from Notre Dame after the upset that started it all. My parents are gone now. Five years later my son would enter Notre Dame as a student. I remember my mom saying, "I told your father that I thought you were there." It was a small moment that captured my family's passion for college football.

Now I have grandchildren that are split between ND and Northwestern. The grandchildren who are NU fans are 5th generation Cats fans. The ND kids are 3rd generation. It runs deep.

I'm sorry to say that I am missing the NU home opener for the first time in years, but I'll be there in spirit, as will generations of my family.
Hard to top that.

As a really old guy my freshman year 1959 Oklahoma the cats led by Ron Burton put a serious woopin on a highly on Sooner team. And the following year in Norman we beat them again. That was my first college game.
That would be one of my favorite also. I would also add the 1962 opener against South Carolina when we unveiled a pro set for the first time and Tommy Myers set a record for consecutive completions.

Reactions: StreamCat
Has to be all events surrounding the ND game. The level of excitement as we were all picked up for the van going to the game. Having multiple Catholics in the car speaking as to how they despised ND. Using Sully's transport to ensure that there were adult beverages aplenty throughout the game. Drinking from the hideous Lou Holtz special cup during the game and for years later as I was able to remember the day and gloat about the victory. Walking through the crowd with an arm around around Driscoll's shoulder screaming "Go Cats!" and various inappropriate comments about ND. Seeing our esteemed publisher's perma-grin after the game and throughout our ride back home. And the knowing smiles we are still able to give one another decades later as we speak of the game the changed the Cats' fortunes.
Thanks Bill and Lou for allowing me to be a part of so many memories for so many years. I treasure them all, but his was certainly the starting point for me.

That would be one of my favorite also. I would also add the 1962 opener against South Carolina when we unveiled a pro set for the first time and Tommy Myers set a record for consecutive completions.
I was in attendance at that one as well. 1962 was a great year to be rooming with Jack Cvercko, and Myers to Flatley was unveiled for the first time.

I'm hoping my new favorite will be in two weeks, when I take my son to his first game at Ryan Field.
I had the luck of bringing my 3 month old to the Stanford game in 15. No wonder he is the one in three kids that likes football the most.

I graduated in 1969 and the 1967 opening game Miami victory was certainly the football high point of my four years. Miami was the pre-season #1. Thanks for the reminder about Chico's quick kicks. That game was the only time in my four years that I recall the goal posts being torn down.

Bill Swingle also came out Big. One Of their QB's was Decon Dan Reeves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT