ADVERTISEMENT

WMU Preview

WMU offense will be a good test for the Ant Horde. Thorson gets to test his off-season improvement against a decent, but not dominant, MAC defense. I trust Fitz will have the boys ready.

I didn't know that. When are the DDOS?
July 3 to Aug 11. It's a 40 day period (40 days comes up in the bible lots as well as a lot of ancient stuff). You have 20 days before and 20 days after the alignment of Sirius and the Sun as seen from the Mediterranean. Sirius is known as being the Dog Star as the prominent star in Canis Major. Thus, you have the dog days of summer.

Reactions: rmndcat
July 3 to Aug 11. It's a 40 day period (40 days comes up in the bible lots as well as a lot of ancient stuff). You have 20 days before and 20 days after the alignment of Sirius and the Sun as seen from the Mediterranean. Sirius is known as being the Dog Star as the prominent star in Canis Major. Thus, you have the dog days of summer.

Excellent summary. Many thanks.

Is this all sanctioned by the Flat Earth Model? Oops, sorry for bringing that up.

from Shakes3858:

from Fitzphile:

Indeed it was a clear, concise summary. It has seemed to me, however, that the "dog days" term is often conversationally applied to a bit later in the summer (through most of August) -- as in the so-called dog days of baseball season. This has caused me to wonder about the origin of "Indian summer," used to describe unusually warm temps into early weeks of what would otherwise be autumn.

(Perhaps it's now thought insensitive to Native Americans, though I wouldn't know why.)

from Shakes3858:

from Fitzphile:

Indeed it was a clear, concise summary. It has seemed to me, however, that the "dog days" term is often conversationally applied to a bit later in the summer (through most of August) -- as in the so-called dog days of baseball season. This has caused me to wonder about the origin of "Indian summer," used to describe unusually warm temps into early weeks of what would otherwise be autumn.

(Perhaps it's now thought insensitive to Native Americans, though I wouldn't know why.)
Not sure that I'm correct but I thought Indian summer referred to a warm spell after the first frost. Where I live first frost is in late September.

Not sure that I'm correct but I thought Indian summer referred to a warm spell after the first frost. Where I live first frost is in late September.

Are you back in the UP again? I was checking out the Purdue FNR program on the internet. Where do they hold their forestry camp now? Does Purdue have a field station anymore?

Are you back in the UP again? I was checking out the Purdue FNR program on the internet. Where do they hold their forestry camp now? Does Purdue have a field station anymore?

I'm back in the U.P. for now.
Purdue has held it's Forestry/ Wildlife/ Fisheries class on Hagerman Lake, in Iron River, MI for the past 20 years or so. They used to use an MSU facility just west of here but MSU closed it down. I don't know about a field station, maybe it is called something different.

That's Indian Summer, right?

Are you a Yooper?

I've lived in the U.P. for 27 years but that only makes me an honorary Yooper. You really have to be born here or at least grow up here, eh? It is a beautiful place; deep deep woods with nothing but wildlife for miles and miles. We have a loon's nest on one side of our dock and a sandhill crane's nest on the other. An osprey come to fish most evenings in the summer and Bald Eagles are everywhere. Pretty boring if you are not into that kind of thing and we have snow on the ground from early November to late April. Too long.

I've lived in the U.P. for 27 years but that only makes me an honorary Yooper. You really have to be born here or at least grow up here, eh? It is a beautiful place; deep deep woods with nothing but wildlife for miles and miles. We have a loon's nest on one side of our dock and a sandhill crane's nest on the other. An osprey come to fish most evenings in the summer and Bald Eagles are everywhere. Pretty boring if you are not into that kind of thing and we have snow on the ground from early November to late April. Too long.

I love the UP! My first experience with the UP was canoe camping on Neebish Island. I saw my first huge Hexagenia hatch there. Awesome. I also criss-crossed the UP on a bicycle after college. Aside from grumpy old Yoopers preemptively yelling at us because they thought we would toss our trash all over their yard, it was a great experience.

My first bald eagle sighting was also there...and I saw four that day. The first swooped down low right in front of my car.

I love the UP! My first experience with the UP was canoe camping on Neebish Island. I saw my first huge Hexagenia hatch there. Awesome. I also criss-crossed the UP on a bicycle after college. Aside from grumpy old Yoopers preemptively yelling at us because they thought we would toss our trash all over their yard, it was a great experience.

My first bald eagle sighting was also there...and I saw four that day. The first swooped down low right in front of my car.

You can come visit anytime. We are just north of the Wisconsin border. Our county has the highest Eagle density in MI and just south is the highest density in Wis. So this is eagle country. I see an eagle almost every day. Lots of Pileated woodpeckers and Hummers, cedar waxwings and kingfishers. Cranes and herons. (Kingfisher are less common.) My porch is a bird watchers paradise.
I called in a Barred owl last night. Sometimes I can even howl up a wolf but the coyotes don't like that.
and there is the Paulding light over in Watersmet. do, do, do, do. do, do, do, do.

You can come visit anytime. We are just north of the Wisconsin border. Our county has the highest Eagle density in MI and just south is the highest density in Wis. So this is eagle country. I see an eagle almost every day. Lots of Pileated woodpeckers and Hummers, cedar waxwings and kingfishers. Cranes and herons. (Kingfisher are less common.) My porch is a bird watchers paradise.
I called in a Barred owl last night. Sometimes I can even howl up a wolf but the coyotes don't like that.
and there is the Paulding light over in Watersmet. do, do, do, do. do, do, do, do.

It's a great area, and our adopted second home. Tomorrow morning heading up to our family cottage on Torch Lake, just southwest of Conover, to put in the pier and the screenhouse and listen to the loons. Summers up there are just transcendent.

You
It's a great area, and our adopted second home. Tomorrow morning heading up to our family cottage on Torch Lake, just southwest of Conover, to put in the pier and the screenhouse and listen to the loons. Summers up there are just transcendent.
You are about 35 minutes west from me. Lots of nice restaurants I especially like Lanny's. Max makes a great Martini. What lake are you on?

You

You are about 35 minutes west from me. Lots of nice restaurants I especially like Lanny's. Max makes a great Martini. What lake are you on?

We're on Torch Lake (small, quiet. No jet skis). And Lanny's is our favorite place to dine; you're right about the martinis. I'm familiar with Hagerman Lake, as well, having gone to Covenant Point as a teen (as did our kids). Stop by this week if you can. 5040 Wilsch Rd

You can't beat summers in that area!!! My grandparents have a cabin up there. It's one of my favorite places on earth.

I'm googling all of these lakes, checking out the depth, area, and gamefish species. I'd love to live up there in some winterized cabin on a lake.

We're on Torch Lake (small, quiet. No jet skis). And Lanny's is our favorite place to dine; you're right about the martinis. I'm familiar with Hagerman Lake, as well, having gone to Covenant Point as a teen (as did our kids). Stop by this week if you can. 5040 Wilsch Rd
If you have brought you kids to Covenant Point Between 1989 and 2014, we have met. I'm the guy who greeted every car at the gate.

I was the guy with the NU cap, proclaiming how it didn't look at all like it did in '64.

Man, I love you guys. Only football forum I know of where a thread about an opposing team also covers astronomy, meteorology, ancient civilizations, natural living, and the appreciation of a good martini. :salute:

[On VolNation, threads about opposing teams usually also include how hot their cheerleaders are and how Peyton was robbed by Woodson getting the Heisman. Doesn't have to be Michigan as the opposing team; any team will do for this sidebar]

Last edited:

Damn Uber. We're not far from the Uber retreat. Our cabin is on Pickerel lake, the smallest and last lake on the Inland Waterway. Do you ever make it to Charlevoix or Petoskey or Harbor Springs? Speaking of restaurants. You would love The Fish, just north of Harbor Springs. We'll be up there the first two weeks of August. The better half gets both weeks. Me? I only get one. But like you, the entire GOUNUII family thinks the entire area is a summer time paradise.

GOUNUII

Damn Uber. We're not far from the Uber retreat. Our cabin is on Pickerel lake, the smallest and last lake on the Inland Waterway. Do you ever make it to Charlevoix or Petoskey or Harbor Springs? Speaking of restaurants. You would love The Fish, just north of Harbor Springs. We'll be up there the first two weeks of August. The better half gets both weeks. Me? I only get one. But like you, the entire GOUNUII family thinks the entire area is a summer time paradise.

GOUNUII

No. You've got the wrong Torch Lake and you're a long way from the Uber retreat. The Uber retreat is in northern Wisconsin, over 200 miles away from Pickerel Lake in Emmet County, Michigan.

Emmet County is beautiful and home to one of my favorite towns...Bliss, Michigan. I had a memorable day riding through Emmet County on my way to Wilderness State Park in 1979. I saw cable TV (more specifically, topless women on cable TV) for the first time while staying overnight at North Central Michigan College the night before. Back then, a vagabond on a bicycle could stay in a college dorm for $5 or even free at frat houses. College dorms used to be like hostels back then. Those days are long gone now due to public paranoia.

Man, I love you guys. Only football forum I know of where a thread about an opposing team also covers astronomy, meteorology, ancient civilizations, natural living, and the appreciation of a good martini. :salute:

Don't forget Gladeskat's entomology reference.

Seriously, northern Michigan (starting around Traverse City in the LP) is one of the most underappreciated vacation spots on the face of the earth. This thread is making me want to pack my bags, depart the heat and humidity of Nashville, and go get my Great Lakes fix. It's been too long.

[On VolNation, threads about opposing teams usually also include how hot their cheerleaders are and how Peyton was robbed by Woodson getting the Heisman. Doesn't have to be Michigan as the opposing team; any team will do for this sidebar]

Our greatest expertise, IMO is in Craft beer. I've learned so much over the years.

GOUNUII

Glades beat me to it. Yeah, our Torch Lake holds a thimbleful compared to the bathtub of its namesake in Lower Michigan. Our area is rustic but not quite as pristine as the UP a few miles to the north. You should take your better half across Mackinac (or take the car ferry from Ludington) and experience da Nort Woods with us some time.

I found it amusing that GOUNUII confused the two Torch Lakes. The Torch Lake near Traverse City is only about 1000 times larger than the Torch Lake where Uber has a camp.

Completely off topic...but look at the size of this fricking red ear sunfish! 5.78 pounds!

2048c969c35e2b53c4feb23b3d2cf440.jpg

I found it amusing that GOUNUII confused the two Torch Lakes. The Torch Lake near Traverse City is only about 1000 times larger than the Torch Lake where Uber has a camp.

Completely off topic...but look at the size of this fricking red ear sunfish! 5.78 pounds!

That is the biggest red ear I have ever seen.

Glad I could offer you some amusement Glades. I obviously don't know all my drop in the bucket lakes around the Great Lakes. Heard mention of Torch Lake and Michigan ... and didn't realize we were talking Wisconsin and a Torch pond. Oh well ... it's still a wonderful part of the country. Very underappreciated IMHO. A testament to Uber's good taste and the adventures of your travels.

GOUNUII

GOUNUII
I spent one glorious, unemployed (pre-grad school, I promise) summer on Torch Lake. West side, north of Elk Rapids.

There are about a million things worse than spending a summer squatting in your future father in law's Torch Lake cabin. We joked that swimming season on the Torch was August 8-14 - otherwise, wear your wetsuit. But no complaints about anything else.

Northern Michigan is beautiful for, say, four months of the year. My future wife had 'a guy' who towed her out of her Torch Lake cottage ditch ~once a week all winter - windy, long driveway, sure, but about 18 inches of snow, too.

Northern Michigan is the first (and only) place I saw snow in June (or May, and probably April).

Glad I could offer you some amusement Glades. I obviously don't know all my drop in the bucket lakes around the Great Lakes. Heard mention of Torch Lake and Michigan ... and didn't realize we were talking Wisconsin and a Torch pond. Oh well ... it's still a wonderful part of the country. Very underappreciated IMHO. A testament to Uber's good taste and the adventures of your travels.
GOUNUII

When Uber said Torch Lake, I first thought the same thing, but I figured that it was in Wisconsin because I knew Deeringcat lived in the UP near Wisconsin. The whole upper midwest is great.

GOUNUII, are you and your wife gonna go crazy at the 4th of July Sandbar Party? That must be a royal PITA for local residents and camp owners. A good opportunity to make a few hundred dollars recycling aluminum cans, though.

Last edited:
I spent one glorious, unemployed (pre-grad school, I promise) summer on Torch Lake. West side, north of Elk Rapids.

There are about a million things worse than spending a summer squatting in your future father in law's Torch Lake cabin. We joked that swimming season on the Torch was August 8-14 - otherwise, wear your wetsuit. But no complaints about anything else.

Northern Michigan is beautiful for, say, four months of the year. My future wife had 'a guy' who towed her out of her Torch Lake cottage ditch ~once a week all winter - windy, long driveway, sure, but about 18 inches of snow, too.

Northern Michigan is the first (and only) place I saw snow in June (or May, and probably April).
That's because it's south of Lake Superior. Cooler temps well down into Northern Wisconsin all summer.

Where was that Sunfish caught?

That's because it's south of Lake Superior. Cooler temps well down into Northern Wisconsin all summer.
I kayaked on Superior on Tuesday for 6 hours. The air temperature was 60 degrees with bright sun. Ten miles south 72 degrees, 60 miles south 78 degrees. Superior is actually a force of nature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT