ADVERTISEMENT

Why can’t NU be an O-line powerhouse?

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
This question came to mind because players like Teddy Prochazka are coming to town this weekend for the annual BBQ.

Assuming Anderson lives up to the hype in developing players, I don’t see any reason why NU can’t become a major player like Stanford and Wisconsin in bringing in top-tier O-linemen. My general feeling (but would love to see some data on this) is that they’re relatively more academically oriented than some other position groups — I look back to 2016 and see NU offered almost 20 tackles alone — especially among the top 20-25 at the positions. Already, we’ve seen that play out with Skoronski and Priebe.

Whereas NU may continue to face an uphill battle for some of the top skill-position players, I see no reason why OL can’t develop into a position of true strength for this team in the next 4-5 years, starting with the 2020 class.

This question came to mind because players like Teddy Prochazka are coming to town this weekend for the annual BBQ.

Assuming Anderson lives up to the hype in developing players, I don’t see any reason why NU can’t become a major player like Stanford and Wisconsin in bringing in top-tier O-linemen. My general feeling (but would love to see some data on this) is that they’re relatively more academically oriented than some other position groups — I look back to 2016 and see NU offered almost 20 tackles alone — especially among the top 20-25 at the positions. Already, we’ve seen that play out with Skoronski and Priebe.

Whereas NU may continue to face an uphill battle for some of the top skill-position players, I see no reason why OL can’t develop into a position of true strength for this team in the next 4-5 years, starting with the 2020 class.
Reasonable question. Don't forget IA. You have to start with better guys but then it is a matter of development and avoidance of injuries. We are starting to get better guys and now if they develop and stay free from injuries.... And with a better OL, some of the skill guys should follow

2011-2015 were classes that did not pan out as hoped for the most part. They were also 3 stars except for one or two. That's a risk with players of that rating range, they are projects.

If NU fans weren't excited about Coach Anderson previously, they must be after watching him recruit. The top OL recruits are excited.

I can hardly wait to see what difference we'll see on the field.

The NU Offense may still run many predictable plays into the DL, but when the OL is coached up, some of these plays might go for better gains than in previous years.

The stereotype of Olinemen used to be that they were more academically minded. Can't say that I have heard that expressed much lately.

Not sure how much of a chicken and egg proposition it is but
1) Talent
2) development (physical, technique and unity)
3) Reputation

Seems like Anderson has a bit recruiting chops. Does he have a personality that typical linemen identify with? Reputation of his own that he brings to NU? or Honeymoon glow?
Good talent seems to be in the pipeline recently and seems like we are being more aggressive with more high end recruits, Don't know why that didn't seem to the the case in the past.
We should see some evidence of development this year. It's Anderson's first year but he was able to hit the ground running having been with the program all last year. He knew more on his first day than most guys would about players, culture, and his personal moving/ start up stress should have been minimal.
Reputation not associated to Anderson personally will take a couple of years to prove but a good first year would be impressive.

The stereotype of Olinemen used to be that they were more academically minded. Can't say that I have heard that expressed much lately.

Not sure how much of a chicken and egg proposition it is but
1) Talent
2) development (physical, technique and unity)
3) Reputation

Seems like Anderson has a bit recruiting chops. Does he have a personality that typical linemen identify with? Reputation of his own that he brings to NU? or Honeymoon glow?
Good talent seems to be in the pipeline recently and seems like we are being more aggressive with more high end recruits, Don't know why that didn't seem to the the case in the past.
We should see some evidence of development this year. It's Anderson's first year but he was able to hit the ground running having been with the program all last year. He knew more on his first day than most guys would about players, culture, and his personal moving/ start up stress should have been minimal.
Reputation not associated to Anderson personally will take a couple of years to prove but a good first year would be impressive.

There might be a handful more "top flight" OL who are academically inclined, but the amount of elite talent that meets NU's standards isn't meaningfully more than at other positions.

More importantly, even the "academically minded" OL recruits typically (1) view themselves first and foremost as football players and (2) are going to have offers from all the "name" schools because elite OL are both so important and so rare.

So, while there may be a couple more qualified elite OL than other positions, that's pretty much all offset by the factors above.

Ok, I’m going to take a stab at a quick way to quantify how many OL are academically eligible for NU and otherwise considered “good fits.”

Here is the number of Top 25 players at their respective positions that NU offered per class, going back to 2013 and using the 247 Composite:

2020: 10 OT, 4 OG/C, 2 WR
2019: 5 OT, 4 OG/C, 4 WR
2018: 2 OT, 1 OG, 1 WR
2017: 2 OT, 3 OG/C, 2 WR
2016: 5 OT, 3 OG/C, 2 WR
2015: 1 OT, 3 OG/C, 2 WR
2014: 4 OT, 1 OG, 2 WR
2013: 2 OT, 3 OG/C, 0 WR

Not a perfect measure (each year has different needs, some guys like Lancaster were considered OL but moved to DL, etc.), but still seems pretty clear that NU is able to extend offers to more Top 25 tackles than Top 25 WR.

The difference of course is that NU is landing more now, notably with Skoronski and Priebe. (Slater, our best young lineman in some time, was ranked as the #32 OG. In the same class, Gerak was the #8 center.)

Reactions: Gladeskat
It wasn't that long ago--the aughts--where NU regularly put O linemen into the NFL. Strief, Essex, Ike Ndukwe, Ulrich, Keenan, Thiry, and Netter are some of the names from this era who at least went to an NFL camp. I think all of these guys made a roster at some point.
Coach Walker.

3 2021 4 star OLs are supposedly visiting today. Garret Dellinger, Teddy Prochazka and Bennett Pitcher. 4 star 2021 OT Drew Kendall also seems to have visited. It's a good sign to be receiving visits from a few top OLs early in the cycle

Reactions: DaCat
Can we be an offensive line powerhouse? Of course. If Stanford and Notre Dame can do it, then so can we.

However, it’s not solely on Anderson. We need the right strength and conditioning regimen to develop dominant Big Ten & NFL linemen. The jury’s still out there.

And our offensive coordinator needs to put them in a position to dominate once they’re physically and mentally able to. ND and Stanford have excellent coordinators that consistently put their linemen in a position to win their individual battles. Again, the jury’s still out on that.

I have very high hopes with the hiring of Anderson and the recent recruiting uptick. We’ll know in a season or two if other changes still need to be made to keep moving onwards and upwards.

Can we be an offensive line powerhouse? Of course. If Stanford and Notre Dame can do it, then so can we.

However, it’s not solely on Anderson. We need the right strength and conditioning regimen to develop dominant Big Ten & NFL linemen. The jury’s still out there.

And our offensive coordinator needs to put them in a position to dominate once they’re physically and mentally able to. ND and Stanford have excellent coordinators that consistently put their linemen in a position to win their individual battles. Again, the jury’s still out on that.

I have very high hopes with the hiring of Anderson and the recent recruiting uptick. We’ll know in a season or two if other changes still need to be made to keep moving onwards and upwards.
Well, the strength and conditioning guys turned Rashawn Slater into one of the biggest and best right tackles in the BIG. (Of course, this was under Cushing.) Looks like Slater is moving to RT this year, so it will be fun to see how he develops under Anderson.

Well, the strength and conditioning guys turned Rashawn Slater into one of the biggest and best right tackles in the BIG. (Of course, this was under Cushing.) Looks like Slater is moving to RT this year, so it will be fun to see how he develops under Anderson.
Fun or terrifying.

Reactions: No Chores
1) Slater was excellent as a true FY, Cushing had nothing to do with that.
2) He played RT his first two years, moving to LT this season. Edit your post.

Fitzphile beat me to it: Slater showed up as a stud and has not backslid. Our S&C staff has also done wonders for the defense, so credit where it’s due.

But I’m frankly tired of seeing our 4th and 5th year OL getting knocked on their asses in B1G games. That rarely, if ever, happened when Lilja was in charge.

1) He’s far FAR from the biggest tackles in the B1G.

2) Moving to LT.

Sorry about the typo - should have said LT. The point I was trying to make was that the strength and conditioning people put 25 pounds of good weight on him between his freshman and sophomore years, and at 314 he has excellent size for a right tackle in the Big. Maybe not so much as a left tackle.

It needs to be said that OL is a very difficult position to project from high school. Sure, there are maybe 30 or so guys each year in the entire country that already have a Big Ten body before they step on campus but the remainder are projects. Will the same guy be as agile as he was at 260 lbs in HS as when he’s 300+ lbs in college? There are more “busts” at this position than any other. Likewise, many walkons and 2 stars turn into starting players. The developmental program is far more crucial for the non-Alabama’s of the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT