ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have college football in September?

Titanium999

Jan 16, 2014
Lots of variables! I just don’t think the huge number of fans that we used to see will come out now. Also, not sure how sweat and heat affect the spreading of the virus! Lots of things to think about. I can see a shortened season for all college sports, including football and basketball, for starters. Whatcha think!

Lots of variables! I just don’t think the huge number of fans that we used to see will come out now. Also, not sure how sweat and heat affect the spreading of the virus! Lots of things to think about. I can see a shortened season for all college sports, including football and basketball, for starters. Whatcha think!

One solution, I read about was to eliminate non-conference games. Move the season back 3 or 4 weeks , by removing the bye-week and playing just a conference schedule.

If present day issues are evident in the fall. We will have much greater issues than football.

Reactions: BigCatFan19
One solution, I read about was to eliminate non-conference games. Move the season back 3 or 4 weeks , by removing the bye-week and playing just a conference schedule.
Do we have the same bye-week as Michigan state, since we are scheduled to play them the first weekend?

From what I'm hearing from a couple AD friends on the D3 level, probably not. Spoke with a Prof at the College I work at and they are saying fall 2020 is possibly happening only online. Summer school where I am is pretty much canceled.

My wife is on the front line with all of this. As of now, the most likely scenario is six months until the pandemic in the US cools off.
Seems to me that this virus will always be out there like a very serious flu. What hopefully will change is our capacity to test and contain; treat and survive.
If the whole nation has to stay locked down for 6 months we will begin to see non Covide related loss of life from suicide, crime, poverty, etc. It is really important that we flatten this curve out and then intelligently create a strategy of opening up society in a gradual fashion.
I wonder if it would be possible with disciplined testing and social distancing to have a quarantined football season that leans into TV and greatly restricts crowds.

Reactions: mikero3
If it appears in, say 2 months, that social distancing will still be a required protocol in September, my bet is that a task force will be put together to see how both pro and college football can be played this Fall. The psychological impact of required social distancing beyond more than a few months will be devastating to the nation. Football, both college and pro, will be seen as a tonic, albeit palliative, in troubled times.

If it appears in, say 2 months, that social distancing will still be a required protocol in September, my bet is that a task force will be put together to see how both pro and college football can be played this Fall. The psychological impact of required social distancing beyond more than a few months will be devastating to the nation. Football, both college and pro, will be seen as a tonic, albeit palliative, in troubled times.
Better to be devastated and healthy than having a palliative tonic that puts the players at risk. Having no fans in the stands is not the issue since there is no vaccine yet and they’re talking about a second wave.

Testing is key. With the capability to evaluate and isolate, we will be able to flatten the curve into the long term

Reactions: MRCat95
Testing is key. With the capability to evaluate and isolate, we will be able to flatten the curve into the long term
The fumbles on testing have and still are hurting our ability to get a handle on this thing. It doesn't look like we will be at full testing capability for weeks yet.

I know this is getting to be rant board stuff, but I did say fumbles.:cool:

Events are getting canceled more than 6 months out. One of my passions are showing and competing with my dog. Almost every AKC event is canceled 3 months out. Today our National Specialty has been canceled which is in October.

Events are getting canceled more than 6 months out. One of my passions are showing and competing with my dog. Almost every AKC event is canceled 3 months out. Today our National Specialty has been canceled which is in October.
I'm worried too. Just not sure what is next! We need football. But I don't like wjwh I see happening in Italy and Spain.

We need to get to a place very soon where everyone (including the healthy) can test and test frequently so we can selectively and quickly isolate those who have disease. About 20% of those who tested positive on the Diamond Cruise tested positive multiple times, were contagious and never developed even mild symptoms of any kind. A similar study in Japan estimated the zero symptom group in the 30% range. (This could even be much higher as you just don’t see what you’re not looking for.). There could be this massive group that already got it, recovered and didn’t even know it (and are now immune). We know all the numerator (deaths), but have really no idea what the denominators are in terms actual infections. Only more serious cases are generally being reported. Certainly very mild or asymptomatic are almost not being counted at all and we have very little idea what this is.

Right now, social distancing is our only tool and it’s a blunt instrument. We need more precise tools.
1) Immense testing for virus and antibodies (and fast isolation).
2) Better treatment. Something that can cut the ICU in half or by 75%.
3) Ultimately a vaccine starting with the elderly or vulnerable and working to everyone.

Life needs to return to quasi normal soon after we stop the infection from going parabolic. At some point, the economic and social costs of social distancing into perpetuities leads to more death (starvation, suicide, malnourishment, etc) and human suffering than than the damn virus. Assume it kills 5% of those it infects (at least those with meaningful enough symptoms to get counted/report) and it infects 50 million. That’s 2.5 MM dead. I’m pretty sure a lot more than 2.5 MM die as a result of a Great Depression (and alcoholism, suicide, starvation and other poverty related problems and problems that come with long term isolation).

Until a vaccine happens, a post lockdown period cannot ever be about perfect. All it can do is be a set of procedures (and common sense things like limiting large crowds, etc) designed to keep the days to double perpetually in the 14, 21 or 28 day time frame. It’s a somewhat manageable disease if we’re not all getting it at the same time.

We need to get to a place very soon where everyone (including the healthy) can test and test frequently so we can selectively and quickly isolate those who have disease. About 20% of those who tested positive on the Diamond Cruise tested positive multiple times, were contagious and never developed even mild symptoms of any kind. A similar study in Japan estimated the zero symptom group in the 30% range. (This could even be much higher as you just don’t see what you’re not looking for.). There could be this massive group that already got it, recovered and didn’t even know it (and are now immune). We know all the numerator (deaths), but have really no idea what the denominators are in terms actual infections. Only more serious cases are generally being reported. Certainly very mild or asymptomatic are almost not being counted at all and we have very little idea what this is.

Right now, social distancing is our only tool and it’s a blunt instrument. We need more precise tools.
3) Ultimately a vaccine starting with the elderly or vulnerable and working to everyone.

Life needs to return to quasi normal soon after we stop the infection from going parabolic. At some point, the economic and social costs of social distancing into perpetuities leads to more death (starvation, suicide, malnourishment, etc) and human suffering than than the damn virus. Assume it kills 5% of those it infects (at least those with meaningful enough symptoms to get counted/report) and it infects 50 million. That’s 2.5 MM dead. I’m pretty sure a lot more than 2.5 MM die as a result of a Great Depression (and alcoholism, suicide, starvation and other poverty related problems and problems that come with long term isolation).

Until a vaccine happens, a post lockdown period cannot ever be about perfect. All it can do is be a set of procedures (and common sense things like limiting large crowds, etc) designed to keep the days to double perpetually in the 14, 21 or 28 day time frame. It’s a somewhat manageable disease if we’re not all getting it at the same time.
Excellent post. We need to have a plan to deal with all ramifications of the virus. Pretty soon, it's gonna be hectic with a 15 trillion economy being dornant.

I just don't see football in the fall. Need a miracle soon.
There isnt going to be any football. Could you imagine the huge risk for players? And as a fan, I would have to get comfortable again in large crowds. You first!
In another topic, Dr Phillips just announced that the west lot will not only ban opposing fans but also all non essential fans.

Right on target. The denominator is NOT known because our testing sucks. The low number areas are low because there has been littlwe or no testing. Those who have been exposed and recovered have the key, or at least one key, to improve survival, i.e convalescent serum. Antibodies that makw the person immune in the future. The need for testing has never been stronger no matter what the cheeto says. And the social isolation DOES effect the mental health of all, not to mention the financial health of many who do not have a nest egg put away from which they can draw.

Right on target. The denominator is NOT known because our testing sucks. The low number areas are low because there has been littlwe or no testing. Those who have been exposed and recovered have the key, or at least one key, to improve survival, i.e convalescent serum. Antibodies that makw the person immune in the future. The need for testing has never been stronger no matter what the cheeto says. And the social isolation DOES effect the mental health of all, not to mention the financial health of many who do not have a nest egg put away from which they can draw.
Good points. All leading to a financial disaster for the Big Ten Conference. Look at a place like University of Michigan? Just don't see them filling up the seats next October

On a personal level I'm more concerned about HS football. My son will be senior next year. He'll be crushed if he misses out. I'm not optimistic.

There isnt going to be any football. Could you imagine the huge risk for players? And as a fan, I would have to get comfortable again in large crowds. You first!
In another topic, Dr Phillips just announced that the west lot will not only ban opposing fans but also all non essential fans.
I think we can be almost certain that college football will take a year off. NFL, not so sure but maybe half a season. The safety of the players depend upon practice as well. I doubt any such practices can be had until late fall. I also doubt that the NBA restarts their season on June 1st as tentatively suggested.
OTOH, I should be able to pick up some cheap condo now in Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT