ADVERTISEMENT

#WhereIsPengShuai

There was a message addressed to Steve Simon, WTA President, supposedly from Peng, that was shared on the Twitter page of the China Global Television Network's European arm.

"Regarding the recent news released on the official website of the WTA, the content has not been confirmed or verified by myself and it was released without my consent," reads the statement.

"The news in that release, including the allegation of sexual assault, is not true. I'm not missing, nor I am unsafe. I've just been resting at home and everything is fine. Thank you again for caring about me."

Most people are skeptical that this message is actually from Peng Shuai as it sound more like government messaging.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
We can hope and pray for the best, but I fear the worst. The problem in China has nothing to do with the general population, the vast majority of whom are not members of the CCP. The Chinese Communist Party members are ruthless vicious human rights violators who lie and cheat consistently, led by Xi. My wife and I have traveled both to Hong Kong and Beijing and have found the people to be most pleasant and welcoming. Of course, we met no one who was a member of the CCP.

We can hope and pray for the best, but I fear the worst. The problem in China has nothing to do with the general population, the vast majority of whom are not members of the CCP. The Chinese Communist Party members are ruthless vicious human rights violators who lie and cheat consistently, led by Xi. My wife and I have traveled both to Hong Kong and Beijing and have found the people to be most pleasant and welcoming. Of course, we met no one who was a member of the CCP.
Hong Kong isn't part of China, so not sure why you'd come across any commies there. 🥺

Hong Kong isn't part of China, so not sure why you'd come across any commies there. 🥺
You have to start reading more news. The Chinese Communist Party has taken over Hong Kong pursuant to it's One China policy. When we were there in 2015, the residents of Hong Kong, who are mostly Chinese were scared to death of the CCP. Even our guide, who was Chinese, talked in whispers when I asked her about these issues. If you were to go over to Hong Kong today and announce in public that it wasn't part of China, you'd probably wind up in jail - maybe the same jail where other Hong Kong Chinese dissidents are presently located.

Just a little more in the way of a history lesson. Great Britain returned Hong Kong to China in 1997. The agreement called for Hong Kong to remain a democracy for 50 plus years, but the CCP reneged on the deal and assumed total command in 2019. Now the entire Hong Kong area, including the Kowloon Peninsula, is under the control of the CCP. So your suggestion that Hong Kong is not a part of China is simply wrong. Sadly, only 6.7% of the Chinese population are members of the CCP, but they rule with an iron fist. No dissent is tolerated and ethnic cleansing is common. Their treatment of Tibet is shameful. So you will never hear the rape allegation again from the tennis player unless she manages to escape with her entire family.

Just a little more in the way of a history lesson. Great Britain returned Hong Kong to China in 1997. The agreement called for Hong Kong to remain a democracy for 50 plus years, but the CCP reneged on the deal and assumed total command in 2019. Now the entire Hong Kong area, including the Kowloon Peninsula, is under the control of the CCP. So your suggestion that Hong Kong is not a part of China is simply wrong. Sadly, only 6.7% of the Chinese population are members of the CCP, but they rule with an iron fist. No dissent is tolerated and ethnic cleansing is common. Their treatment of Tibet is shameful. So you will never hear the rape allegation again from the tennis player unless she manages to escape with her entire family.
I understand, No Chores. I was being sarcastic and am fully aware of what's going on in Hong Kong and China. My father-in-law grew up in Hong Kong, and I've been there several times. It is (or I should say was) one of my favorite cities to visit. We adopted all four of our children from China. I keep up with what's happening over there.

I have little doubt that the Chinese government has locked up the tennis player and won't release her until she recants her previous statements. That's how they handle things. Freedom of expression doesn't exist. Just ask Daryl Morey.

Now I'll wait for EvanstonCat to show up and tell us how we don't really understand and that the CCP leadership is simply a bunch of generous, selfless technocrats.

I understand, No Chores. I was being sarcastic and am fully aware of what's going on in Hong Kong and China. My father-in-law grew up in Hong Kong, and I've been there several times. It is (or I should say was) one of my favorite cities to visit. We adopted all four of our children from China. I keep up with what's happening over there.

I have little doubt that the Chinese government has locked up the tennis player and won't release her until she recants her previous statements. That's how they handle things. Freedom of expression doesn't exist. Just ask Daryl Morey.
I feel much better after heating this. No doubt in my mind that your children are doing well.

Reactions: NU Houston
I feel much better after heating this. No doubt in my mind that your children are doing well.
Thanks, they are doing well. All four were special needs adoptions, and they get a chance in life in this country that just isn't available for them over there.

By the way, Taiwan's not part of China either. 😬

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT