ADVERTISEMENT

Who Hates Collins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid article by ESPN, naming Chris Collins as one of 10 coaches proving "haters" wrong. Sinful to have him mentioned in the same list as Tom Crean! Other than Felis, who hates CCC?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/110319/coaching-proving-haters-wrong
People hate Duke guys.... especially white Duke guys. Collins is still seen as a Duke guy by the national audience. Collins, Wojo, Mike Brey, and Bobby Hurley are out there. Of all those, Collins seems the most "Duke" of them all.

Stupid article by ESPN, naming Chris Collins as one of 10 coaches proving "haters" wrong. Sinful to have him mentioned in the same list as Tom Crean! Other than Felis, who hates CCC?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/110319/coaching-proving-haters-wrong

As you well know, there's still certain twitter(ers) who say very little positive but are quick to jump on the negative even if there isn't one. While it would be entertaining to quote some of the twitter posts from this season, it would only fan the flames and accomplish nothing.

Needless to say though, there is still some heavy bitterness toward the coaching change, even now when things look so strongly on the upswing...

Whether or not you were a fan of Bill Carmody (and I was a fan), I think its fair to say the Collins appears to be going in the right direction with a chance of getting the destination in this season or the next two. NCAA expectations are tempered for this season only due to the injuries which limit the ceiling of the team but not the floor. The floor is the NIT, the ceiling remains the NCAA but that requires upsets and without Law and Olah those are more difficult to come by, but not impossible. If Demps figures it out then an upset or two could come the Cats way.

I will now tell you why Collins could be hated . . . emotion. If you were at the Wisconsin game, at about the six minute mark, Collins was imploring the fans to stand up a cheer on defense. He was showing pure emotion for his club and I could see how opposing fans would really not like that. He was jumping around and waving his arms to get the crowd going. Collins also is not shy in going to the refs. This might make him look like a whiner to opposing fans. Then there is the Duke factor and the fact his dad attends the games and the fact that Collins appears to have a little bit of Harbaugh to him.

But I'll take every bit of it and then some. Since Collins has taken over, the only player who has not consistently shown improvement is Demps and this looks like a mental slump more than anything. All of the players have show increased athleticism and have improved during the season. Van Zegren and Pardon seem to get better every time they come on the floor. Collins' recruits are already the heart of the team and all of them are big ten players. At a school where fans are used to projects he has every recruit playing minutes from day one. Imagine if next years class continues this trend, and there is no reason not too. And then look at the targets for 2017.

Collins appears to have NU positioned to climb to the next level. That NU is 3-2 without two starters in the Big10 is an accomplishment for any big ten team. There are 5 more games where NU will be the favorite. The question is can they find the 6th or 7th win to get the team to 9-9 or 10-8.

Reactions: Palindrome
As you well know, there's still certain twitter(ers) who say very little positive but are quick to jump on the negative even if there isn't one. While it would be entertaining to quote some of the twitter posts from this season, it would only fan the flames and accomplish nothing.

All the more reason why I don't use Twitter. Not interested in their negativity either. This is a fun season, enjoy the ride!

Then there is the Duke factor and the fact his dad attends the games and the fact that Collins appears to have a little bit of Harbaugh to him..

Huh??? What do you see that resembles Harbaugh? Collins is well spoken, thoughtful and a straight shooter. I see them as polar opposites.

Very bizarre article. All of the other names on the list give reasons why the coach might be mistrusted or "hated" but Collins' segment says nothing like that. Which makes sense, anecdotally, since I've never heard of anyone that dislikes Chris Collins or thinks he's a bad coach or wants him gone.

Whether or not you were a fan of Bill Carmody (and I was a fan), I think its fair to say the Collins appears to be going in the right direction with a chance of getting the destination in this season or the next two. NCAA expectations are tempered for this season only due to the injuries which limit the ceiling of the team but not the floor. The floor is the NIT, the ceiling remains the NCAA but that requires upsets and without Law and Olah those are more difficult to come by, but not impossible. If Demps figures it out then an upset or two could come the Cats way.

I will now tell you why Collins could be hated . . . emotion. If you were at the Wisconsin game, at about the six minute mark, Collins was imploring the fans to stand up a cheer on defense. He was showing pure emotion for his club and I could see how opposing fans would really not like that. He was jumping around and waving his arms to get the crowd going. Collins also is not shy in going to the refs. This might make him look like a whiner to opposing fans. Then there is the Duke factor and the fact his dad attends the games and the fact that Collins appears to have a little bit of Harbaugh to him.

But I'll take every bit of it and then some. Since Collins has taken over, the only player who has not consistently shown improvement is Demps and this looks like a mental slump more than anything. All of the players have show increased athleticism and have improved during the season. Van Zegren and Pardon seem to get better every time they come on the floor. Collins' recruits are already the heart of the team and all of them are big ten players. At a school where fans are used to projects he has every recruit playing minutes from day one. Imagine if next years class continues this trend, and there is no reason not too. And then look at the targets for 2017.

Collins appears to have NU positioned to climb to the next level. That NU is 3-2 without two starters in the Big10 is an accomplishment for any big ten team. There are 5 more games where NU will be the favorite. The question is can they find the 6th or 7th win to get the team to 9-9 or 10-8.
Ah, Fitz does the same. There are a few posters who expressed there opinion here previously are now absent. While I don't know if hate is the word that feel towards Collins, they are certainly a bit disappointed that he seems to have the program getting stronger with each recruiting class, then the previous staff did.

Raising hand.

I hate Laettner. I hate Ferry. I hate Wojo. I hate Redick. I hate Amaker. I hate Battier. If you played at Duke, I hate you. Except when you play Kentucky.

I hated Collins. Then I had the chance to meet him during Bryant's recruitment. The first time I talked to him I walked away and told my buddy, "Well that sucked!" He said, "What sucked?" I said, "Collins is a really nice guy. That just totally f****d up everything I thought about him."

A lot of people close to Bryant really wanted IU to offer and for him to go there, including me. In hindsight, I'm thrilled that he's in Evanston surrounded by a great coaching staff and great teammates. He made a terrific choice.

By the way, did I mention that I hate Wojo?

Huh??? What do you see that resembles Harbaugh? Collins is well spoken, thoughtful and a straight shooter. I see them as polar opposites.

I don't think they are polar opposites at all. From an intensity standpoint I think they are equals. All I was trying to express is that this is a reason I could see for people not liking Collins. I'm not in that camp at all. While I don't know Collins, I know people who have known him since he was a kid and they have nothing but good things to say.

As a fan of the program, it's really difficult not to like him. I think he is almost always a good interview. He appears to be thoughtful and sincere in his responses. On the sideline, he is generally calm but definitely can get emotional, which I like in a coach. I appreciate that he doesn't bitch to the ref's constantly. In the games I have attended, he has usually called them by name when he thinks we got screwed and said something to the effect of "if you called that foul on us then you have to call it on them too" I think the ref's know and respect him. As for the players, he tends to yell a lot when we are playing an inferior opponent and be pretty supportive when we are playing better teams. The players seem to like him and believe in him. I wasn't sure what to expect from him when he was hired (because of his Duke background) but I couldn't be more impressed.

Reactions: Dugan15
If you were at the Wisconsin game, at about the six minute mark, Collins was imploring the fans to stand up a cheer on defense. He was showing pure emotion for his club and I could see how opposing fans would really not like that. He was jumping around and waving his arms to get the crowd going.

(Too long)

I'll 'fess up. I'm a longtime Duke hater, and CC has soooooo many of those traits that I often have mixed emotions.

On Wednesday night, I was going to comment on the sideline cheerleading that Max talks about, but I blew it off.

HOWEVER, since he brought it up ... :D

The Wisconsin game wasn't the first time.

I get it. The crowd is Cameron dead and he's BEGGING for them (us) to be into the game - to be a presence. If the histrionics only happened once or twice a game, I'd love it.

However, for me, CC, his coaches and the bench concentrate WAY too much on the crowd and cheerleading activities. They were consistently turning toward the crowd for most of the last four or five minutes of a tight game.

And that "Hulkster"-like scream and muscle flex that is becoming a regular part of the routine is so ... yes, I'll say it ... Chrissy.

I'll quote another NU coach: "Act like you've been there" - especially when you really haven't done much.

Does it lessen my respect for:

1) The incredible recruiting job he's done?
2) The fact that this is part of the psychology of winning that every winning program has?
3) The idea that he obviously has a good idea the steps and details it takes to win at this level?
4) The hell of a job he's doing with a depleted team this year?
4) That he brings a passion, energy and excitement that every fan wants - no matter how obnoxious?
5) The NU leap of faith he took in taking the gig.

Not for a second.

If I'm honest with myself, I look at CC as a far lesser degree of so many sports schmucks - Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Bob Knight, John Calipari, Clay Matthews, Randy Moss, Dennis Rodman and yes, Michael Jordan. (The list is endless.)

I hate them when they're on the other team, but I roll my eyes every once in a while and love them when they're on my team. Better my as*(&h*le, than your a&sh*le.

I attended the game vs Georgia Tech last year. The Cats dug a huge hole before cutting it to a one point game with three minutes to go. I was literally screaming for people to get up and cheer. No wonder Collins has to cheer lead.

I respected BC for his brilliant basketball mind. He was capable of taking undermanned teams to victories over far superior teams, using "gimmick" offenses and defenses. I always attributed NU's lack of overall success to a lack of talent due to NU's restrictive admission standards.I resented the few posters who continually battered BC because I didn't think they understood how successful NU really was with the limited talent on BC's roster.It is now clear that BC was not an enthusiastic or effective recruiter

I was afraid that CC would try to play "Duke Basketball" with traditional NU talent and there was no way that would be successful. CC has elevated the talent level on the team and NU now plays a more traditional brand of basketball with encouraging results. I also appreciate that he has "abandoned" man to man for the time being as it was plainly obvious that NU could not defend the more athletic players.

NU's basketball future is brighter than anytime in the recent past as success is always dependent on talent.. CC is improving the talent level each year and he now seems capable of getting NU to the dance in my lifetime

(Too long)

I'll 'fess up. I'm a longtime Duke hater, and CC has soooooo many of those traits that I often have mixed emotions.

On Wednesday night, I was going to comment on the sideline cheerleading that Max talks about, but I blew it off.

I get it. The crowd is Cameron dead and he's BEGGING for them (us) to be into the game - to be a presence. If the histrionics only happened once or twice a game, I'd love it.

However, for me, CC, his coaches and the bench concentrate WAY too much on the crowd and cheerleading activities. They were consistently turning toward the crowd for most of the last four or five minutes of a tight game.

And that "Hulkster"-like scream and muscle flex that is becoming a regular part of the routine is so ... yes, I'll say it ... Chrissy.

I'll quote another NU coach: "Act like you've been there" - especially when you really haven't done much.

Does it lessen my respect for:

1) The incredible recruiting job he's done?
2) The fact that this is part of the psychology of winning that every winning program has?
3) The idea that he obviously has a good idea the steps and details it takes to win at this level?
4) The hell of a job he's doing with a depleted team this year?
4) That he brings a passion, energy and excitement that every fan wants - no matter how obnoxious?
5) The NU leap of faith he took in taking the gig.

Not for a second.

If I'm honest with myself, I look at CC as a far lesser degree of so many sports schmucks - Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Bob Knight, John Calipari, Clay Matthews, Randy Moss, Dennis Rodman and yes, Michael Jordan. (The list is endless.)

I hate them when they're on the other team, but I roll my eyes every once in a while and love them when they're on my team. Better my as*(&h*le, than your a&sh*le.

So I'm not a huge fan of Chris' sideline behavior either. I'd like it if he didn't scream "Get your head out of your (butt)" at a scorekeeper a few games ago ... that was something that any amateur TV lipreader could decipher. This isn't the Bob Knight era anymore.

I'd only add two things to your post. Doug Collins behaved the same way early in his career and ended up burning out with the Bulls, according to most accounts, because he was too emotional. Of course, Doug is the TV producer's dream now as a stressed-out dad in the stands. So it's a family thing.

The other is CC seems to have a good sense of when he needs to fire up his own team. At the Maryland game, the atmosphere was energetic enough that he went the other way. I noticed how calm he seemed even as we were getting buried in the first half. Wisconsin was a different atmosphere and we needed to maintain our intensity as they pushed back in the last few minutes with the press.

Overall, I think he's been a great coach and you can clearly see the path he's laid to consistently winning one day. But at times, he does need to tone it down.

I'd like it if he didn't scream "Get your head out of your (butt)" at a scorekeeper
Well, maybe the scorekeeper should have gotten his head out of his ass.

I like the CC passion.

I don't like the snotty 100 level fans' lack of passion...and their propensity to sell tickets to the opposition.

Most importantly, I like that UW had 3 fouls called against in the first half vs. 18+ in the second. Clearly, working the refs worked out there.

So I'm not a huge fan of Chris' sideline behavior either. I'd like it if he didn't scream "Get your head out of your (butt)" at a scorekeeper a few games ago ... that was something that any amateur TV lipreader could decipher. This isn't the Bob Knight era anymore.

I'd only add two things to your post. Doug Collins behaved the same way early in his career and ended up burning out with the Bulls, according to most accounts, because he was too emotional. Of course, Doug is the TV producer's dream now as a stressed-out dad in the stands. So it's a family thing.

The other is CC seems to have a good sense of when he needs to fire up his own team. At the Maryland game, the atmosphere was energetic enough that he went the other way. I noticed how calm he seemed even as we were getting buried in the first half. Wisconsin was a different atmosphere and we needed to maintain our intensity as they pushed back in the last few minutes with the press.

Overall, I think he's been a great coach and you can clearly see the path he's laid to consistently winning one day. But at times, he does need to tone it down.

A few notes to add here...

I was going to bring up his berating of the guy at the scorer's table, too. That was out of line. He let his competitiveness and emotion get the better of him there. I'll bet he apologized later.

Doug Collins not only wore out his welcome in Chicago -- the same thing happened in Detroit and Philly, too. The guy is too emotional and intense for the long haul. He takes losses way too hard for an 82-game NBA season. (He just seems so miserable when he's coaching. I love him as a broadcaster and I hope he stays there--for his own sake.) I see some of Doug in Chris, but not too much. Chris is a lot more even tempered.

I am an unabashed Duke hater, and I REALLY hated Chris Collins as a player. He was a heckuva player but also a whiner, in my eyes. He's up there on my Mt. Rushmore of Hated Dookies, along with Christian Laettner, JJ Redick and Wojo.

All that said, I love the guy now and couldn't be happier that he's NU's coach. I think NU has one of the best young coaches in the game and I believe that he's going to get the program to the Promised Land -- and soon. I just hope NU can hold onto him and he wants to stay in the Chicago area.

(Too long)

Collins talked about this a bit in his post-game comments (linked--start at 4:18). Here's what he said:

"I got a little sweaty trying to get our fans to stand up... Look, I just want our guys to know that I'm in the fight with them. And, you know, that's all it is. Sometimes I feel they need my energy out there. You know, it was a hard fought game. You know, those guys know that I have their back. And my staff has their back."

I get this. Back when I lived in Chicago, I was a "Purple Seater." I know our fans. I appreciate the college basketball heaven that Collins comes from...and what NU players hope for from their fans. The players are bringing the energy. They want/expect the fans to appreciate their hard play and reciprocate by standing and acting like real college basketball fans. The staff's focus on the crowd is really just a demonstration of support and a way of trying to motivate their players. I like it.

Last edited:
when i look back on it, BC was bad. Shurna was good and he provided the brief anomoly to an otherwise awful nu program. BCs recruiting was dreadful. Even today, we are talking about a bc recruit in olah vs pardon.

Lumpkin and taphorn are lesser players than CC players. i wonder if tap or SL even play if Law was healthy.

when i look back on it, BC was bad. Shurna was good and he provided the brief anomoly to an otherwise awful nu program. BCs recruiting was dreadful. Even today, we are talking about a bc recruit in olah vs pardon.

Lumpkin and taphorn are lesser players than CC players. i wonder if tap or SL even play if Law was healthy.

Ugh, Turk. BC is the winningest coach in NU basketball history. He took us to the NIT 4 of his 5 last seasons. (NU had only made the NIT twice before he arrived.) In terms of average minutes per game, BC recruited 3 of our top 4 current players--even 3 years into CC's reign. Olah is one of the best centers in the B1G. Sanjay Lumpkin is 3rd on the team in minutes played.

Look, I am thrilled about CC as a coach and the direction of NU basketball... But don't shit on BC. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Ugh, Turk. BC is the winningest coach in NU basketball history. He took us to the NIT 4 of his 5 last seasons. (NU had only made the NIT twice before he arrived.) In terms of average minutes per game, BC recruited 3 of our top 4 current players--even 3 years into CC's reign. Olah is one of the best centers in the B1G. Sanjay Lumpkin is 3rd on the team in minutes played.

His recruiting certainly wasn't dreadful. Guys like Jitim, Vedran, Coble, Shurna, Juice, etc. were able to play with anyone. His problem was an inability to fill out his roster with B1G-quality depth, something Collins is doing a much better job of.

I expect Collins to surpass Carmody's accomplishments -- really -- but honestly, the guy was our best coach since the 1930s. He deserves some respect.

Oh god, why am I talking about this again...

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
His recruiting certainly wasn't dreadful. Guys like Jitim, Vedran, Coble, Shurna, Juice, etc. were able to play with anyone.

Jitim was a KON recruit. The other guys you listed are definitely the cream of the crop of BC recruits. Also, one of BC's best players late in his tenure wasn't exactly a recruit either as he was a walk-on (Hearn).

Carmody did some things well, but I'm not sure you can say recruiting is one of them. There's a long list of very questionable (in terms of talent) recruits during his run.

4IONFwH.gif

I think people might be confusing me with someone else? I don't hate Collins (actually love him). I don't send tweets. Someone else using DocCat as their name? I see a DocCatsfan, maybe him?

Anyway, I liked Carmody. I love Collins. He seems to inspire his players and get them prepared for games. His recruiting has been exceptional. There is no problem that can't be overcome by infusing talent. My 10 year old son's team is coming off back-to-back winless seasons. This year they are undefeated. The reason: two new players have joined the team who can shoot the lights out.

Carmody did some things well, but I'm not sure you can say recruiting is one of them. There's a long list of very questionable (in terms of talent) recruits during his run.

Oh, I'm not saying he was a great recruiter by any means, just that "dreadful" isn't really fair, especially compared to the achievements of some of his predecessors. Like I said, he usually ran a solid starting 5 out there, but there were always guys on the bench who didn't belong on Big Ten rosters. Collins already has a roster full of Big Ten players and he's working on securing and developing higher-level talent.

Why is it that doctors have to put their profession in their handle? Is it an ego thing? Or they are so consumed by their job they have no other identity? I don't see many handles like CorpExecutiveCat or MoneyManagerCat or VentureFundSleazyLawyerCat or equivalent. Inquiring minds want to know.

Why is it that doctors have to put their profession in their handle? Is it an ego thing? Or they are so consumed by their job they have no other identity? I don't see many handles like CorpExecutiveCat or MoneyManagerCat or VentureFundSleazyLawyerCat or equivalent. Inquiring minds want to know.
I think it's a question that answers itself.

Raising hand.

I hate Laettner. I hate Ferry. I hate Wojo. I hate Redick. I hate Amaker. I hate Battier. If you played at Duke, I hate you. Except when you play Kentucky.

I hated Collins. Then I had the chance to meet him during Bryant's recruitment. The first time I talked to him I walked away and told my buddy, "Well that sucked!" He said, "What sucked?" I said, "Collins is a really nice guy. That just totally f****d up everything I thought about him."

A lot of people close to Bryant really wanted IU to offer and for him to go there, including me. In hindsight, I'm thrilled that he's in Evanston surrounded by a great coaching staff and great teammates. He made a terrific choice.

By the way, did I mention that I hate Wojo?
Kelly: I went to UNC for grad school in the Grant Hill / Bobby Hurley / Thomas Hill / Cherokee Parks and yes, Chris Collins timeframe. I am with you. Your hate list missed Cherokee Parks. He is high on the list. I will admit it took me a while to get over my visceral reaction to cheering for Coach CC.

Reactions: Kelly_32
His recruiting certainly wasn't dreadful. Guys like Jitim, Vedran, Coble, Shurna, Juice, etc. were able to play with anyone. His problem was an inability to fill out his roster with B1G-quality depth, something Collins is doing a much better job of.

I expect Collins to surpass Carmody's accomplishments -- really -- but honestly, the guy was our best coach since the 1930s. He deserves some respect.

PleaseNot-this-thread-again_zpsd29a64aa.jpg

Frankly, I get no particular thrill or sense of importance from being a doctor. To me, it's just a job, like any job. Go in, do your thing, get out. Why did I put it in my handle? I wanted to put "Cat" in the name, like most people choose to do to connote their preferred team. I wanted to combine it with something personal about me, but nothing else really seemed to fit...."DadCat" , "HusbandCat", "GoingbaldCat".... You see the profession gets in there by default. Maybe we don't see more of it (like LawyerCat, or RegionalExecutiveCat) because these people aren't happy with their jobs?

Reactions: lunker35

Yes, BC was the tallest midget.

... the guy was our best coach since the 1930s. He deserves some respect.

My Carmody thing is well documented somewhere in the webosphere.

With that said, he deserves more than message-board respect. I truly hope there will be a Billy C Day one day relatively soon. I assume it will have to take place after Phillips departs.

He deserves a standing-O, the typical video tribute, a banquet with all his former players and something more permanent for his dedication and taking the program to another level.

That is all. Now back to 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT