ADVERTISEMENT

Where are the deep shots?

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
This offensive system is McCalls with more tempo. Can we try to push the ball down the field?

I think Iowa had something to do with containing NU's receivers. Per Ramsey they played them very physical. Size matters. NU will see a lot more of the same.

This system isn't on the same planet as McCall's. More compact. More options. QB mobility helps a ton.

I’m just not a fan of what I am seeing offensively. It seems that the whole approach involves executing 12-15 yard drives. One sack/penalty kills them.

I’m just not a fan of what I am seeing offensively. It seems that the whole approach involves executing 12-15 yard drives. One sack/penalty kills them.
We had good chunk plays last week. This was not the week for downfield passing. Just look at the Iowa QB. I think the wind was unpredictable and caused issues going both ways - passes sailing high or wide. I don’t know if it somehow affected their QB’s touch as 2 of our INTs came from tipped passes a little too high and hard.

One sack or penalty kills most drives. We are executing the offense to perfection!

Last year...we kept trying to force things that we had little chance of executing,,,resulting in disaster....yesterday we figured out what we could do,,,which was not much but enough..and did it...plus running the ball was an attempt to open up the passing game...if we could have busted some big runs might have given receivers more space,,,,,,,an d added credibility to play action..........THis was an incredible win....what are the odds to come back from 17-0 on a windy day.....This was a coaching staff that knew how to win a football game and did.............style points are worthless

I agree that yesterday's offensive showing was disappointing and something I'm hoping never to see again this season. But at the same time, I recognize that we had a game plan in place given the conditions and that last week against Maryland showed that we're not wedded to this plodding, conservative, grind it out offense for every game (that's not to say we won't always be run oriented).

If the 'Cats were still down by 17 points at half time, we would have seen a lot more passing in the second half. I think the coaches decided to keep with the original game plan at least until half time, when they would reevaluate the situation. It turned out that we were down by only six points at half time, so there was no need to open up the passing game.

The wind was apparently a factor, and we also don't have real blazers at wideout for the most part. That is one position where NU really has to step up recruiting. The horrid year they had passing last season didn't help. Watching OSU's wide game destroy Penn State and a freshman Michigan State wideout torture Michigan this weekend reminded me once again how important a dangerous receiver can be. The difference between the big boys and the second tier teams is that they almost always had most of the speed.

On the encouraging side, NU seems to be developing a good young secondary, which is another position where recruiting can be tough. You need good DBs to have a chance to contain the aforementioned wideouts.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
The wind was apparently a factor, and we also don't have real blazers at wideout for the most part. That is one position where NU really has to step up recruiting. The horrid year they had passing last season didn't help. Watching OSU's wide game destroy Penn State and a freshman Michigan State wideout torture Michigan this weekend reminded me once again how important a dangerous receiver can be. The difference between the big boys and the second tier teams is that they almost always had most of the speed.

On the encouraging side, NU seems to be developing a good young secondary, which is another position where recruiting can be tough. You need good DBs to have a chance to contain the aforementioned wideouts.
Do we have any WR recruit in 2021 class so far with speed?

If the 'Cats were still down by 17 points at half time, we would have seen a lot more passing in the second half. I think the coaches decided to keep with the original game plan at least until half time, when they would reevaluate the situation. It turned out that we were down by only six points at half time, so there was no need to open up the passing game.

Yeah, it was a little hard to appreciate (at least for me) how strong and unpredictable the wind was there. The muffed punt was one of the best indicators - it looked like McGowan was taken by complete surprise when the ball took a left turn just before he was supposed to field it. The other indicator, in hindsight, was the errant throws by Petras. Sure, some of that was just bad passes, but it did seem like the wind was a factor.

Didn't it appear that the wind died down in the second half? What, no one else out there with a built-in TV anemometer? I was surprised by how far the punts and kickoffs were carrying against the wind direction. There clearly was a strong crossfield wind before the half based on Iowa's missed FG. Taking Ramsey at his word at the post game conference, receivers were getting jammed. Iowa has a history of hard nosed defense. Maybe the takeaway is our receivers can be neutralized by physical play and that needs to be a point of emphasis.

Wind and Iowa jamming the receivers.

Do we have any WR recruit in 2021 class so far with speed?

That's why advocated getting another upper tier TE recruit; if can't get a mismatch at WR, then having multiple TEs who pose a problem can mitigate that.

The wind against Iowa was a blessing.

There are coachable remedies for jamming (i.e. drop stepping). With the right route combinations and timing, even though NU lacks a Mega-tron, there is enough speed to get open deep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT