ADVERTISEMENT

Where Will NU Play During Ryan Field Construction?

jne381

Sep 2, 2013
If Northwestern has to close the entire stadium for a season or two to accommodate the construction process, where will they play?

My first thought was Soldier Field, but is Soldier Field too big, too expensive? Wrigley would be neat, but not feasible with the end of the baseball season. Are there other options I am not thinking of?

My impression from the press releases is they’ll play at home, with the construction done in phases during several off-seasons. Somewhat similar to the phased redevelopment of Wrigley. But nothing official about it has been released.

My impression from the press releases is they’ll play at home, with the construction done in phases during several off-seasons. Somewhat similar to the phased redevelopment of Wrigley. But nothing official about it has been released.
This is what it sounds like, but if we do have to leave Ryan Field, it would at most be for 1 season.

If construction starts in a December through the following football season and finishes in the following June/July; that's a full 18-20 months of construction at the cost of only 1 season.

All of this depends on what the plans end up being (especially re:locker rooms) and I don't think any determinations have been made yet as to what the project will look like.

We'll learn a lot more in the next 12-18 months; still a long way to go in all of this.

Given how long it took the fieldhouse to get into construction, I think this is looking like 2025-2026 as when all this would be underway.

Last edited:
I would think they would want to get that sorted out quickly as it impacts many businesses that rely on game day. I assume this has been in the works, so not a recent development. Now dealing with the city is another thing, but I would hope they have been working behind the scenes.

Hire the dudes that did the Stanford stadium reno. As soon as the whistle blew on the last game of the season, contractors / builders were in working their magic and had the new stadium up and running for the first game of the next season. It's a nice set of digs, too.

Not a small issue in Chicago - weather. Stanford, not so much. Plus depends on what type and extent of the work required. Not necessarily the same obviously. No question the design and construction team did a good job at Stanford, however.

I would think it would have to be Soldier Field, with perhaps the late-season games at Wrigley.

If we played at, for example, Northern Illinois, we'd have to share the stadium with them on Saturdays. I don't know how that would work out. Perhaps we could play games at Northern Illinois when they have an away game and then Soldier Field/Wrigley for the others.

If Northwestern has to close the entire stadium for a season or two to accommodate the construction process, where will they play?

My first thought was Soldier Field, but is Soldier Field too big, too expensive? Wrigley would be neat, but not feasible with the end of the baseball season. Are there other options I am not thinking of?
Toyota Park or whatever they call it now that the Fire don’t play there anymore.

Toyota Park or whatever they call it now that the Fire don’t play there anymore.
That stadium (now SeatGeek Stadium) would be rocking if it packed with all NU fans. Also, there are a lot of great places in that area for Palestinian food after the game. 20,000 seats may accommodate all the season ticket holders.

Toyota Park is not easy to get to. I have watched rugby games there-sight lines are good though

Toyota Park is not easy to get to. I have watched rugby games there-sight lines are good though

Not sure why you say that, Doc. Yes, it is a hike from Evanston, but Its right off the Tri State and 95th, then a hop, skip and a jump up Harlem. I used to make deliveries to Toyota Park. I never watched a game there like you did, but it looks like a very cozy and loud place for our smaller fan base. We ain't going there, though. So nothing to fuss about.

Last edited:

Want the Wildcats to really get publicity?

Do a season of Field Of Dreams games.

All games on Deering Meadow.

Spitballing:

1) Kinnick Stadium - the Cats own it often enough lately anyway
2) Rutgers’ stadium - great deal/they really need the money
3) Barnstorm SEC country - all games in FL or TX/NU in playoffs
4) The Grand Tour - Paris, Berlin, Rome, ….

Spitballing:

1) Kinnick Stadium - the Cats own it often enough lately anyway
2) Rutgers’ stadium - great deal/they really need the money
3) Barnstorm SEC country - all games in FL or TX/NU in playoffs
4) The Grand Tour - Paris, Berlin, Rome, ….
5) Sounds fun, but imagine the University foregoing 8 figures of attendance/concessions/parking revenue...

If they come to Boise or Salt Lake, I'll get season tix!

5) Sounds fun, but imagine the University foregoing 8 figures of attendance/concessions/parking revenue...

If they come to Boise or Salt Lake, I'll get season tix!
6) I was of course joking about playing away from Chicago, but if we get to throw our own personal preferences in, then sure…let the Cats head down to play at Tulsa, and I’ll be almost as close to the stadium as I was in the dorms in Evanston.

Wake. Caffeinate. Short stroll. Game!

Sadly, it would be better for recruiting to set up shop elsewhere.

Pretty good idea, actually. I wonder if they can bring in temporary stands to increase capacity, but 20,000 is probably just about right for the nonconference games. If they can bring in temporary stands to increase it to 30,000, then maybe a game or two at Wrigley at the end of the season, that could work.

It's gonna be a year before we have and actual plan and complete additional fund raising, then a year to get the permits. Might be ready but 2025 season. Any one who thinks it will be sooner has never been a part of a major building project and is forgetting the saga of the Fake by the Lake.

Reactions: mountaindrew
I think signing a dual contract makes sense starting the season at Soldier Field or Toyota Park with the option to move games to Wrigley after the Cubs season ends as @FeralFelidae said.

Get as many Wrigley games as possible that year if we do have to move the team.

Feel like we are ignoring the obvious possibility of Wrigley Field. The Cubs won’t need it in October for the foreseeable future.
Mentioned in four posts above.
I guess the question is how much it costs to rent these facilities and bus people to the game.

Want the Wildcats to really get publicity?

Do a season of Field Of Dreams games.

All games on Deering Meadow.
If we are thinking outside the box, why not throw some stands up and play at Lake Shore Park across the street from Feinberg.

That stadium (now SeatGeek Stadium) would be rocking if it packed with all NU fans. Also, there are a lot of great places in that area for Palestinian food after the game. 20,000 seats may accommodate all the season ticket holders.
For those of us that would fly into Midway, great! But why do we think attendance would be ok in SW Chicago when we had about 150 home fans at Allstate Arena?

Reactions: Eurocat
For those of us that would fly into Midway, great! But why do we think attendance would be ok in SW Chicago when we had about 150 home fans at Allstate Arena?
I feel like the only games that would have good attendance that year would be Wrigley games due to the novelty of it (which is why I'd be in favor of doing as many as possible there).

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Stanford stadium was done by an alum who’s a major contractor. The entire interior was built offsite and “installed” in the off season. Only minor work was done to the shell.

Reactions: Katatonic
Not sure why you say that, Doc. Yes, it is a hike from Evanston, but Its right off the Tri State and 95th, then a hop, skip and a jump up Harlem. I used to make deliveries to Toyota Park. I never watched a game there like you did, but it looks like a very cozy and loud place for our smaller fan base. We ain't going there, though. So nothing to fuss about.
I went to Toyota Park from Winnetka- both times on Friday evenings

Reactions: mountaindrew
Stanford stadium was done by an alum who’s a major contractor. The entire interior was built offsite and “installed” in the off season. Only minor work was done to the shell.
I didn't know they redid it. Doesn't seem all that nice now.

I went to Toyota Park from Winnetka- both times on Friday evenings

That would definitely suck... especially for folks not familiar with driving around the SW side during rush hour. A Saturday morning would be a lot less stressful.

It's gonna be a year before we have and actual plan and complete additional fund raising, then a year to get the permits. Might be ready but 2025 season. Any one who thinks it will be sooner has never been a part of a major building project and is forgetting the saga of the Fake by the Lake.
Gragg said they are excited to get construction started “after next season” so while that timeline may not yet be set in stone, it’s at least the hope.

Soldier Field seems like a more viable option given today’s Bears news. The bears will still be playing there but I think the city will be a lot less likely to accommodate their needs and may be inclined to host college football games on Saturdays before Bear games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT