ADVERTISEMENT

Woah. Randy Bates to Pitt as D Coordinator.

Most QCs would jump at a full-time opportunity, though Patton can probably be a bit more selective.

Unfortunately for you, we already have an OL coach.

No, but we do have a guy that stays at a Holiday Inn Express regularly and is tight with Fitz. Since he had nowhere else to stick, PF made him OL coach cuz no one would notice.

Wanny. That's all you need to know about the recent past
Or Larry Fitzgerald or Darrelle Revis or LeSean McCoy or Aaron Donald or James Conner or Dion Lewis.........

No need for anybody on either side to get parochial and defensive about things. I don't know anything about Bates but hope for the best. Good luck going forward.

Or Larry Fitzgerald or Darrelle Revis or LeSean McCoy or Aaron Donald or James Conner or Dion Lewis.........

No need for anybody on either side to get parochial and defensive about things. I don't know anything about Bates but hope for the best. Good luck going forward.

Wait, is the main goal of college football programs to function as a minor league affiliate for NFL teams? Now I get it, all this time i thought the goal was to generate outstanding student athletes who compete to win on and off the field. Silly me.

Last edited:
Wait, is the main goal of college football programs to function as a minor league affiliate for NFL teams? Now I get it, all this time i thought the goal was to generate outstanding student athletes who compete to win on and off the field. Silly me.
I guess some folks do feel the need to be parochial. Good for you.

So let's get this straight:
  • NU beats Pitt in a bowl game where Pitt was favored, ranked and had a whole gaggle of fans who felt they were "disrespected" by having to play lowly NU and talked trash.
  • A year later, Pitt hires NU's linebackers' coach to be its DC.
  • Pitt fans specifically come to a thread on the NU board about this occurrence and talk trash.
  • NU fans are in the wrong?

Last edited:

Parochial? Maybe you need to look up the definition of the word. I am not the one claiming superiority in college football based on how many of my university’s players have matriculated to the NFL. Talk about a narrow and myopic view of what constitutes a successful college football program.

Parochial? Maybe you need to look up the definition of the word. I am not the one claiming superiority in college football based on how many of my university’s players have matriculated to the NFL. Talk about a narrow and myopic view of what constitutes a successful college football program.

When it's all they have and they're in denial, people play what they have. Makes them feel better in a very strange sort of way ... even as they are making ignorant fools of themselves. I wish Randy all the best. But seriously, the best days of Pitt football are decades behind us. And there is nothing going forward that looks promising for the Panthers.

Gotta give them this much. Their list of individual all time greats is really, really good. Very competitive with those from any other school I can think of.

GOUNUII

Reactions: corbi296
When it's all they have and they're in denial, people play what they have. Makes them feel better in a very strange sort of way ... even as they are making ignorant fools of themselves. I wish Randy all the best. But seriously, the best days of Pitt football are decades behind us. And there is nothing going forward that looks promising for the Panthers.

Gotta give them this much. Their list of individual all time greats is really, really good. Very competitive with those from any other school I can think of.

GOUNUII

I wonder how many graduated with a BA or BS degree from Pitt. When I was at Pitt, grad rates were among the worst in D1 college football. Really bad! Hopefully, things have improved in the past 20 years.

I wonder how many graduated with a BA or BS degree from Pitt. When I was at Pitt, grad rates were among the worst in D1 college football. Really bad! Hopefully, things have improved in the past 20 years.

20 years? I though you graduated from Pitt 40 years ago.

Good for Bates - he deserves it.

A good sign if position coaches and co-ordinators have the opportunity to move on and get a promotion.

While some stability on a coaching staff is good thing, too much can lead to stagnation (also is a sign of coaches not being in demand) and is somewhat overrated in importance.

Case in point, Wisky changed head coaches 3 times in a pretty short amount of time and they just keep on winning (meanwhile, 2 of their former head coaches haven't been able to maintain the same level of success).

But even more so than the head coaching position, Wisky has churned thru numerous DCs (most moving on to head coaching jobs or to programs that are willing to pay them a lot more than UW is willing to do).

With Jim Leonhard apparently already getting offers after just 2 years in coaching (1 as a DB coach for the Badgers before getting promoted to DC).

Last edited:
Nothing against Pitt (I live in Pa., after all), but you've had a couple of trollers come over to our board and give us disrespect. I've been over to the Pitt board and made a couple of positive posts about Bates. I'm frankly surprised by the number of posters over there who seem to think Bates is some kind of minor-league hire. If you don't understand the disparagement of Pitt, I'm equally puzzled that Pitt fans apparently have almost zero knowledge of what goes on at NU. I guess we tend to follow our own teams and leagues to the exclusion of all others. We're used to being ignored at NU, where we've just had one of the greatest backs in the history of NCAA football (Justin Jackson) who will graduate with little publicity at the national level.

Many Pitt fans are deluded and are still living in the past (the long ago past).

About a decade ago, Pitt fans were totally confident that they would land Jordan Mabin and were completely dumbfounded when Mabin ended up choosing the 'Cats (after all, how could NU FB that had won 3 B1G titles when Mabin was kid ever compare to the ONE Big East Championship for Pitt?).

Of course they went on the usual spiel about how NU can't ever compare to Pitt due to all those national championships before many of our own grandparents were born with many taking shots at NU.

Seems like they're still living in the past.

Yes, you have a long and storied history whose feats we can only aspire to meet one day. So does Army and the U of Chicago.

Where the two programs are today is a different story, as evidenced by the outcome of our last meeting and results of this most recent season. Let's just say that Pitt isn't the source of inspiration for us in terms of where we want to get to. Nothing against Pitt, and good luck next year in football.
Revis, Fitzgerald, Arron Donald, Shady McCoy , Tyler Boyd, all within the past 10 years.......just sayin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT