ADVERTISEMENT

Why we will beat Ioa

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Gary Barnett, the coach of Northwestern's 1995 team that went to the Rose Bowl, will be the Wildcats' honorary captain Saturday for the homecoming game against Iowa. Barnett will address the team on Friday. NU's tradition of redlettering Ioa and beating their asses regularly started under Barnett. Barnett always hated the Hawkeyes more than anyone.

We will be wearing the Purple and the Black.

We will be extremely pissed off after the embarrassing Michigan debacle.

We are still the same team that shut down top 25 teams in Stanford and Duke.

We have some injuries, but Ioa is even more injured.

It is Ioa and they are our bitch.

Gary Barnett, the coach of Northwestern's 1995 team that went to the Rose Bowl, will be the Wildcats' honorary captain Saturday for the homecoming game against Iowa. Barnett will address the team on Friday. NU's tradition of redlettering Ioa and beating their asses regularly started under Barnett. Barnett always hated the Hawkeyes more than anyone.

We come in this game relateively healthy...minus Harris.
But i believe our wr will b forced to win this game as iowa will force thorson to beat them. The michigan scheme will b seen from here on out since our wideouts drop the pill left and right.
Thorson has had very very good accuracy but it hasnt mattered. Hopefully mccall me maybe will revert back to the first down pass.

Too close to call. Someone will have to make a play.

Can we also make Barnett our offensive coordinator for Saturday's homecoming game? Would the rules allow that?

If you beat Iowa, it will probably largely be due to us missing our starting RB, best WR, starting TE, starting RT and LT and now the loss of our best defensive player in DE Drew Ott.

I still like our chances on Saturday because you guys aren't going to be able to score much on us. Just hope both teams come out the other end of this one without any further injuries.

Can we also make Barnett our offensive coordinator for Saturday's homecoming game? Would the rules allow that?
I am not sure that you would be pleased. I remember the offensive play calling under Barnett as not that different from now. Without a Bates at WR, I am not sure that we would see much change.

If we beat Iowa, it will be because we flippin' have to. Winning this game makes us relevant. Losing this game makes us irrelevant.

We are already in the play-offs.

E-Cat, fair is fair. After last year's debacle, we've no business calling them Ioa. If we want their "W" back, it's there for the taking . . . but until we DO, that "W" is theirs.

If you beat Iowa, it will probably largely be due to us missing our starting RB, best WR, starting TE, starting RT and LT and now the loss of our best defensive player in DE Drew Ott.

I still like our chances on Saturday because you guys aren't going to be able to score much on us. Just hope both teams come out the other end of this one without any further injuries.
BrewHawk - excuses on a Monday is poor, poor form. I expect a good game, the 10-7-type clash. It should be stated that NU will have trouble scoring, and likely will need help from a D/ST touchdown or a mostly out-of-character big play.

I wasn't aware that the AIRBHG was still smoldering. Is Canzieri out? That dude is legit

BrewHawk - excuses on a Monday is poor, poor form. I expect a good game, the 10-7-type clash. It should be stated that NU will have trouble scoring, and likely will need help from a D/ST touchdown or a mostly out-of-character big play.

I'm not making excuses as I still think Iowa will win despite the injuries.

If the Hawks were healthy I would expect a game like last year's.

I am not sure that you would be pleased. I remember the offensive play calling under Barnett as not that different from now. Without a Bates at WR, I am not sure that we would see much change.
Bates at WR allowed Barnett to play call the way he did. The problem is that we don't have a Bates to keep defenses honest. Not having Queiro or Harris, two of our biggest play makers on defense will limit our ability to generate points. In our previous games, both of those players were difference makers that took possessions off of our opponents. Our offense, and our team, will only be as successful as the game making ability of our defense. Without fumbles, Int's, or even special team returns, our offense will find it very difficult to generate points against Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. We are a power running team without a powerful offensive line. We also lack productivity at the wide receiver position. That's a big problem that we have to address in recruiting.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get blown out by Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Penn State, but then win against Illinois and Purdue. With the loss of Harris and Queiro, we are a much different team than when we faced Stanford. 7-5 is a real possibility but also not a bad season.

I wasn't aware that the AIRBHG was still smoldering. Is Canzieri out? That dude is legit

Canzeri is healthy, although for how long is up to question. He had 43 carries last week against Illinois. Canzer is a very nice back, good quickness and speed. Also a very capable receiver.

Canzeri is the #2 back. LeShun Daniels is the starter who's been out. He might play Saturday or they might just let him heal up entirely due to next week being our bye week.

Glide ,just thinking that your memory is a little off. Yes, it was a different era and the Cat's O was led by RB Autry but Barnett threw in a few trick plays and would love to have him making the OC calls in Evanston. Does the on-side kick-off to begin the 2nd half in the Rose Bowl jog your thoughts?

Last edited:

Referring to missing LeShun Daniels as Iowa missing it's starting RB is misleading and a bit disengenuous. Canzeri was predicted to receive a ton of opportunities and he and Daniels were both considered starter "quality." You want to say that Iowa sill has its Lightning RB but is missing the "bruiser" RB - fine. But many, including myself, considered Canzeri to be the overall bigger threat at RB.

Bates at WR allowed Barnett to play call the way he did. The problem is that we don't have a Bates to keep defenses honest. Not having Queiro or Harris, two of our biggest play makers on defense will limit our ability to generate points. In our previous games, both of those players were difference makers that took possessions off of our opponents. Our offense, and our team, will only be as successful as the game making ability of our defense. Without fumbles, Int's, or even special team returns, our offense will find it very difficult to generate points against Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. We are a power running team without a powerful offensive line. We also lack productivity at the wide receiver position. That's a big problem that we have to address in recruiting.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get blown out by Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Penn State, but then win against Illinois and Purdue. With the loss of Harris and Queiro, we are a much different team than when we faced Stanford. 7-5 is a real possibility but also not a bad season.
Not bad if you consider winning three games in the B1G good. I will reserve judgement on this until at least after Iowa, since I believe there is at least a chance we will beat Iowa (and then if so, at least three of the then remaining five), but if we don't, really how much different will this year be from last? A modest bowl game? Injury would be the excuse, and that shouldn't cut it any more. There will be other problems that need to be actually addressed this time.

Referring to missing LeShun Daniels as Iowa missing it's starting RB is misleading and a bit disengenuous. Canzeri was predicted to receive a ton of opportunities and he and Daniels were both considered starter "quality." You want to say that Iowa sill has its Lightning RB but is missing the "bruiser" RB - fine. But many, including myself, considered Canzeri to be the overall bigger threat at RB.

But odds are good he isn't going to take the pounding he's getting week in and week out. We need someone to split the carries with him or we're not going to have him healthy for the entire season.

It is Iowa and they are our bitch.

A bitch you have not beaten since 2012 and the Wildcats suffered a 48-7 arse kicking just last year against the Hawkeye's... so please pardon us if we insist on still playing the game on Saturday.

Not bad if you consider winning three games in the B1G good. I will reserve judgement on this until at least after Iowa, since I believe there is at least a chance we will beat Iowa (and then if so, at least three of the then remaining five), but if we don't, really how much different will this year be from last? A modest bowl game? Injury would be the excuse, and that shouldn't cut it any more. There will be other problems that need to be actually addressed this time.
It appears that our team may not be as good as #15 in the nation, but we can't really measure and conclude what happened last week until after the Iowa game. Stanford fans made that mistake after we controlled them. Not saying we will run the table, but we showed weaknesses that we can address. Not glaring weaknesses, but things that can be patched up and offer better results against Iowa or Wisconsin, imo. They addressed most of the defense last week after the second series and it locked Michigan's offense out of the endzone. On offense, I don't know what the answer is...that's a tough one. Previously, our offense was at least modestly ok with the help from special team plays and defensive plays/scores. But with Kyle and Harris out, those were two REALLY big playmakers, it's going to be a lot tougher to generate points from defense or get takeaways. Both of which is essential for our offense to progress.

It appears that our team may not be as good as #15 in the nation, but we can't really measure and conclude what happened last week until after the Iowa game. Stanford fans made that mistake after we controlled them. Not saying we will run the table, but we showed weaknesses that we can address. Not glaring weaknesses, but things that can be patched up and offer better results against Iowa or Wisconsin, imo. They addressed most of the defense last week after the second series and it locked Michigan's offense out of the endzone. On offense, I don't know what the answer is...that's a tough one. Previously, our offense was at least modestly ok with the help from special team plays and defensive plays/scores. But with Kyle and Harris out, those were two REALLY big playmakers, it's going to be a lot tougher to generate points from defense or get takeaways. Both of which is essential for our offense to progress.
That was my point, and it remains to be seen--can/will our offense progress? I do have faith that CT will be good, in time, but will the O line ever really be any better? Will the WR's really ever be any better. I mean this has been this way for at least two years now, what's to suggest a change? I'll now keep my mouth shut until after Iowa.

Canzeri is the #2 back. LeShun Daniels is the starter who's been out. He might play Saturday or they might just let him heal up entirely due to next week being our bye week.
If this LeShun Daniels is better than Canzeri he should just go pro now. Just to be clear, there is some thinly veiled sarcasm. You can't poor mouth that your RB is injured if the sub is on pace to gain 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns (including bowl stats, more if you play in the CCG). It would be like Ohio State bemoaning the loss of Miller last year after Barrett had torched a bunch of teams. You have a depth issue. It's not the same as "our starter is out and there is a big drop off to the next guy"

If this LeShun Daniels is better than Canzeri he should just go pro now. Just to be clear, there is some thinly veiled sarcasm. You can't poor mouth that your RB is injured if the sub is on pace to gain 1500 yards and 20 touchdowns (including bowl stats, more if you play in the CCG). It would be like Ohio State bemoaning the loss of Miller last year after Barrett had torched a bunch of teams. You have a depth issue. It's not the same as "our starter is out and there is a big drop off to the next guy"

Understood, but what you might not be aware of is that Canzeri has been held back for a majority of his career due to being consistently dinged. Then he has 43 carries last week and takes some pretty big shots during the course of the game and you might begin to see where my concerns are coming from. The kid is 5'9" 190 lbs. Not exactly built for punishment.

How is Jackson holding up? Kid is a great talent, but I would imagine the number of carries might be catching up to him as well.

That was my point, and it remains to be seen--can/will our offense progress? I do have faith that CT will be good, in time, but will the O line ever really be any better? Will the WR's really ever be any better. I mean this has been this way for at least two years now, what's to suggest a change? I'll now keep my mouth shut until after Iowa.
Unless this is a ten year building process of making our offense a smashmouth run offense, its killed us for 3 years now. We simply cant be strong enuf in recruiting to get the type of hogs upfront to think we can compete in the upper reaches of the BIG. If our defense didnssing but without a flank offense we will never compete thinking we can just do 3 yards and a cloud.

You sound like a bitch. In your best gay voice. Well, we are going to be wearing our purple and black because as you all know you don't wear white after labor day. We are extremely upset about getting our asses kicked. I like how you don't use the W in Iowa because we love to use NW as Northwestern and it pisses you little girls off.
Hawkeyedan, you hawk eye fans were doing so well and actually discussing the game instead of flaming until you came along. Nothing personal, you're just playing into the stereotype of a hawkeyefan that we have on this board (over the top obnoxious, for reasons no one can figure out). Someone pee in your coffee this morning? ECat wasn't flaming, he was just stating his reality. Plus it's our board.

Reactions: ichawk24
Unless this is a ten year building process of making our offense a smashmouth run offense, its killed us for 3 years now. We simply cant be strong enuf in recruiting to get the type of hogs upfront to think we can compete in the upper reaches of the BIG. If our defense didnssing but without a flank offense we will never compete thinking we can just do 3 yards and a cloud.
You lost me with "didnssing." Maybe it's Finnish for "didn't sing?" Why would we spend 10 years making a smash mouth run offense when we have proven we can recruit great wide receivers. What's the matter with trying to be the best passing team in the B1G, with a decent run game?

Glide ,just thinking that your memory is a little off. Yes, it was a different era and the Cat's O was led by RB Autry but Barnett trough in a few trick plays and would love him to be making the OC calls in Evanston. Does the on-side kick-off to begin the 2nd half in the Rose Bowl jog your thoughts?
I also remember one against Rice. But those are special teams, not offensive calls.

While those injuries could certainly have an impact on the game, I agree with the other poster that this is bad form for a Monday before the game. Opposing fans don't care about our excuses. This post sounds extremely whiny, unfortunately. Also, we've been without that starting RB, WR, TE, DE, and LT for a pretty big chunk of the first six games.

I'm not trying to jump all over you, you're usually a great poster imo.

Iowa is a good team, but NU will win this Saturday.

IOWA vs North--estern is the correct billing

That's how it stands at the moment. This game should become a trophy game featuring a large W for a trophy. You guys have tons of trophy games (w/ Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska), we only have the LOL Trophy game with ILOLinois

Reactions: SansSouci
NW needs this game more, and I think they will play that way. Hopefully Iowa can pull out a close slug fest type game ...

I think NW could lose 2 more games ... 1 either to Nebraska or PSU and then 1 to either Wisconsin or Illinois. Illinois is going to beat some teams, they have a legit D and their QB could get hot (they were much better than I expected).

While those injuries could certainly have an impact on the game, I agree with the other poster that this is bad form for a Monday before the game. Opposing fans don't care about our excuses. This post sounds extremely whiny, unfortunately. Also, we've been without that starting RB, WR, TE, DE, and LT for a pretty big chunk of the first six games.

I'm not trying to jump all over you, you're usually a great poster imo.

Thanks for the compliment. I think you may have missed my followup post. I think we win without those players. If we have them, it's another 48-7 type victory.

Northwestern's offense is not good, and they play a style that we should handle quite well. We may win 7-0 or 10-3, but I don't see the Cats scoring on us much. Barring catastrophic turnovers, of course.

Reactions: hoks2415
Cats will beat down Ioa with a vengeance... I hope. This team has marquee victories over Stanford and Duke, and winning against Ioa will be a good sign that last week's debacle against Mich-again was an aberration.

Iowa is without Daniels at RB, as you originally said, in who is injured for Iowa. Canzeri did indeed open season as third down and change of pace back. Like, his first start against Oklahoma in our 2011 bowl gr, he can help Iowa in both run and pass game.

Our QB is banged up after taking a bunch of massive shots late in the Illinois game due to a patch work offensive line. We are without our best tight end, wide receiver, defensive player and both starting tackles. We will be starting a true freshman at right tackle. I'm a die hard Iowa fan but it will be a miracle if Iowa wins this game. A program like Iowa does not have the depth to compensate for this many injuries to key players. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point.

If Nebraska continues to play at the level they are playing now, they will blow out no one.

Thanks for the compliment. I think you may have missed my followup post. I think we win without those players. If we have them, it's another 48-7 type victory.

Northwestern's offense is not good, and they play a style that we should handle quite well. We may win 7-0 or 10-3, but I don't see the Cats scoring on us much. Barring catastrophic turnovers, of course.

I doubt it. Football usually doesn't work that way. In this series, a 48-7 score is atypical. It happens when one team executes extraordinarily well while another lays an egg. Another example of this in the series is the 2006 game. Last year, Iowa played almost perfect football and we just couldn't get rolling. Though disgusted with the course of the game, I would find myself rewinding and admiring the almost perfect blocking Iowa had on many of their big plays. Iowa had a great game! The excellent play didn't last long, though, did it? Losses to UW (who we beat), Minnesota (you guys were blown out whereas we lose a tie game on a late KO return), Maryland, and Iowa State happened. Then you guys topped off the season with the excellent performance against Tennessee. The point being team execution can vary considerably from week to week, even at Iowa.

I expect a close game, even if your injured players were healthy. I think Beathard vs Thorson and the Iowa DL vs NU OL will be the key match-ups/comparisons in this game. Let's hope the game is injury free.

Our QB is banged up after taking a bunch of massive shots late in the Illinois game due to a patch work offensive line. We are without our best tight end, wide receiver, defensive player and both starting tackles. We will be starting a true freshman at right tackle. I'm a die hard Iowa fan but it will be a miracle if Iowa wins this game. A program like Iowa does not have the depth to compensate for this many injuries to key players. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point.

Sorry to hear about the injuries to Iowa's players. We went through two seasons of "ridiculous" numbers of injuries the past two years. Just keep Beathard healthy and you should be OK.

Iowa is without Daniels at RB, as you originally said, in who is injured for Iowa. Canzeri did indeed open season as third down and change of pace back. Like, his first start against Oklahoma in our 2011 bowl gr, he can help Iowa in both run and pass game.
Maybe it's just me, but I think Canzeri is a pretty damn good, gritty back. This kid Daniels must be something to see if Canzeri would've been sitting behind him. I'm not familiar with Daniels' injury; is there any chance he plays in this game?

Maybe it's just me, but I think Canzeri is a pretty damn good, gritty back. This kid Daniels must be something to see if Canzeri would've been sitting behind him. I'm not familiar with Daniels' injury; is there any chance he plays in this game?

Per this video summary of the Iowa Injury Report presser, "Daniels is out this week." Canzeri is claimed to have stated, [I am] "not that sore" , whatever that means. Anyway here is a link to the very candid summary that focuses mostly on QB Beathard "not looking good" and by observation, "Boy is that guy hurting" with references to his limping as he stepped out and his moving very "gingerly."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/videos/sports/college/iowa/iowa-football/2015/10/13/73885994/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT