ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't Ohio State have down years?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
And by down years, I mean losing seasons. Of course for Ohio State fans anything less than a conference championship is a down year.

The other mighties in our conference, Michigan, Penn St., and even Nebraska (two losing seasons under Callahan) have had down years in the last couple of decades.

The only losing season for Ohio State in recent years was 2011 and they still went to the Gator Bowl that season, so I'm not sure that counts. They went 6-6 in 1999 but that's not a losing season. Close but no cigar.

What is it that Ohio State does differently? I would think that just by pure luck they'd have a down year at least occasionally?

And by down years, I mean losing seasons. Of course for Ohio State fans anything less than a conference championship is a down year.

The other mighties in our conference, Michigan, Penn St., and even Nebraska (two losing seasons under Callahan) have had down years in the last couple of decades.

The only losing season for Ohio State in recent years was 2011 and they still went to the Gator Bowl that season, so I'm not sure that counts. They went 6-6 in 1999 but that's not a losing season. Close but no cigar.

What is it that Ohio State does differently? I would think that just by pure luck they'd have a down year at least occasionally?

I don't think there's any big secret to it. They spend a hell of a lot more money than most schools and I imagine they have just slightly lower admission standards than NU. Plus, it's almost every decent Ohio football players dream to play for the Buckeyes, and Ohio is a good football state. Now they've added the evil empire reach of Meyer.

OSU football is a religion in Ohio. Having grown up there, nothing can compare to what Ohioans feel for their football. Well, maybe SEC people would disagree. But money, passion for the team, and a rich talent base make for a successful program year in and year out.

Reactions: Dugan15
OSU football is a religion in Ohio. Having grown up there, nothing can compare to what Ohioans feel for their football. Well, maybe SEC people would disagree. But money, passion for the team, and a rich talent base make for a successful program year in and year out.
Different from Michigan, Penn St., and Nebraska?

Of all the states in the BIG footprint prior to the most recent expansion, probably over 50% of all the blue chip players were from Ohio. With the push on them to go to OSU, they have their pick. That gives a consistent talent base that no one else has. Add to it some of the other advantages that the FB factories have and they just do it better. Also their economy has not had the up and down nature of some of the other states like Mich. And there are a lot of good coaches that have come out of Ohio MAC schools and others as well. THey have had their pick there as well.

Michigan and Pennsylvania have a second historically strong Power 5 team. But PSU is pretty close in terms of their alumni base.

Nebraska is too small, they get the most bang from their population but struggle against the big states.

What is it that Ohio State does differently? I would think that just by pure luck

Neb, Mich, and PSU have all had coaching problems, while OSU hasn't, during the past 12 years.

Uh, Luke Fickell ring a bell? Unlike NU, OSU recognized quickly that he wasn't head coach material and took appropriate actions to get a legitimate HC......

Uh, Luke Fickell ring a bell? Unlike NU, OSU recognized quickly that he wasn't head coach material and took appropriate actions to get a legitimate HC......

Have you forgotten what "Interim" means?

I believe that Ohio State is a perennial power due to being the single dominant flagship school in a relatively populous state with strong high school football. Unlike the other power football states (Texas, Florida, California, Georgia), Ohio State has no in-state peer. Pennsylvania comes close to matching Ohio State's instate domination in a power football state, but Pitt has had eras where it is strong nationally.

Ohio State does have losing seasons - they are just further apart like the other big time college football powerhouses. Michigan and Nebraska actually had longer streaks with non-losing seasons than Ohio State until relatively recently. In 2008, when Michigan went 3-9, which ended a streak of 40 straight non-losing seasons. Nebraska did not have a losing season 42 years in a row from 1962 to 2003. Penn State went 49 seasons without a losing record (1939 to 1988). Ohio State HAS periodically had losing seasons but they run about once every generation (2011, 1988, 1966) recently. Even not counting the 2011 Gator Bowl 6-7 season, it would still be only 26 non-losing seasons which would still not be in the top 15 in history (although I think the bowl game would count and then also the 2010 season was technically 0-1 due to vacated victories). There are other national football powers that have had longer streaks of non-losing seasons than the Buckeyes, including at least one that is still active (Florida State has not had a losing season since 1976 or 38 consecutive non-losing seasons).

Basically, Ohio State has a strong powerbase that results in them being a national powerhouse; but historically they are an "average" national powerhouse.

Yes, though Nebraska comes close. While UM has to deal with MSU fans within its own borders and PSU has the likes of Pitt, OSU is really the only show in the state of Ohio. With 11.6 million people in Ohio compared to 1.8 million in Nebraska, the effect is much more pronounced for the Buckeyes than for the Huskers.

In addition to the above mentioned (accept for the comment about the lower academic requirements, as many program with lower academic standards have a lot of losing seasons), OSU has been fortunate to have a string of very good coaches.

Woody, Earl Bruce, John Cooper, Tressel, and Meyer. All very successful at other programs as well. The assistants have been equally impressive.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
In addition to the above mentioned (accept for the comment about the lower academic requirements, as many program with lower academic standards have a lot of losing seasons), OSU has been fortunate to have a string of very good coaches.

Woody, Earl Bruce, John Cooper, Tressel, and Meyer. All very successful at other programs as well. The assistants have been equally impressive.

I'm sure there are schools with lower recruiting standards than Ohio State, but NU obviously would have a shot at more recruits if our standards were similar, so that does make a difference where we're concerned.

I'm sure there are schools with lower recruiting standards than Ohio State, but NU obviously would have a shot at more recruits if our standards were similar, so that does make a difference where we're concerned.

The OP asked why OSU hasn't had down years. Not why hasn't OSU had down years in relation to Northwestern having down years. Academic standards may be part of the reasons for NU. It's not like OSU has has the bottom 10% or even the bottom 50% in academic standards.

In the equation comparing OSU to all other college football teams, the academic variable has no major significance. Tradition, resources, recruiting base, coaches, and the competition (or in some seasons the lack of) within the conference does.

OSU is a massive machine. A lot of talented players go there and never see the field. THe competition on the team is stiff to the benefit of the cream of the crop. Top dollar recruiting budget, top dollar facility, top dollar staff, tons of support in a state that has a lot more going for it than it's reputation suggests.
I just heard that OHIO has voted for every president ever elected. That has nothing to do with football but if true, it has a lot to do with America.

The OP asked why OSU hasn't had down years. Not why hasn't OSU had down years in relation to Northwestern having down years. Academic standards may be part of the reasons for NU. It's not like OSU has has the bottom 10% or even the bottom 50% in academic standards.

In the equation comparing OSU to all other college football teams, the academic variable has no major significance. Tradition, resources, recruiting base, coaches, and the competition (or in some seasons the lack of) within the conference does.

I also listed financial support and talent base. Academics was only one thing I mentioned. Ohio State would be a good program in any case, but I certainly don't think it's a stretch to say they'd have more down years if they had NU's academic standards.

Are you being serious?

THEY C H E A T

Coaching. Plain and simple.

(ignore for now whether the coaches cheat - just if they win, s'il vous plait)

If you look at the last SIXTY years, their coaches have been some of the most successful of all time. When they hired Urban Meyer after that Tressel/Happy Gilmore (Fickel) debacle, it wasn't just 'home run hire'. It was a 'grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of the world series hire'

I am starting to lose hope that Fitz is the person to continue OUR recent string of good coaches. He is really struggling.

Coaching. Plain and simple.

(ignore for now whether the coaches cheat - just if they win, s'il vous plait)

If you look at the last SIXTY years, their coaches have been some of the most successful of all time. When they hired Urban Meyer after that Tressel/Happy Gilmore (Fickel) debacle, it wasn't just 'home run hire'. It was a 'grand slam in the bottom of the ninth inning of the world series hire'

I am starting to lose hope that Fitz is the person to continue OUR recent string of good coaches. He is really struggling.

John Cooper was no great strategist, and he did very well at Ohio State. Recruiting is the name of the game. Fitz might not be any Urban or Woody Hayes, but he'd have multiple 9-10 win seasons or better if he had the type of talent they get at Ohio State.

I also listed financial support and talent base. Academics was only one thing I mentioned. Ohio State would be a good program in any case, but I certainly don't think it's a stretch to say they'd have more down years if they had NU's academic standards.

Absolutely OSU would have more down years if It had Northwestern's academic requirements. Even Stanford, the program many of you seem to aspire to become has down years. But that's not a fault of OSU or any other program. That is a choice that NU has made in consistency with their overall academic mission.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't call Cooper a great game coach either, but he was a very good manager of his assistants (as in he knew how to hire good ones and then step out of their way), and he did make the Buckeyes more of a National Brand in terms of exposure and recruiting. That paved the way for some very good teams in the 90's.

Before deferring Hayes to a "he won because of the talent coach" (and I know that isn't what you were trying to say pawildcat), OSU was called the graveyard of coaches before he came there for a reason.

I think Fickell gets a bad rap. He was on a trajectory of becoming a head coach in the future when the OSU position dropped in his lap. Obviously he wasn't quite ready, but what also was a factor was that due to the suspensions from Tattoogate, it's hard to win when you go I to the season missing what you expected to be your starting QB, starting running back, number one receiver, starting left tackle, and a d-lineman from the two deep. Then start a true freshman QB. 6-6 isn't that bad of a season.

With Meyer it wasn't just a grandslam. It was a grandslam off of a hanging curveball. Meyer, an Ohio native, even being available when you have an interim head coach who didn't lead the team to a double digit win season and bowl victory, was served up perfectly for OSU.

Reactions: Dugan15
Absolutely OSU would have more down years if It had Northwestern's academic requirements. Even Stanford, the program many of you seem to aspire to become has down years. But that's not a fault of OSU or any other program. That is a choice that NU has made in consistency with their overall academic mission.

I don't think it's their "fault" that their requirements are what they are, but I think that is one of several reasons why they're less likely to have a down year than a team such as Stanford and NU. Stanford is probably having about as good a run as they've ever had.

OSU does not have down years because they successfully reruited 2-3 times the number of 4 and 5 star players as any other Big 10 team. With more 4 and 5 star players, you have more playmakers to make game winning plays (see Ezekial Elliot and Joey Bossa). Also, since Urban Meyer's arrival, OSU has been recruiting better on a national scale than I ever remember. In particular, Meyer has been successfully recruiting the southeast (Bossa from FL). Also, OSU has been successful under Meyer of developing their players and making good coaching decisions. Like in the OSU-NU game sending their best players (Bradley Roby) on the punt block team and blocking our punt because NU's punter (was it Brandon Williams) took too long to punt and giving OSU 7 free points in a tight game or realizing that NU's weakness was its DTs and running the inside run plays with Carlos Hyde all second half. That means that at worst OSU will have a 7-1 conference record and they usually only schedule 1 out of 4 challenging non-conference games. So that means 10 or 11 wins every season. Now with annual top 3-4 recruiting classes OSU is set up to be in the Final 4 playoff talk for years to come. The only team who might give them a hard time this season is a Connor Cook led MSU squad.

They eat Italian wedding soup, and plenty of it.

OSU is a massive machine. A lot of talented players go there and never see the field. THe competition on the team is stiff to the benefit of the cream of the crop. Top dollar recruiting budget, top dollar facility, top dollar staff, tons of support in a state that has a lot more going for it than it's reputation suggests.
I just heard that OHIO has voted for every president ever elected. That has nothing to do with football but if true, it has a lot to do with America.

:rolleyes:

Still waiting for Ohio State to have a down year. By Ohio State standards, I guess this qualifies as a down year since they missed the playoff.

John Cooper was no great strategist, and he did very well at Ohio State. Recruiting is the name of the game. Fitz might not be any Urban or Woody Hayes, but he'd have multiple 9-10 win seasons or better if he had the type of talent they get at Ohio State.
Uh...he does have multiple 9-10 win seasons...

What has been said about OSU is true regarding recruiting base, passion for football in the state, investment in resources and finances, etc... It iS also an advantage that within the state there is no other top tier college football program. There are other D1 programs, and some very successful Championship lower Divisions, but considering the population there is no deciding between Michigan and MSU, Pitt and PSU, or even a Notre Dame, Purdue, or Indiana.

I will say though the biggest difference is that OSU has been very fortunate with the coaches they've had in succession. Woody Hayes gave way to Earl Bruce who was an established coach who had taken 2 other teams to Bowl Games back in the day when it meant something to get into a Bowl Game. Then it was John Cooper who had trouble beating Michigan but he was a successful coach at Arizona State before coming to Columbus, was National recruiter back when most teams tended to recruit regionally, and he attracted top assistant coaches. Tressel was an unknown to those outside the football world but he won 5 National Championships at Youngstown State. The exception was Fickle but that was a unique situation and didn't last more than one season. Then of course they end up with Meyer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT