ADVERTISEMENT

Women

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
Defeated Lewis 84-69 in their exhibition. Should be noted that Lewis was a far tougher test for the women then the men had, as they are ranked #5 in all of division 2, though we did jump out to a big lead and I don't believe the lead was below double digits in the second half. Looks like most everyone is healthy, and Amber Jamison did play after taking the year off following the suicide of her roommate the prior year. She didn't start, but looked like her old self, with 15 points on 7 of 9 shooting in only 14 minutes of play. Pallas had a rough time with Lewis' smaller quicker lineup and foul trouble and finished with 9 points and seven boards. Abi Scheid and Lindsey Pulliam looked great, finishing with 22 and 18, respectvely. Only 20 from the other 9 players who played though, which was a bit concerning, though it is just nice to have a lot of bodies after the injury disaster that was last year.

Nice effort, but we'll find out right away if it is a sign of things to come as they start on the road Tuesday against Green Bay, a nearly 30- win NCAA team from a year ago, then come home Sunday to face an NCAA sweet-16 team from last year. Duke. Yup, just a tad more difficult then the men's schedule...

Defeated Lewis 84-69 in their exhibition. Should be noted that Lewis was a far tougher test for the women then the men had, as they are ranked #5 in all of division 2, though we did jump out to a big lead and I don't believe the lead was below double digits in the second half. Looks like most everyone is healthy, and Amber Jamison did play after taking the year off following the suicide of her roommate the prior year. She didn't start, but looked like her old self, with 15 points on 7 of 9 shooting in only 14 minutes of play. Pallas had a rough time with Lewis' smaller quicker lineup and foul trouble and finished with 9 points and seven boards. Abi Scheid and Lindsey Pulliam looked great, finishing with 22 and 18, respectvely. Only 20 from the other 9 players who played though, which was a bit concerning, though it is just nice to have a lot of bodies after the injury disaster that was last year.

Nice effort, but we'll find out right away if it is a sign of things to come as they start on the road Tuesday against Green Bay, a nearly 30- win NCAA team from a year ago, then come home Sunday to face an NCAA sweet-16 team from last year. Duke. Yup, just a tad more difficult then the men's schedule...
Very happy to hear that the Cats are healthy to start the season. Injuries and transfers have decimated the Cats recently. Hope Coach Joe and his team can have a solid season.

Mike, do you think Coach Joe is feeling some heat to have a strong year? I don’t follow that closely, but it seems like we have had some disappointing stretches.

Mike, do you think Coach Joe is feeling some heat to have a strong year? I don’t follow that closely, but it seems like we have had some disappointing stretches.

Nah. He's 62, and only came here relatively late in his coaching career (after 19 outstanding years at GW) to find better healthcare and services for his son, who has autism. He took a program that was an amazingly bad 55-193 over the 20 seasons prior to his arrival and turned it around, going 161-158 in the 10 years since, getting us back to the NCAAs for the first time since Don Perrelli roamed the sidelines, and finishing with 2 20-win seasons in the last 4 years (which again we had not had since Coach Don). We regressed rather naturally last year since 4 (!) 1,000 point scorers graduated including one to the WNBA as the 5th overall pick! A boatload of injuries, the death one one of our players due to suicide and leave of absence for a year of her roommate, who was one of our best returning players, obviously did not help matters. But I expect a return to form this year if we can avoid major injuries, as we've now had two stellar recruiting classes in a row joining some solid upperclassmen preseason first team all BIG selection Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah,, who can dunk and is a double-double machine.

I strongly suspect Joe will retire here, and one of the current assistants will become his successor. He will hit the 700 win milestone sometime next year, and has little left to prove after that. No inside info, though.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

Very happy to hear Amber Jamison is back. Such an incredibly difficult situation she had to endure. My heart goes out her. I hope she has a terrific season.

Thanks for the recap, mikewebb68. I was late arriving and only saw the second half. Anyone know what's up with Lauryn Satterwhite? She missed last season with a knee injury and didn't get out of her warm-ups yesterday. She didn't appear to be wearing a brace or anything, so I'm surprised she didn't play.

We are better than last year, but from season two forward when he had Beth’s recruits and many of his own, are we better now? I’m not sure. That was a good team though loaded at the top, and sort of reminiscent of Carmody’s second(?) season when he had some of O’Neill remaining beauts. I don’t know that our WBB is better now and that’s the test of progress. We are way better than the day Joe was hired of course but are we better than the end of his second season?

Thanks for the recap, mikewebb68. I was late arriving and only saw the second half. Anyone know what's up with Lauryn Satterwhite? She missed last season with a knee injury and didn't get out of her warm-ups yesterday. She didn't appear to be wearing a brace or anything, so I'm surprised she didn't play.
Perhaps she is still getting back into shape? It was a major injury, and this was only an exhibition...

We are better than last year, but from season two forward when he had Beth’s recruits and many of his own, are we better now? I’m not sure. That was a good team though loaded at the top, and sort of reminiscent of Carmody’s second(?) season when he had some of O’Neill remaining beauts. I don’t know that our WBB is better now and that’s the test of progress. We are way better than the day Joe was hired of course but are we better than the end of his second season?
We are far, far better now, imo, then when he had some of Beth's recruits. She and her predecessor may have been the two worst coaches in the history of the program...

We are far, far better now, imo, then when he had some of Beth's recruits. She and her predecessor may have been the two worst coaches in the history of the program...

Idk, I liked Amy and Orban. Hackney was Joe’s I think, a transfer? Amy alone makes that team competitive against the current one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT